Other Employment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Yes. I've wondered ever since I started reading this forum just why everyone seems so impressed w/ Nannyde. Experienced, yes, but I find it very off-putting the way almost every post of hers is all about "I do this, you should too. I am right, always." Perhaps it's just the style of how she writes, but I get such a feeling that she acts so superior to everyone else. And many on here treat her that way too. Perhaps she does have great things to say to be helpful, but the commander style of saying it just makes me cringe, makes it difficult for me to hear the helpfulness. There are nicer ways to get points across, without sounding so bossy. In my state, the regs do not allow us to do anything "social" that would interfere w/ supervising the children, let alone having other employment, and certainly not as many other endeavors as Nannyde has.
    Nan in no way needs anyone to defend her. Her checking account says that her parents love her style and think she rocks. I don't get a superior vibe from her. Her posts always sound to me like she is saying "I do x, take it, leave it, or make it your own". No two people are alike, no two people do a job exactly the same way or for the same reasons. I like Nans posts. She gives the complete picture so I can choose what parts might make me happier. Obviously she does her job, her assistant does hers, and you do yours. Live and let live!

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Yes. I've wondered ever since I started reading this forum just why everyone seems so impressed w/ Nannyde. Experienced, yes, but I find it very off-putting the way almost every post of hers is all about "I do this, you should too. I am right, always." Perhaps it's just the style of how she writes, but I get such a feeling that she acts so superior to everyone else. And many on here treat her that way too. Perhaps she does have great things to say to be helpful, but the commander style of saying it just makes me cringe, makes it difficult for me to hear the helpfulness. There are nicer ways to get points across, without sounding so bossy. In my state, the regs do not allow us to do anything "social" that would interfere w/ supervising the children, let alone having other employment, and certainly not as many other endeavors as Nannyde has.
      I'm the first one on here to say "do as you please" and get paid for it. If I'm asked questions I'm going to say how I do it. Problem is anytime you start talking money and time people start accusing you of robbing the poor kids of their childhood.

It gets old.

I'm able to have "endeavors" because I have earned it. I am able to do ten things at once. I'm able to handle anything that happens before it even becomes a flicker of a problem. I help raise AMAZING kids who have fabulous, smart, and present parents. I take care of my staff assistant and raise her right alongside the kids. I can participate on this board with a little time typing and a lot of time thinking when something comes up. I can do my other jobs at the same time I do this job. It's all the same to me. I've lived, breathed, and studied child care my entire adult life.

No matter what I do... the most important thing to me is to bring along all the people in my life to do the best they can with the children they have. That's what I try to teach and do in my every day. If my methods don't sit well with you then deny them and go your own way. It's the "idea" of them that I want to offer not the insistance that they are right and for you. You know the difference so take what is best and toss the rest.
      http://www.amazon.com/Daycare-Whispe...=doing+daycare

Comment

I answered an ad for an assistant once...

And the parents did NOT know I would be alone with the kids, meet me, or anything else.

I think one of the great things about home daycare is that kids get to be in a real environment - where things go on besides nursery rhymes. I would not engage in another career....but all sorts of crafty homemakers stuff is profitable.

I can't respond to all of this in one post except to say - I would not put my child in a daycare run the way our local blogger describes hers.

Comment

Nan,

What do you mean that you raise your staff assistant right along with your kids?? Is this a grown woman you are talking about? I think as an adult I would be offended if I knew my boss was telling people that I was being raised along with her daycare children. It makes her sound very incompetent.
          Each day is a fresh start
          Never look back on regrets
          Live life to the fullest
          We only get one shot at this!!

Comment

can I just say my 2 cents?...if its worth anything....

first, i love this forum. ive learned alot from everyone.

but when someone says something i dont like or agree with?

do you see that little red box with the X in it at the top roght hand corner of your screen?

i click it.

i'm too busy providing water play AND having the kids clip coupons to worry about what anyone else is doing during their day.

just saying...

Comment

Originally posted by Country Kids View Post
              Nan,

What do you mean that you raise your staff assistant right along with your kids?? Is this a grown woman you are talking about? I think as an adult I would be offended if I knew my boss was telling people that I was being raised along with her daycare children. It makes her sound very incompetent.
              My state allows staff assistants to start at age fourteen.

I only hire staff assistants without experience and without any child care education. I want incompetent when I hire. I like a clean slate to work with.

My longest staff assistant started working for me at 13 cleaning and helping me make frozen cookie dough. (I sold cookie dough for extra money in those days). At fourteen she started as my staff assistant and worked until she was 18. At eighteen I helped her get a Nanny job with the oldest daughter of the first family I was a Nanny for. She worked as a Nanny for a few years and then came back to work for me two weeks after her first child was born. She stayed for another 2.5 years.

Her sister (age 14 and up) who is one year younger was her substitute and when she left to be a Nanny her sister came and worked for me for a few years. She had her first baby too and brought her here.

My current SA came to me as an older teen but without any experience as a child care provider. She's been "brought up" here just like those before her.

I do very intensive training with anyone that works here. I devote a lot of resources into them to teach them this trade. I have to consider where they come from... where they are at intellectually.... developmentally... and what I can contribute to their lives as a human being, a worker, and possibly one who will go into this business as a trade. I mentor them while they work here and for many years beyond. I am their second home. Their "go to" second Mama.

Comment

Back to the original question....I used to do some custom sewing work but in the evenings and on the weekends. I have done some sewing with all the kids here but it's usually something for one of them. I end up sewing with two pressing my foot on the presser foot and one on each knee. It doesn't work so well to get anything done.
                i've been making the kids a felt card table house for this winter and they like to help sew it up. We're making our own pirate ship after all!

I don't think there is anything wrong with knitting or crocheting while the kids are sleeping. I would be extra careful to put everything out of reach even if I needed to go to the washroom but in general I don't see the problem. Good time filler IMO. In fact...if I could crochet anything other than a very long skipping rope then I would probably crochet most afternoons sitting in the yard with the munchkins. I grew up with a mom that knitted all.the.time.

Comment

Originally posted by nannyde View Post

I only hire staff assistants without experience and without any child care education. I want incompetent when I hire. I like a clean slate to work with.

My longest staff assistant started working for me at 13 cleaning and helping me make frozen cookie dough. (I sold cookie dough for extra money in those days). At fourteen she started as my staff assistant and worked until she was 18. At eighteen I helped her get a Nanny job with the oldest daughter of the first family I was a Nanny for. She worked as a Nanny for a few years and then came back to work for me two weeks after her first child was born. She stayed for another 2.5 years.

Her sister (age 14 and up) who is one year younger was her substitute and when she left to be a Nanny her sister came and worked for me for a few years. She had her first baby too and brought her here.

My current SA came to me as an older teen but without any experience as a child care provider. She's been "brought up" here just like those before her.

I do very intensive training with anyone that works here. I devote a lot of resources into them to teach them this trade. I have to consider where they come from... where they are at intellectually.... developmentally... and what I can contribute to their lives as a human being, a worker, and possibly one who will go into this business as a trade. I mentor them while they work here and for many years beyond. I am their second home. Their "go to" second Mama.
                  That is the type of job I would have loved as a teen.

Comment

correct me if I am wrong

I am still pretty new but I thought the red box was for post that were inappropriate not just things you don't agree with. :confused:

Comment

Originally posted by melskids View Post
                      i'm too busy providing water play AND having the kids clip coupons to worry about what anyone else is doing during their day.

just saying...
                      Your dcp's KNOW you have the kids cut coupons?

We will gladly accept all Ziploc coupons you won't be needing.

We have a prize here for the most Ziploc coupons cut. You get to be the Prince or Princess of Ziplockia for the day. We have a special crown made out of a ziploc box.
                      Last edited by nannyde; 07-19-2011, 05:18 AM.

Comment

I love ziploc coupons. <3

Comment

Originally posted by GotKids View Post
                          I am still pretty new but I thought the red box was for post that were inappropriate not just things you don't agree with. :confused:
                          she means the one with the "x" in it to close the window
                          Hee hee! Look, I have a signature!

Comment

Originally posted by SilverSabre25 View Post
                            Thanks, I guess it is just I should wake up before I post Is it Friday yet??

Comment

Originally posted by SilverSabre25 View Post
                              Hey, what are the red boxes for???

Comment

Originally posted by nannyde View Post

Thanks for the explanation. I did the same thing with new neices years ago during the summers. One went on to become a teacher and the other one will be doing something in the medical field this fall (going back to school to study).

I only did it for the summers because I don't have enough children for an assistant but they were super helpful for outside time, fieldtrips, etc. I was also pregnant two of the summers so that was great to have a helper for that.
                                Each day is a fresh start
                                Never look back on regrets
                                Live life to the fullest
                                We only get one shot at this!!

Comment

Working...
                                X