Justin Ross Harris Trial

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Justin Ross Harris Trial

This case has intrigued me from the beginning, the trial finally started and I've been following it. In the trial groups I'm in I have already seen it mentioned that daycares should have to call when a child doesn't arrive on time. I knew that aspect would come up...anyone else following the trial?

Edited to add-This is the hot car death case

I haven't been following the trial, but I cringe thinking about that liability falling on us daycare providers. Scary.

Comment

I am not reading up on the case but somehow this is our responsibility? Ugh.

Car manufacturers really need to take the lead on this and make some sort of sensor system that goes off when movement is detected inside a car when the engine is off.

Comment

Why should car manufacturers be responsible? What happened to PARENT responsibility?

Comment

Originally posted by sharlan View Post
          Why should car manufacturers be responsible? What happened to PARENT responsibility?
          Parent responsibility is not working and kids are dying. These deaths are accidents not premeditated murder. A sensor would go a long way in saving kids lives. I dont think it is the responsibility of the car manufacturer I just think it would be a good thing if they did something like this.

Comment

Yes. I have 4 kids. At one time, three of the 4 were in car seats. I worked or went to school during the car seat years. (At times both) I am forgetful, but I have never left one of my kiddos behind.

I don't think car seat alarms/sensors are a bad thing, but they aren't the auto manufacturers responsibility. And calling parents to about missed attendance shouldn't be a providers responsibility either. When kids are with their parents, the responsibility for a child safety falls on the parents.

Comment

Originally posted by Ariana View Post
              I am not reading up on the case but somehow this is our responsibility? Ugh.

Car manufacturers really need to take the lead on this and make some sort of sensor system that goes off when movement is detected inside a car when the engine is off.
              Oh, I am really not in favor of this...the amount of hours I have spent in my car quietly reading while waiting for one of my kids to come out of sports practices... If I had a periodic alarm going off? No thanks.

Comment

I'm not following the case because I just can't. I'm not able to sleep at night if I read terrible articles or watch the news about babies and kids dying, going missing etc.

But I personally have made the conscience decision to call clients that haven't arrived on time. For me it serves two purposes 1) to make sure that the client doesn't in fact leave their kid in their car or at home and 2) as an excuse to call when they are late to make sure that they are coming and just forgot to call me (and I don't just sit around waiting for them all day).

But that's my choice and I don't believe that it should be a forced requirement of a daycare. That would mean that a human is responsible to check on someone but there is always room for human error. Daycare is crazy and things could happen that makes it so that it can get lost in the shuffle and then what? It's the daycare's fault that a child dies because they didn't call and a parent forgot their child in the car? No way.

Comment

I have not followed the case, but I too make the call (or text) if someone is late (I usually do about 30/45 minutes depending on the family and their habits) if I have not heard anything.

I do this for a couple of reasons, 1) to make sure no child was accidentally left behind and 2) to make sure a family wasn't in an accident on their way here. Many families travel on a major highway to get here AND we have a large snowbird population that comes this time of year. Without fail, there is at least 1 wrong way driver each day. I am always worried someone will be in an accident and no one will no until later. It just puts me at peace.

ETA: I do not feel the well checks should be the responsibility of the provider. Once the parent is out of my door I feel their child's well-being is solely their responsibility. I also think car seat alarms and car alarms are making it so parents are less responsible and less aware. We as a society have become so out of touch with the current moment and I feel that alarms like that only make it worse.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockgirl View Post
                    I haven't been following the trial, but I cringe thinking about that liability falling on us daycare providers. Scary.

With responsibility automatically comes liability.

No thanks. I refuse to take on a liability like that.

I would quit before I agreed to be responsible for a parent's distraction....it's just another way to basically reward parents for bad behaviors. Just make it someone else's fault.

Comment

I am one of those people that is constantly posting reminders about this on facebook everytime summer starts. At first I was sympathetic...these are accidents, the parents changed their schedule, routine took over, they went though the motions, it could happen to anybody. Now, it has gotten to the point where we are all very much aware of this danger, and the fact that parents have not done anything to prevent this and take on the attitude of "I would never do that to my child" and yet it's those parents that it happens to because they're too proud to realize that they are only human, that angers me so much!!!

I have taught myself, to the point where it is now instinct, to take a quick look in the back seat of my car just to be extra sure there's nothing important back there. I have never left my kid, but it was because of that behavior that I realized one of them left a cup of milk back there. That would have been a doozy in this crazy Houston heat!

Comment

Originally posted by spedmommy4 View Post
                        Yes. I have 4 kids. At one time, three of the 4 were in car seats. I worked or went to school during the car seat years. (At times both) I am forgetful, but I have never left one of my kiddos behind.

I don't think car seat alarms/sensors are a bad thing, but they aren't the auto manufacturers responsibility. And calling parents to about missed attendance shouldn't be a providers responsibility either. When kids are with their parents, the responsibility for a child safety falls on the parents.
                        Accidents happen because they are accidents. Thank God this has never happened to you, you are lucky. Every parent that this has ever had this happen , it happened when it was not part of their routine to drop a kid off or pick them up. It was an accident. It is for sure a parents responsibility but everything is invented to prevent human frailty and accidents.

Oh, I am really not in favor of this...the amount of hours I have spent in my car quietly reading while waiting for one of my kids to come out of sports practices... If I had a periodic alarm going off? No thanks.
                        I am sure the genius engineers could come up with a better system. For example if the weight is in the backseat and is less than 40lbs. Or if the heat reaches a certain temp and there is movement detected. Ever notice the front passenger airbag gets turned off when the weight is less than a certain amount? Something like that.

Comment

No way! This guy did this on purpose. He went out to his car 3 or 4 hours later and never noticed his son! My heart aches for that little boy. I still cry over this case. Parents need to be held accountable. I think he planned this and should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law.

Comment

AMEN!!!! I bet that they didn't forget their cell phones.

I post a reminder at the beginning of summer on my dc page.

I WILL NOT take on any parental responsibility, nor will I be held liable for the welfare of a child who is not even in my care.

They need to start charging these parents with manslaughter, at MINIMUM.

Comment

I am a bit baffled by these responses. Maybe they should be charged with manslaughter, maybe it was deliberate BUT a child is still dead! It takes everyone doing their best to keep kids safe. If a sensor alerts a bystander that a child is locked in a hot car isnt that a good thing :confused: an alarm goes off if someone tries to steal my car, or if they drive away in my car a sensor shuts down the engine. Isn't a child locked in a hot car more important?

No amount of pointing fingers, getting on our high horse or saying it is the parents responsibility is going to bring back a dead child or prevent another child from dying.

I do agree that it is not MY responsibility as a caregiver to track the whereabouts of a child not in my care.

Comment

Working...
                              X