No announcement yet.

Justin Ross Harris Trial

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When my son was admitted to the hospital, I can tell you that the police were involved. We were cleared of all culpability but yes we were investigated. I had nothing to hide and I have no idea how the officer even comprehended my statement, but I understood they had a job to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Cat Herder View Post
      As a SIDS mom, I can tell you, they do. Parents are investigated and often treated as guilty/suspects until proven innocent. I welcomed it because I needed to know it was not from something I did wrong. I was a young mother. I needed to know more than they did. I still need to know... It seems I never will for sure. It still causes me nightmares. SIDS is the the literal statement of "We don't know."

I believe that as a provider there is an added responsibility in that I accept payment and represent myself as a trained professional. As such I accept a greater responsibility.

SIDS is VERY different from hot car deaths or positional asphyxia.
      :hug: we almost lost DS, it's a long story but I still have nightmares about his little face.

I completely agree with the bolded.

Maybe some parenting videos in addition to safe sleep and SBS at the hospital- common child hood injuries/how to child proof, hot car deaths and how to prevent and 'it couldn't happen to me' story with a parent it DID happen to.

Comment

Originally posted by daycarediva View Post
        Also, locally we are seeing people prosecuted for animal cruelty/animal abuse for leaving animals in parked cars (running with the AC on) it's against the law. One woman just received jail time when her dog died outside of a grocery store. The news said that animal owners are being more proactive to prevent breaking the law and interviewed a few people who said that they had changed their habits to obey this law after seeing people charged.

As if a beloved pet (OR CHILD) isn't deterrent enough.
        I will never understand why people cannot leave their pets at home! At least you can leave them home alone legally. The only time my dog is in the car is when we are going camping, we are taking him to someones house while we are on vacation or he is going to vet. Otherwise he is at home where he is safe. I have even seen people driving with their pets in their laps :confused:

Comment

Originally posted by Ariana View Post
          I will never understand why people cannot leave their pets at home! At least you can leave them home alone legally. The only time my dog is in the car is when we are going camping, we are taking him to someones house while we are on vacation or he is going to vet. Otherwise he is at home where he is safe. I have even seen people driving with their pets in their laps :confused:

We take our dog everywhere we can with us. He goes to relatives, hiking, etc. BUT I never take him anywhere where he must be left in the car, even for a minute.

Comment

Originally posted by Ariana View Post
            I don't understand how a dog can be in the front seat. The airbag goes off, that dog is toast.

Comment

Originally posted by Cat Herder View Post
              As a SIDS mom, I can tell you, they do. Parents are investigated and often treated as guilty/suspects until proven innocent. I welcomed it because I needed to know it was not from something I did wrong. I was a young mother. I needed to know more than they did. I still need to know... It seems I never will for sure. It still causes me nightmares. SIDS is the the literal statement of "We don't know."

I believe that as a provider there is an added responsibility in that I accept payment and represent myself as a trained professional. As such I accept a greater responsibility.

SIDS is VERY different from hot car deaths or positional asphyxia.
              First, I am very, very sorry for your loss, losing a child is the worst thing a parent can go through. *hugs*

Second, I should have said SUID, not SIDS. And I agree that is is VERY different than a hot car death, but my original statement stands that it is either a crime or it is not. Who the caregiver is at the time should not determine whether or not it is a crime.

As a daycare professional, I understand that I take on increased liability---financial liability. Tried in civil court. That is why I have liability insurance. But I do not, and will not, accept that I have increased CRIMINAL liability, tried in criminal court and including a prison sentence, due to my profession. A crime is a crime no matter who commits it. If it is a tragic accident for one, garnering no criminal charges, then it is a tragic accident for all. So if a parent puts their child to sleep in a swing, they should face the same scrutiny I would.

Comment

As I get older, the trend is that parents take less and less responsibility for their own children.

So some think that daycare providers should call if a child hasn't arrived to daycare by a certain time??

So when do I start calling parents at the end of the day to make sure they have changed their baby's diaper?

When do I call to make sure the child has had dinner?

What time should I call to make sure the child has been put to bed???

PARENTS are responsible for their OWN kids. Being in a car doesn't magically change that.

I will NEVER agree to any sort of responsibility for a child who is not in my actual physical care.

Comment

The public schools here do not call if a child is absent either.

Comment

He was found guilty of both malice and felony murder

Comment

I still have such a hard time comprehending that someone would intentionally do this. I hope he IS guilty.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackcat31 View Post
                        He was found guilty of both malice and felony murder

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/...cid=spartanntp
                        I think he was guilty as well. I have been reading the transcripts.

Comment

Originally posted by daycarediva View Post
                          I think he was guilty as well. I have been reading the transcripts.
                          I have, too, and sometimes I had a feeling that he was innocent. I did not, however, see the entire trial and missed A LOT of things. I have to presume there was overwhelming evidence that he was guilty.

Comment

Working...
                          X