Other Employment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sharlan View Post
    We were told at the licensing meeting that a second job was not allowed as you had to have time for sleeping. Lack of sleep would interfere with child care.
    I see no reason why you can't knit/crochet/craft/work online while the children are sleeping. You can only wash so many dishes and dust so many shelves.
    OMG!! SERIOUSLY?!!? Wow, does your licensor come tuck providers into bed too so they are sure they are getting a good nights sleep? Wow! That is crazy! I'm not being rude to you, I am just floored that your licensors have that much power over child care providers in your area...wow!

Comment

Originally posted by Meeko60 View Post
      Your monitor was just being petty. There is nothing wrong with crocheting while the kids are asleep! Nobody can expect a provider to just stare at sleeping kids for 2 hours. If it's not in writing in your state regs....then it doesn't matter what the monitor says. I say you go right back to crocheting. Most of us use nap time to catch up on paperwork, clean the kitchen etc. I know a lot of providers and I know not one of them just sits and stares at the kids.
      The monitor was NOT being petty.

I LOVE to knit and one year was making a scarf for each child in my care, 24 total. I had to start in July and I had to knit every free minute I had.

One day I was knitting in the baby room while a stuffy baby was sleeping for her AM nap (I wanted to be close as she was soo stuffed up) I knitted in a rocking chair in the corner. Later that morning I decided to send the stuffy baby home. For afternoon nap I put two on yearolds in their beds closed teh door and was not able to knit that afternoon bc it was state paper work day (state ast payments used to be due @ the end of the month and it was a TON of paper work for 6 kids!!! Thankfully they do it all online two weeks at a time now).

Half way through nap time I got up to check on the baby room like always and I saw my 13mo boy tangled from head to toe and around his neck. He had climed out of his bed (I never heard a thing!!!) I had to cut him out of all of it. I was VERY lucky that it was not tight enough to hurt him (but was around his neck) and that I checked on him or it could have become that way.

I forgot to but it up like I did EVERYDAY before that. Accidents happen. We get busy and forget. It can happen even if you think you would NEVER forget.

I know we can stop eerything that is dangerous, but these are not my children so I CAN NOT take any "well thats just life" chances with them.
      Last edited by MsMe; 07-18-2011, 08:23 AM. Reason: added details

Comment

Originally posted by MsMe View Post

I LOVE to knit and one year was making a scarf for each child in my care, 24 total. I had to start in July and I had to knit every free minute I had.

One day I was knitting in the baby room while a stuffy baby was sleeping for her AM nap (I wanted to be close as she was soo stuffed up) I knitted in a rocking chair in the corner. Later that morning I decided to send the stuffy baby home. For afternoon nap I put two on yearolds in their beds closed teh door and was not able to knit that afternoon bc it was state paper work day (state ast payments used to be due @ the end of the month and it was a TON of paper work for 6 kids!!! Thankfully they do it all online two weeks at a time now).

Half way through nop tiem I got up to check on the baby room like always and when I opened the dook I saw my 13mo boy tangled from head to toe and around his neck. I had to cut him out of all of it. I was VERY lucky that it was not tight enough to hurt him and that I checked on him or it could hav become that way.

I forgot to but it up like I did EVERYDAY before that. Accidents happen. We get busy and forget. It can happen even if you think you would NEVER forget.

I know we can stop eerything that is dangerous, but these are not my children so I CAN NOT take any "well thats just life" chances with them.
        What was he tangled in?
        Each day is a fresh start
        Never look back on regrets
        Live life to the fullest
        We only get one shot at this!!

Comment

Originally posted by country kids View Post
          what was he tangled in?
          yarn!!!!!!!!!!1

Comment

Originally posted by MsMe View Post

Half way through nap time I got up to check on the baby room like always and I saw my 13mo boy tangled from head to toe and around his neck. He had climed out of his bed (I never heard a thing!!!) I had to cut him out of all of it. I was VERY lucky that it was not tight enough to hurt him (but was around his neck) and that I checked on him or it could have become that way.

You are right...accidents DO happen. And we do everything in our power to make sure they don't. However....we are not expected to just stare at the kids all nap time because something MIGHT happen. Our regs say we must check on the kids every 15 minutes, but we do not have to even be in the same room. Now if somebody WANTS to watch the entire time...then kudos to them. But it's not REQUIRED. The monitor was out of line telling her she couldn't crochet. She would have been perfectly within her bounds to remind the provider to check on the kids throughout nap time. But I doubt anywhere
            in the regs does it say no crocheting.

In your case. you forgot to put the yarn away. But a provider may forget to put a pen up and a child may hurt themselves with it later in the afternoon. A provider may forget to put her book away and a baby may eat a page and choke. A provider may leave her phone where a child can get it and they eat the battery. There are a million scenarios. But we can't bubble wrap the kids (that WOULD be against regs!) and we can't never turn away for even one second. We must childproof best we can and be vigilant and attentive. But crocheting is not against regs.

Comment

Originally posted by PitterPatter View Post
              I'm a single Mom so I work full time with daycare which leaves me no time for another job. Now I do make some crafts here and there and sell them. Usually around the holidays. Even with them I don't have much time. I use to crochet when the kids went to sleep for nap time. I could get a whole hat or scarf done or get very far with a sweater. I can't even do that anymore because a monitor came and saw my yarn on the sofa during nap time 1 day and informed me I am not to be knitting while children are in my care. It doesn't matter if they are napping what if 1 wakes up. Sooo to answer the question, No I do not but I sure would like to do something other than watch them drool. Other than the monitor saying that I have not seen any regulations.
              I would check your state regs. That's just ridiculous. I knit while the kids are awake, even. I knit outside while they're playing. I woud turn that "What if?" back on the monitor--"Yeah...and what if one wakes up?" 'cause the way I see it...you're sitting right there. Knitting isn't exactly noisy...

Oh wait. I bet it's because the tools used for knitting are called "needles". Yep, they're too dangerous. You might poke a dck's eye out.

[/sarcasm]
              Hee hee! Look, I have a signature!

Comment

[B]Outside employment during hours that child care is not being provided shall not interfere with child care.
                It just means that if you have another job other than daycare it can't interfere with daycare during daycare hours. For example, if you sell tupperware, Mary Kay etc. it can't interfere during daycare hours. You can't fill orders during the day or make deliveries etc.

I'm in CA and we have this rule. There are ways around it though. For example if you have an assistant that can watch the kids while you work on your other job you can argue that the children are under direct supervision. I do other things besides daycare too. I sell tupperware, Mary Kay, do photography and sell occasionally sell things on eBay for people for a percentage. None of these really interfere with daycare however and I work on them after hours and on weekends so I find it hard to believe that licensing is so strict in some areas as to prohibit providers from having another job. Especially because of "lack of sleep". When I first started DC I had a retail job with Lowe's. I worked DC from 6am-6pm and then Lowe's 6:30pm-11pm 3-4 days a week and full shifts on Saturdays and/or Sundays. It was fine for me and not a big deal. As soon as I had 2 DC kids I quit the retail gig. Sometimes I think licensing goes a little overboard.

Comment

I knew a provider who was doing nails out of her home during daycare hours! It is for those ding-a-lings that they come up with those rules!

Comment

Here in California the regulations say that you can not have a job during the hours you are licensed. Not sure how that would work if you had an open ended time on your licensed apparently under hours one is licensed you can put less than 24 hours.

Comment

I work outside of daycare hours. Weekends and evenings as a home health nurse. It honestly doesnt affect the kids or parents some dont even know that I do it. Not that I hide it but they really dont ask about my life outside of 5a-5p

Comment

Originally posted by jen View Post
                        I knew a provider who was doing nails out of her home during daycare hours! It is for those ding-a-lings that they come up with those rules!
                        You make a valid point.

Comment

Oh you got that right! Nothing but ladies dissing on Nan and polishing their own halos all weekend.....

...was kinda sad. I have always enjoyed the fact that we are so different and yet so alike. I am happy to know that not every single day care is the same. Parents would really be up a creek if we all did exactly the same thing.

As for employment.....depends on the state and depends on the provider and depends on what the extra job is. Nothing is cookie cutter right or wrong.

I guess I would be considered one of the "mean girls" (from the sprinkler thread) that you're referring to. I certainly don't have a "halo," but anyone who knows me would say I'm the polar opposite of a "mean girl." I was simply stating my disike of Nan's "Don't want to," "BTDT," and "over it" attitude. I also didn't care for her sarcastic remark regarding working parents. I adore my DP's and sympathize with how hard they work - both inside and outside of the home. I am very grateful to each and every one of them, as I wouldn't have a thriving business if it weren't for them choosing my daycare facility.

Lastly. I realize Nan is highly respected on this forum and I fully expect her to earn my respect as well. Until then, I felt the need to speak (or write) my mind as this is what this forum is for. Having a differing opinion or point of view does not make me (or anyone else) a "mean girl" IMHO.

As far as working a different job during child care hours - that is strictly prohibited in my state.

Comment

Originally posted by sharlan View Post
                            We were told at the licensing meeting that a second job was not allowed as you had to have time for sleeping. Lack of sleep would interfere with child care.

I see no reason why you can't knit/crochet/craft/work online while the children are sleeping. You can only wash so many dishes and dust so many shelves.
                            Wow! So are they going to do surprise visits late in the evening to make sure providers aren't up late "having fun" with their spouses?!!! No late nights for you ladies!!!!

Comment

You are right...accidents DO happen. And we do everything in our power to make sure they don't. However....we are not expected to just stare at the kids all nap time because something MIGHT happen. Our regs say we must check on the kids every 15 minutes, but we do not have to even be in the same room. Now if somebody WANTS to watch the entire time...then kudos to them. But it's not REQUIRED. The monitor was out of line telling her she couldn't crochet. She would have been perfectly within her bounds to remind the provider to check on the kids throughout nap time. But I doubt anywhere
                              in the regs does it say no crocheting.

In your case. you forgot to put the yarn away. But a provider may forget to put a pen up and a child may hurt themselves with it later in the afternoon. A provider may forget to put her book away and a baby may eat a page and choke. A provider may leave her phone where a child can get it and they eat the battery. There are a million scenarios. But we can't bubble wrap the kids (that WOULD be against regs!) and we can't never turn away for even one second. We must childproof best we can and be vigilant and attentive. But crocheting is not against regs.
                              All of this could happen, the point is not taking any EXTRA chances that I dont have to. Just as I cut a string or a cord off of a toy bc it is could strangle a child I choose not to have yarn in daycare areas. I, just as eveyone else, do the best I can with the items I can't avoid...pens and books. I just don't take the extra chance with yarn that serves no daycare purpouse.
                              Last edited by MsMe; 07-18-2011, 09:42 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by CheekyChick View Post
                                I guess I would be considered one of the "mean girls" (from the sprinkler thread) that you're referring to. I certainly don't have a "halo," but anyone who knows me would say I'm the polar opposite of a "mean girl." I was simply stating my disike of Nan's "Don't want to," "BTDT," and "over it" attitude. I also didn't care for her sarcastic remark regarding working parents. I adore my DP's and sympathize with how hard they work - both inside and outside of the home. I am very grateful to each and every one of them, as I wouldn't have a thriving business if it weren't for them choosing my daycare facility.

Lastly. I realize Nan is highly respected on this forum and I fully expect her to earn my respect as well. Until then, I felt the need to speak (or write) my mind as this is what this forum is for. Having a differing opinion or point of view does not make me (or anyone else) a "mean girl" IMHO.

As far as working a different job during child care hours - that is strictly prohibited in my state.
                                I actually wasn't referring to one person. And I made the halo comment...someone else made the mean girls comment.

The general feel of that thread got very spiteful with a "only my way is right" attitude and VERY sarcastically and self-righteously questioning Nan on her every opinion. Do I agree with every single one of Nan's comments. Of course not...I'm not Nan. But I don't like seeing people torn down because of how they run THEIR OWN business. I don't want people to do it to me either and I am sure you don't.

I feel that we are ALL doing a great job filling a need for parents. What one parents thinks is a wonderful day care, may be one that other parents would pull their kids out of in a flash. THAT is what is good. Parents don't want cookie cutter providers.

I know that some providers probably think I am horrible for making the kids do chores. I happen to think it's VERY important for a well rounded child. But that's my opinion. I leave it up to the parents to decide. My current ones LOVE it.

Comment

Working...
                                X