This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New DCM Just Shows Up Early at My Door

I am so angry right now and I don't know if it's justified. I got up at 6 this morning and saw that I had a text from a new dcm sent the night before when I was asleep. Couldn't read it without my contacts so I just jumped in the shower and then put them in. When I got out of the shower, I heard a banging on my front door, looked out and there was DCM and her kid. I remember the text so I go back to read it and she's TELLING me that she's dropping off DCG at 6:30 (instead of her normal 8 am dropoff) because she has a 7 am doctor's appointment. So I have wet hair and a robe on when I get to the door, and the little girl starts in with ''Where were you, we've been knocking!"
    I told DCM that I didn't get the text until this morning and I need to approve any schedule changes. I might feel a little better if she was remotely apologetic, but she wasn't. I told her we'd discuss this at pickup and she said she was probably going to be a few minutes late because she'd get to work late this morning. I just told her to read the contract because late charges will apply... How would you handle this?

Wow, did you take her at 6:30? I can't believe the nerve of some people. Since she's new, I would assume she doesn't realize that you don't work for her. I would just highlight the areas in her contract that talk about early and late drop offs and hand it to her.

Comment

I would have told her NO at the door.

"Sorry dcm, you did not notify me of your schedule change at least 24 hours in advance so I am unable to request your change." and then I would have told her "See you at 8!" and closed the door. NOPE. I only do schedule changes when I feel like it. I charge extra for them. I have a max # of hours and contracted times for a reason.

7 am doctor appt?

Not knowing about it until the night before?

Sounds like total BS to me.

Comment

Ohhhh heck no!
        I wouldn't have been as nice as you were.

I wouldn't have opened the door and she would have gotten a return text AT OPENING that I do not accept drop ins and she is not allowed to drop off or pick up anytime beyond her contracted timeframe.

Comment

I would have turned her away. A big part of the reason is she is new and didn't follow policy. I would be afraid this would become a habit if I let them in. I would let her know in no uncertain terms if this happened again I would term her on the spot.

Comment

Originally posted by daycarediva View Post
            I would have told her NO at the door.

"Sorry dcm, you did not notify me of your schedule change at least 24 hours in advance so I am unable to request your change." and then I would have told her "See you at 8!" and closed the door. NOPE. I only do schedule changes when I feel like it. I charge extra for them. I have a max # of hours and contracted times for a reason.

7 am doctor appt?

Not knowing about it until the night before?

Sounds like total BS to me.

Comment

What doc opens at 7 am? Sounds like she either went in early to make up time for leaving to go to appointment or she had an appointment at Starbucks with her friends.

Why was it so hard to just say no to her?
              http://www.amazon.com/Daycare-Whispe...=doing+daycare

Comment

Originally posted by nannyde View Post
                What doc opens at 7 am? Sounds like she either went in early to make up time for leaving to go to appointment or she had an appointment at Starbucks with her friends.

Our clinics are open at 7am here. So is my dentist

Comment

Well. Water over the bridge now, charge her your biggest contractually allowed fee.
                  Text it to her::

Hey mom. Your fee for early drop off is ($$) and needs to be paid in cash at pick up or an additional fee will be charged. Care will not be resumed until it's paid.

Plus at pickup there would be a severe lecture about curtesy, respect, and procedure.
                  I might say something like,

"This mornings events will NOT be repeated. You had no confirmation of me even receiving your message, let alone knowledge of me being able to accommodate an early drop off. This is the only warning I will give. If this happens again I will answer the door with your child's belongings and care will be terminated immediately. Your extra fee for this morning is($$) and needs to be paid in full immediately. "

Comment

Oh no, not another one!!!! I would absolutely charge her and make care unavailable to her until it is paid. You need to set the tone with this one for sure. That is just plain unacceptable and I wouldn't allow for a late pickup either.

Comment

Originally posted by nannyde View Post

It wasn't so hard to just say no to her. I opened the door because they were banging on it, and truthfully, I was just
                      stunned by the situation. She said that she had forgotten about the appointment until last night - and we do have doctors in this city who open super early to accommodate people who work, so I do believe that. She is coming from a center, where I guess early drop offs are allowed. I don't know. But I do know that we went over change of schedules during the interview and I stressed to her - and all my clients - that it is totally my discretion whether I can accommodate. She knows the rule and just didn't care or didn't think it would matter.
                      And I hate to say it, but the little girl annoyed me big-time, with her hand on her hip spouting off to me. Ugh. This is only their second week.

Comment

Originally posted by Tasha View Post
                        It wasn't so hard to just say no to her. I opened the door because they were banging on it, and truthfully, I was just
                        stunned by the situation. She said that she had forgotten about the appointment until last night - and we do have doctors in this city who open super early to accommodate people who work, so I do believe that. She is coming from a center, where I guess early drop offs are allowed. I don't know. But I do know that we went over change of schedules during the interview and I stressed to her - and all my clients - that it is totally my discretion whether I can accommodate. She knows the rule and just didn't care or didn't think it would matter.
                        And I hate to say it, but the little girl annoyed me big-time, with her hand on her hip spouting off to me. Ugh. This is only their second week.
                        I think some parents think all we emphasize on during interview is for the "other" parents. Really gets on my nerves! I had a child come in yesterday with a large blanket, goggles, stuffed bear, and sunglasses....I stopped them before entering....the parent said "you want me to discard of these don't you"...I said "YES"...... Here's your sign is what i want to say::::::::

Comment

Whoa the little girl said that to you? Holy cow. Guess she learns her lack of respect from momma. How old is the little girl? I totally understand being stuck in the moment and I'm sure you'll explain how things are going to work in the future and I bet this won't happen again. At least for you. She may try it, but you'll be ready next time!

Comment

I have a hard time reacting when I get caught off guard also, so I totally get that. But now is the time to make sure she knows it isn't okay. You can do it at pickup. When you do just say something like "you caught me off guard this morning and put me on the spot, but I will not allow this to happen again without procedure being followed. The fee for a last minute schedule change will be $XX from here on out.".

Comment

I don't think well before coffee, so I can see letting them in stunned :hug: I have started trying to take a breath and process before reacting lately. It helps a little.

I would put them on notice (this is the only warning) and I would probably be interviewing just in case

Comment

Working...
                              X