Are You Worried About Coronavirus?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Michael View Post
    You should be a detective. You have an inquisitive mind. Don’t get me going on how expensive everything is here. They tax “everything”. Gas is still $3-$4 a gallon.
    That's another sad thing. Gas is so cheap here....but we have no place to go! ::

Comment

• I regularly visit this thread to observe the time-line and the changing viewpoints related to the virus.

I was scared in February, closed in March.

Comment

• I do too.
        • I am still open.
        • I am still using the exact same universal precautions and cleaning routines.
        • I am still doing my morning quick health checks.
        • I did minimize wooden toys to make cleaning easier, but I always do that during cold, flu and pollen season.
        • My exclusion policy was edited to exclude anyone participating in large groups during the shelter in place order, taking their kids to stores or otherwise taking unnecessary exposure risks.
        • We are on shelter in place until May 1st, now.
        - Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.

Comment

• Our whole city is shut down until June now. No word on schools yet but I am sure it will follow soon.

Comment

• Originally posted by kidsncats View Post
            I regularly visit this thread to observe the time-line and the changing viewpoints related to the virus.

I was scared in February, closed in March.
            It is a great way to see how we had to manage with ever changing information that was available. I have been writing more on FB regarding what I believe needs to be done to get back to normal. Here is one post I wrote a week ago:

Here’s my take on the current COVID-19 situation. Self-Isolation has a short shelf-life. Almost everyone on the planet has had influenza, likewise, everyone will contract this virus over time. At some point humanity attains Herd Immunity. Some of us may already have had this virus and are immune to it. We need to test America for COVID-19 and those that are shown to be immune, need to get back into their normal rhythm of life.

1. Mass testing to identify the infected and the immune
            2. Management of the virus with drugs
            3. Develop a vaccine
            4. Get back to normal life

This is what I envision the government doing to expedite an exit strategy from our current immobilization. The first phase would be mass testing to identify those who are infected with COVID-19. Then approving an array of drugs like hydroxychloraquine and azithromycin to manage the virus which would reduce the number of those needing ICU hospitalization and ventilation from pneumonia. Next-mass testing to determine who is immune. Those deemed healthy would be allowed to go back to work and be released from quarantine restrictions. Lastly, the approval of a vaccine to further immunize the rest of the population and end this national emergency.

Comment

It is a great way to see how we had to manage with ever changing information that was available. I have been writing more on FB regarding what I believe needs to be done to get back to normal. Here is one post I wrote a week ago:

Here’s my take on the current COVID-19 situation. Self-Isolation has a short shelf-life. Almost everyone on the planet has had influenza, likewise, everyone will contract this virus over time. At some point humanity attains Herd Immunity. Some of us may already have had this virus and are immune to it. We need to test America for COVID-19 and those that are shown to be immune, need to get back into their normal rhythm of life.

3. Develop a vaccine

This is what I envision the government doing to expedite an exit strategy from our current immobilization. The first phase would be mass testing to identify those who are infected with COVID-19. Then approving an array of drugs like hydroxychloraquine and azithromycin to manage the virus which would reduce the number of those needing ICU hospitalization and ventilation from pneumonia. Next-mass testing to determine who is immune. Those deemed healthy would be allowed to go back to work and be released from quarantine restrictions. Lastly, the approval of a vaccine to further immunize the rest of the population and end this national emergency.
              This is pretty much what I've been thinking all along. We can't just shut down huge parts of our economy forever. We need to focus more on testing and isolating those that have the virus and let everyone else get back into the business of life.

I am imagining that when they lift all the restrictions we're going to have another big jump in infections because those people who are "carriers" with no signs of the virus are going to be out mixing again with those who are vulnerable to it, and boom, we're right back where we started.

I hope they've got all the really smart people working day and night on a vaccine, treatment and testing.

Comment

• Some doctors are finding success with hydroxychloriquine and zinc, but honestly I think it needs to be given to people before their symptoms become severe.

My friend in New Jersey had Covid 19 and was in the hospital for 2 weeks. He is now home and doing physical therapy because he lost 20% muscle. He gets exhausted brushing his teeth but is healthy considering his ordeal.
                A friend of a friend who is in their 50s is in the hospital and not doing good. They were given this med combo 2 days ago. Waiting to see if it works.

Comment

• Originally posted by MyAngels View Post
                  I hope they've got all the really smart people working day and night on a vaccine, treatment and testing.
                  It took around 5 years to develop a vaccine for polio and mumps. 18 months would be extremely fast but we can manage the damage of this virus with drugs until then.

Originally posted by MomBoss View Post
                  Some doctors are finding success with hydroxychloriquine and zinc, but honestly I think it needs to be given to people before their symptoms become severe.
                  I agree. They should also have all front-line health care workers on it for short periods, while on the job. This particular drug can be hard on the retina if taken for a year or more. It appears to keep the viral load down. Take a look at all the countries that take it while battling malaria. Their infectious numbers have stayed low. That includes Africa, some counties in Indonesia and Central America. Obviously not everyone takes the drug there but many do.

There are other drugs being tested that show promise. No reason why we can’t continue to wear face masks and sanitize while living life more out in the open and working as normal. I would not be opposed to taking a flight if everyone was required to wear an n95 face mask. Like having to keep your seatbelt on the whole flight.

I know this disease currently is dangerous but so is living. Do so at your own risk. Live wholly and build up your immune system. Herd immunity is a real thing that will eventually happen with COVID-19. We’ll get through this. Hopefully the lasting damage won’t be psychological.
                  Last edited by Michael; 04-10-2020, 09:59 PM.

Comment

It took around 5 years to develop a vaccine for polio and mumps. 18 months would be extremely fast but we can manage the damage of this virus with drugs until then.

I agree. They should also have all front-line health care workers on it for short periods, while on the job. This particular drug can be hard on the retina if taken for a year or more. It appears to keep the viral load down. Take a look at all the countries that take it while battling malaria. Their infectious numbers have stayed low. That includes Africa, some counties in Indonesia and Central America. Obviously not everyone takes the drug there but many do.

There are other drugs being tested that show promise. No reason why we can’t continue to wear face masks and sanitize while living life more out in the open and working as normal. I would not be opposed to taking a flight if everyone was required to wear an n95 face mask. Like having to keep your seatbelt on the whole flight.

I know this disease currently is dangerous but so is living. Do so at your own risk. Live wholly and build up your immune system. Herd immunity is a real thing that will eventually happen with COVID-19. We’ll get through this. Hopefully the lasting damage won’t be psychological.
                    Couldnt agree more!!
                    Last edited by Michael; 04-10-2020, 09:58 PM.

Comment

3. Develop a vaccine

Antibody tests, millions of them. We need to get back to life.

Comment

• My husband is an at-risk individual. Over 65, asthma, diabetes, hypertension, rapid pulse with AFIB and now I think he's come down with shingles. I closed down for him; his pulse and blood pressure were sky-rocketing because of the stress.

Last night I looked over at him and said, "Wouldn't it be ironic if you were one of the people that had a natural immunity to this virus?"

It does happen. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

• Update: 10 months
                          • I am still open.
                          • My clients/families had one exposure/negative test and two false positives/documented, combined, to date. No actual cases.
                          • I am still using the same pre-covid-19 universal precautions and arrival prescreening routine.
                          • I have not closed one single day.

How are all of you faring business-wise?
                          - Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cat Herder View Post
                            Update: 10 months
                            • I am still open.
                            • My clients/families had one exposure/negative test and two false positives/documented, combined, to date. No actual cases.
                            • I am still using the same pre-covid-19 universal precautions and arrival prescreening routine.
                            • I have not closed one single day.

How are all of you faring business-wise?
                            My update!
                            - Still open!
                            - We've had multiple kids out due to positive exposures, who received negative tests after being excluded, only 2 five-day closures due to direct positives in our center but none of us 3 teachers have gotten it yet! I get tested weekly as a precaution and have been neg every time!
                            - Same screening questions, exclusion reasons, temp checks, and modified operating practices that we have been going on since March
                            - Like I said earlier, we have closed twice for 5 days at a time during this whole thing, once in August and once in late October. Luckily no one else contracted it

We have lost a lot of clients since this all started whether it be clients who are now working from home and can keep their kids with them, the family that we just kicked out (I'll share the story with you guys one of these days ), or families who simply couldn't afford us anymore. Luckily we are still receiving a bi-weekly grant, which has help a lot.

Comment

• Originally posted by CenterTeacher20 View Post
                              Luckily we are still receiving a bi-weekly grant, which has help a lot.
                              I am so glad to hear that. happyface

We were given a one time grant for cleaning supplies and another is in the works. Hopefully that comes through. The price gouging during shortages did take a bite out of my savings. The grant really came in handy. I had to give up getting anything local. "1 per customer" rules make running group care almost impossible. :: Yes, most places here still have that imposed on paper goods, cleaning supplies, gloves and infant supplies.

Comment

• We have a grant in ND called the CEOG, basically they pay you a certain amount per child per your max capacity that you are allowed for children in your care. We're allowed in our space with our license to have up to 30 children so we get paid a certain amount for 30 children regardless of whether we have 30 enrolled or not. (We currently only have 16 enrolled so I'm glad thats a thing) It was double the current amount until June, and then the $ went to half the original amount. Still helps though..

Comment

Working...
                                X