Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah this used to happen to me ALOT! I figured out a couple of ways to ensure it doesn't happen, at least not that often.

First of all, I try really hard not to react in the moment so that I don't loose control of the situation.

Second, I have a schedule change request form that I post on my website for the parents to submit for APPROVAL.

Third, I send out random reminders of contract terms, extended day fees, etc. There are a couple that I think this mom should see.

If you would like to see my form or the reminders I use, just send me a PM with your email and I would be happy to share.

BTW: You are so right to refer to your contract. The only thing is most parents don't seem to read those kinds of things.

Comment

Well, she was 16 minutes late, and because she was late there were other parents here so I told her I would call her tonight to discuss today's debacle. It's clear now that she believes she is my boss. She told me that she didn't mean to upset me but she doesn't understand what the big deal is because I am a daycare, aren't I, and aren't we here to work with parents and their schedules? So we will be having a big discussion tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by Tasha View Post
        Well, she was 16 minutes late, and because she was late there were other parents here so I told her I would call her tonight to discuss today's debacle. It's clear now that she believes she is my boss. She told me that she didn't mean to upset me but she doesn't understand what the big deal is because I am a daycare, aren't I, and aren't we here to work with parents and their schedules? So we will be having a big discussion tonight.
        Uh oh...Good Luck tonight, set her straight and fast or find someone else. Good grief...Can't wait to hear how this convo goes! I would be sure to let her know you aren't just a "daycare" but a business owner with a very clear contract that she just recently signed, did she even read it??

Comment

Good luck tonight. Keep us updated.

Comment

I charge $10 per hour outside my normal hours so if she gets dropped off at 6:30am when she is contracted for 8am then that is an extra $15 added to the daily fee, plus late fees for pickup.

Make it very clear to mom that you cannot operate the way a center does because there is one staff member. Centers rotate shifts so they can provide extended hours, but no staff member works more than 8 hours a day. Tell her you can accept her child outside of contracted hours for a fee with 24 hr notice at your discretion. You provide a service within a specific time frame. She can either adhere to the policies or go back to centre care.

Comment

Lol, someone didn't read their contract >_<

Comment

That would make me grrr....none of us have nothing better to do right? Keep us updated!! I'll get the popcorn!

Comment

I left a message a couple of hours ago and she has not called back. I don't have any idea what she is thinking. She'd better call me tonight because 8 am dropoffs are very hectic and there won't be time then to have the kind of talk I want.

Comment

Originally posted by thrivingchildcarecom View Post
                    Yeah this used to happen to me ALOT! I figured out a couple of ways to ensure it doesn't happen, at least not that often.

First of all, I try really hard not to react in the moment so that I don't loose control of the situation.

Second, I have a schedule change request form that I post on my website for the parents to submit for APPROVAL.

Third, I send out random reminders of contract terms, extended day fees, etc. There are a couple that I think this mom should see.

If you would like to see my form or the reminders I use, just send me a PM with your email and I would be happy to share.

BTW: You are so right to refer to your contract. The only thing is most parents don't seem to read those kinds of things.
                    Yes, would love to see the forms!

Comment

I left a message a couple of hours ago and she has not called back. I don't have any idea what she is thinking. She'd better call me tonight because 8 am dropoffs are very hectic and there won't be time then to have the kind of talk I want.
                      I would send her an email outlining the issues and the fees that she is owing. Now before drop off.

If she hasn't called back, and arrives to drop off at a busy time, even have a print out of the email to hand her to read before she leaves. "Good morning, dcm. You didn't call me back last night or respond to my email so I wanted to make sure that you saw this before dropping off this morning."

Then tell her to go and get the late fees, with her child, before returning. Smile sweetly.

Comment

Oh boy. She's a fun one.
                        Replace replace replace. Because you KNOW these kinds of things will happen again with someone who feels this way.

Comment

Originally posted by Josiegirl View Post
                          Oh boy. She's a fun one.
                          Replace replace replace. Because you KNOW these kinds of things will happen again with someone who feels this way.
                          I'm hoping to avoid that because it's such a process starting a new family. Sigh. But I'm afraid you're right. She texted me last night that she had unexpected company and was sorry she didn't have time to talk. I was sorry, too, that she couldn't manage to call. In my voicemail, I told her that she had to bring in cash for the late-fee and for the unscheduled hours. She should be here in a few minutes, so we'll see how it goes.

Comment

So how did it go???

Comment

Hope it went ok this morning.

Comment

She told me that she didn't mean to upset me but she doesn't understand what the big deal is because I am a daycare, aren't I, and aren't we here to work with parents and their schedules?
                                She didn't see what the big deal was even though you came to the door with wet hair and in a robe? I would not even discuss this with her further, I would terminate immediately, and I never term. That kind of disrespect would not fly with me at all.

Comment

Working...
                                X