No announcement yet.

So Sad...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How horrible. I really hope there was no negligence on the part of the provider here. It would be bad enough to lose your child in this way, but then to find out that the provider was negligent, how tragic.

No matter what happened in this instance, this is an excellent reminder to us all that we must be religious about those fire, tornado (in my area) and emergency drills.

We have a "game" that we play once a month or so that the kids love and I think will help them remember what to do if there ever is a fire. I painted a picture of some flames on a piece of posterboard and I will put it somewhere in the house. Then the kids are to respond as if it were a real fire - what do we do? where do we go? how do we get out of the house? where do we go once we're out of the house? They are really good at adjusting their exit based on where the "fire" is.

Does anybody else have any tips on how they stay prepared?

Comment

Wow that is really sad. This is why I will never have more than 4 dcks. That is enough for me.

Really sad story for everyone involved.

Comment

It says no more than 6 under preschool age (5) so maybe one was older than that?

I have personal experience with a kitchen fire starting in an instant, but even with that (it was an oil fire) there wasn't enough smoke THAT quickly that getting out should have been hard...and it was only a one story house. There weren't stairs to contend with.

Horrible, tragic story. We'll probably never find out "the rest" though.
        Hee hee! Look, I have a signature!

Comment

This article made me cry. So So So tragic. I hope a follow-up article is written in the future once the investigation is complete.

Comment

The extra child could have been her child as well. In some states your child doesn't count in your ratios you are allowed. Since she was so hystirical I wonder if her child was not one of the 5 left inside?

Either way with all the missing links it is still so sad.

Comment

so sad

i really cried the whole time. I hope those familys heel from this horible event.

Comment

There is so many questions in this situation...

1. If the provider was just in the bathroom for a couple minutes doing her thing...what made the fire spread so fast that she was unable to get all the children safely out in time?

2. What time of the day did this happen...where the children all down for nap time and the provider was in the shower in the bathroom (with baby monitors) that it took her so long to respond to the scene? If so, how would she not hear the fire alarm? Was there a functioning fire alarm on site?

3. Was the provider asleep?

4. Was the provider outside?

5. How many floors where in this house...where the children on different floors? Why?

I just don't understand how she was only able to get 2 of the 7 children outside safely. In the case of a fire for me I would instantly call 911 and then the first chance that I was outside I would be screaming for neighbors to come help me if I was having problems removing everyone in time.

Comment

Angelwing, the article does state that it was ranch-style house, meaning one story.
                  Hee hee! Look, I have a signature!

Comment

Originally posted by SilverSabre25 View Post
                    Angelwing, the article does state that it was ranch-style house, meaning one story.
                    Yes I realized that after reading through the article again. It just gives me chills!

Comment

Obviously this is just speculation, but I wonder if the kids were in the basement and the stairs were cut off by the fire in the kitchen. In my inlaws house it would be tough to get downstairs in the event of a kitchen fire...

Comment

Originally posted by jen View Post
                        Obviously this is just speculation, but I wonder if the kids were in the basement and the stairs were cut off by the fire in the kitchen. In my inlaws house it would be tough to get downstairs in the event of a kitchen fire...
                        We have a side door on our house which is the easiest to access the basement through...however our kitchen is directly beside this door as well. In the case of a kitchen fire in my home (if it were out of control and I could not get my kids out the side door) we would have to go through one of the basement windows. Luckily our basement windows open so this is an option.

Comment

One of my biggest fears is a fire in my home, most likely because our house burned to the ground when I was 3 years old and I was inside. My mother was blessed to be able to get the both of us to safety although she did suffer burns.

In my home, if I were in the bathroom when a fire broke out in the kitchen, I would not be able to get into my kitchen or living room. Because of where my stove and kitchen doorway are, the fire would most likely block the entrance to both rooms. For this reason (and because I'm paranoid about the possibility of a fire) I try to make sure my kids are in the same part of the house that I am (not necessarily in the bathroom with me, but at least in that end of the house). This way I feel safer that I could get to them and get us all out safely.

Also, we shouldn't assume that she was cooking and left it unattended. We all know how quickly little ones can get into mischief, and it could have been that one of the children went into the kitchen while she was in the bathroom and messed with the stove. Granted, this still means they were unsupervised for a few minutes.

Comment

unless there is an explosion, I just dont know how you dont get everyone out of the house...Id be flinging them out the door or windows risking broken bones. I actually have carried 1 in each arm and held the hand of 1 with each hand. If they were in the basement, doesnt it have an exit besides the house? and if I were in the bathroom... Id be on the news getting kids out of the house with my pants around my ankles. Its easy for us to speculate and I feel for all of them including the provider. But geez...

Comment

Very sad for all involved. Those poor children and their families. And the provider only being 22 will have to live with this the rest of her life.

But I just don't understand how if the provider was only in the bathroom and she had working smoke detectors, how did she not know something was going on sooner? If the smoke was so think they had to use thermal imaging to look for the children, surely the smoke alarms had to be going off for a while. :confused:

Comment

more info here
                                http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?se...rticle-7980199

it happened at 1:30pm local time

Comment

Working...
                                X