Other Employment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other Employment

Regarding another post where Nan and I were talking about her having other employment while doing childcare started making me wonder: how many of you do some sort of other job while doing childcare? I know alot of people have jobs like tupperware, scentsy, pampered chef.

I know Nan said the state (I hope I am quoting her right) can't have regulations on when she does her other jobs. If I don't have this right please correct me on this Nan. Our regulations say: The provider shall have no other employment, either in or out of the home, during the hours children are in care.

Do any one else have regulations like this?
    Each day is a fresh start
    Never look back on regrets
    Live life to the fullest
    We only get one shot at this!!

I've never seen a regulation concerning this in my state.

I'm curious to know though from providers that do work a job during daycare hours that takes them away from direct care/supervision of the children:

Do you explain to parents during the interview process or at sometime later that you DO work another job/s during daycare hours and that your other job takes you away from direct care of the children? Do you outline for them how many hours day/week their child will be in care of an assistant?

Do you have your assistant/substitute at the interview to meet the parents so that they can meet the person that will be caring for their children when you're not?

I guess that since I've been doing this solo for 25+ years now, I have a very difficult time believing that prospective parents that are looking for "home" daycare for their child, would be okay with the fact that the provider that they trust with their child would leave the child in care with an assistant on a regular basis.

I'm just curious

Comment

I feel like I am on the set of MEAN GIRLS 3.

Guess I did not miss much this weekend.

Carry on......
      - Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Country Kids View Post
        Regarding another post where Nan and I were talking about her having other employment while doing childcare started making me wonder: how many of you do some sort of other job while doing childcare? I know alot of people have jobs like tupperware, scentsy, pampered chef.

I know Nan said the state (I hope I am quoting her right) can't have regulations on when she does her other jobs. If I don't have this right please correct me on this Nan. Our regulations say: The provider shall have no other employment, either in or out of the home, during the hours children are in care.

Do any one else have regulations like this?
        I'm a single Mom so I work full time with daycare which leaves me no time for another job. Now I do make some crafts here and there and sell them. Usually around the holidays. Even with them I don't have much time. I use to crochet when the kids went to sleep for nap time. I could get a whole hat or scarf done or get very far with a sweater. I can't even do that anymore because a monitor came and saw my yarn on the sofa during nap time 1 day and informed me I am not to be knitting while children are in my care. It doesn't matter if they are napping what if 1 wakes up. Sooo to answer the question, No I do not but I sure would like to do something other than watch them drool. Other than the monitor saying that I have not seen any regulations.

Comment

I teach piano lessons one evening a week, and on Saturday mornings. This doesn't overlap with my daycare in the least and brings in an extra $600/month. Woohoo.

Comment

The head of our family child care association does several jobs including web design, acting as the head of the association, and consulting during daycare hours.

Comment

Originally posted by Catherder View Post

Carry on......
              Notice the date - :: - i.e. the time of the month.

In response to the original question - my state says this:

The caregivers may not work or be employed outside the home during the hours that child care is being provided. Outside employment during hours that child care is not being provided shall not interfere with child care.

Comment

Originally posted by MyAngels View Post
                Notice the date - :: - i.e. the time of the month.

In response to the original question - my state says this:

The caregivers may not work or be employed outside the home during the hours that child care is being provided. Outside employment during hours that child care is not being provided shall not interfere with child care.
                So can that be interpretted as "caregivers can work INSIDE the home during child care hours"? It seems specific to being outside the home...does this mean you just can't leave the kids at naptime to work a shift at the pub? LOL.

I used to work for my FIL doing some consulting work during my n aptime. It was about 45 minutes/day worth of work that I did from my computer. I would clean, prep snack, drink coffee and then do my consulting work while the babies nap. If I couldn't get it done then, then I would wait until evening. It was a great side job while it lasted.

Comment

I don't think there is anything that prevents additional employment. I sell Avon. Orders have to be submitted Tuesdays before lunch so I am doing it while "on the clock" and I'm always taking phone orders.

Comment

Originally posted by Catherder View Post

Carry on......
                    Oh you got that right! Nothing but ladies dissing on Nan and polishing their own halos all weekend.....

...was kinda sad. I have always enjoyed the fact that we are so different and yet so alike. I am happy to know that not every single day care is the same. Parents would really be up a creek if we all did exactly the same thing.

As for employment.....depends on the state and depends on the provider and depends on what the extra job is. Nothing is cookie cutter right or wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Pammie View Post
                      I've never seen a regulation concerning this in my state.

I'm curious to know though from providers that do work a job during daycare hours that takes them away from direct care/supervision of the children:

Do you explain to parents during the interview process or at sometime later that you DO work another job/s during daycare hours and that your other job takes you away from direct care of the children? Do you outline for them how many hours day/week their child will be in care of an assistant?

Do you have your assistant/substitute at the interview to meet the parents so that they can meet the person that will be caring for their children when you're not?

I guess that since I've been doing this solo for 25+ years now, I have a very difficult time believing that prospective parents that are looking for "home" daycare for their child, would be okay with the fact that the provider that they trust with their child would leave the child in care with an assistant on a regular basis.

I'm just curious
                      I'm curious to know though from providers that do work a job during daycare hours that takes them away from direct care/supervision of the children: I can't answer that because nothing takes me away from the direct care and supervision of the children.

Do you explain to parents during the interview process or at sometime later that you DO work another job/s during daycare hours and Yes I tell parents of any other endeavor I'm persuing. Depending on when they started care it would be something different. I've been at this a long time and have had a number of other businesses.

that your other job takes you away from direct care of the children? I wouldn't have a job that took me away from the direct care of the children. Any direct care that I'm not doing that is done by my staff assistant is still completely supervised by me. The parents know I don't hire someone to sit and watch me take care of the kids. It would be silly to have a staff assistant who only watched me work.

Do you outline for them how many hours day/week their child will be in care of an assistant? My kids are never "in" care of an assistant. She's not allowed to be alone with the children. She will be in a few weeks when I expand my registration but until then ... no. They do know the hours she is here exactly and what hours I am here by myself. They like having two people onsite so they would love it if I increased her hours I'm sure. Maybe sometime in the future.

Do you have your assistant/substitute at the interview to meet the parents so that they can meet the person that will be caring for their children when you're not? My staff assistant meets the parents three times during the interview process. They know that she is not left alone with the children.

would be okay with the fact that the provider that they trust with their child would leave the child in care with an assistant on a regular basis. Yes I don't think you could build a business on that here. If you have an assistant here you have to supervise them at all times and not leave the children with them.
                      http://www.amazon.com/Daycare-Whispe...=doing+daycare

Comment

Originally posted by PitterPatter View Post
                        I'm a single Mom so I work full time with daycare which leaves me no time for another job. Now I do make some crafts here and there and sell them. Usually around the holidays. Even with them I don't have much time. I use to crochet when the kids went to sleep for nap time. I could get a whole hat or scarf done or get very far with a sweater. I can't even do that anymore because a monitor came and saw my yarn on the sofa during nap time 1 day and informed me I am not to be knitting while children are in my care. It doesn't matter if they are napping what if 1 wakes up. Sooo to answer the question, No I do not but I sure would like to do something other than watch them drool. Other than the monitor saying that I have not seen any regulations.
                        Your monitor was just being petty. There is nothing wrong with crocheting while the kids are asleep! Nobody can expect a provider to just stare at sleeping kids for 2 hours. If it's not in writing in your state regs....then it doesn't matter what the monitor says. I say you go right back to crocheting. Most of us use nap time to catch up on paperwork, clean the kitchen etc. I know a lot of providers and I know not one of them just sits and stares at the kids.

Comment

Outside employment during hours that child care is not being provided shall not interfere with child care.[/QUOTE]

That sentence doesn't even make sense! I would ask your state what on earth that means!

If your employment is OUTSIDE day care hours how CAN it interfere with child care?!

The only thing I can think of is if you tell parents that you are closing earlier as you have another job to go to. But that is not against any reg and is 100% your choice. You can open and close any time you wish.

Comment

Originally posted by Meeko60 View Post
                            Your monitor was just being petty. There is nothing wrong with crocheting while the kids are asleep! Nobody can expect a provider to just stare at sleeping kids for 2 hours. If it's not in writing in your state regs....then it doesn't matter what the monitor says. I say you go right back to crocheting. Most of us use nap time to catch up on paperwork, clean the kitchen etc. I know a lot of providers and I know not one of them just sits and stares at the kids.
                            ITA!!! I crochet almost every day at nap time after I get my "stuff" done. Ya know, food prep, paperwork, checking up on threads at daycare.com....

Comment

We were told at the licensing meeting that a second job was not allowed as you had to have time for sleeping. Lack of sleep would interfere with child care.

I see no reason why you can't knit/crochet/craft/work online while the children are sleeping. You can only wash so many dishes and dust so many shelves.

Comment

Working...
                              X