No announcement yet.

Cloth Diapers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My cloth diaper client doesn't ask me to "dump" a diaper or anything...I simply tie up in a plastic bag just like a pamper and place in the no-smell bag for the mom to take home in the afternoon. It doesn't take me any longer for either kind of diaper. The cloth diapers have velcro so not a big issue at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Annalee View Post
      My cloth diaper client doesn't ask me to "dump" a diaper or anything...I simply tie up in a plastic bag just like a pamper and place in the no-smell bag for the mom to take home in the afternoon.
      Can you tell me more about your "no smell" bag?

Comment

I had one parent who wanted me to cloth diaper and I was open to it. I tried it with my own kids but it just didn't work well for us. Anyway this child leaked all the time. I had to change her clothes at least once a day. The mom seemed surprised and said that she had just stripped them so there shouldn't be an issue. I found that I had to change this child double what I would change a child in disposables. Might have just been this particular child I am not sure. There were also times when I would put the diaper in the wetbag and it would accidentally touch the outside zipper and then I would have to wash the outside of the wetbag. I would of course be wearing gloves to change the child and then it became very difficult for me to get the diaper in the wetbag because I didn't want to touch anything with my contaminated gloves. It was very frustrating and I really didn't like it. It is completely different when it is your own child but when you are running a daycare it is a lot more work in my experience as contamination is not something to be taken lightly. I would accept cloth diapers again but would need to come up with some sort of diaper genie pail system.

Comment

Originally posted by happymom View Post
          Can you tell me more about your "no smell" bag?
          It is a lined bag with a zipper that I put diapers in....It belongs to the parent so I don't know exactly what it is called. I was skeptical at first when she told me it would keep smell inside, but it does work. She asked that I not tie the poopers in a plastic bag first because she throws the entire bag in the wash but I told her I tied all pooper diapers in plastic first even the pampers that will go in garbage can. So she said that was fine so the extra work is on her because she has to take the poop diaper out of the plastic before washing ON the tag it says Kangacare wet bag???
          Last edited by Annalee; 09-18-2015, 10:33 AM. Reason: added brand

Comment

Originally posted by mommyneedsadayoff View Post
            Just to add, I am not sure why you would be sad if they setstinky diapers outside? They are diapers, not your baby, so I am confused why that is bad? I would rather they put them out, then know my kids are in a room with poop smell all day. I think it is great they are working with you...

For one thing they are expensive! I know the diapers my dcps use average $20 each, and he goes through around 7-8 diapers a diapers a day, so that would be in the $150 range.

Comment

It is a lined bag with a zipper that I put diapers in....It belongs to the parent so I don't know exactly what it is called. I was skeptical at first when she told me it would keep smell inside, but it does work. She asked that I not tie the poopers in a plastic bag first because she throws the entire bag in the wash but I told her I tied all pooper diapers in plastic first even the pampers that will go in garbage can. So she said that was fine so the extra work is on her because she has to take the poop diaper out of the plastic before washing ON the tag it says Kangacare wet bag???
              Awesome thanks!

For one thing they are expensive! I know the diapers my dcps use average $20 each, and he goes through around 7-8 diapers a diapers a day, so that would be in the $150 range.
              Also, diapers in an enclosed space IN THE SUN are going to REEK when I go to put them in the wash, but I'm guessing it might just be a price I end up paying for them to cloth him.

Comment

Awesome thanks!

Also, diapers in an enclosed space IN THE SUN are going to REEK when I go to put them in the wash, but I'm guessing it might just be a price I end up paying for them to cloth him.
                The client I have said she has a HE frontload washer which doesn't clean the diapers very well due to the low amounts of water so she pre-soaks her diapers before washing so they get clean?????

Comment

Originally posted by Ariana View Post
                  I had one parent who wanted me to cloth diaper and I was open to it. I tried it with my own kids but it just didn't work well for us. Anyway this child leaked all the time. I had to change her clothes at least once a day. The mom seemed surprised and said that she had just stripped them so there shouldn't be an issue. I found that I had to change this child double what I would change a child in disposables. Might have just been this particular child I am not sure. There were also times when I would put the diaper in the wetbag and it would accidentally touch the outside zipper and then I would have to wash the outside of the wetbag. I would of course be wearing gloves to change the child and then it became very difficult for me to get the diaper in the wetbag because I didn't want to touch anything with my contaminated gloves. It was very frustrating and I really didn't like it. It is completely different when it is your own child but when you are running a daycare it is a lot more work in my experience as contamination is not something to be taken lightly. I would accept cloth diapers again but would need to come up with some sort of diaper genie pail system.
                  I had the same issue. Mom just switched back, because he was leaking through everything. After changing clothes and bedding and washing the car seat liner so many times, she gave up. There are different type of wet bags, but the ones I have used do not contain smell, so they sat on the porch.

Just to add, if your child is older and having more solid poops, I would highly recommend scraping or rinsing when you get the diapers home before laundering. My dcm forgot one day and needless to say, her washer had to be deep cleaned a few times before the smell went away.

Comment

I had the same issue. Mom just switched back, because he was leaking through everything. After changing clothes and bedding and washing the car seat liner so many times, she gave up. There are different type of wet bags, but the ones I have used do not contain smell, so they sat on the porch.

Just to add, if your child is older and having more solid poops, I would highly recommend scraping or rinsing when you get the diapers home before laundering. My dcm forgot one day and needless to say, her washer had to be deep cleaned a few times before the smell went away.
                    I have had this child for about 6 months now and only a couple leaks. The diapers she has are triple-lined so they hold well.

Comment

Ewwww!

Comment

I have had this child for about 6 months now and only a couple leaks. The diapers she has are triple-lined so they hold well.
                        She double lined and tried all sorts, but even at their tightest fit, he somehow managed to pee right out of them. He has been back in disposables for a two weeks now and no leaks, so I think she is over it. Sometimes it works for ya, and sometimes it doesn't, I guess

Comment

I'm excited, I found someone on ETSY who will custom make tiny individual wet bags for me at a really reasonable price so I'm not so turned off by the individual "packaging" of dirty diapers. In the long run, it'll probably cost way more than just sending plastic zip locks....but wet bags are useful for all sorts of things, I can give them away when I'm done with them =)

Comment

She double lined and tried all sorts, but even at their tightest fit, he somehow managed to pee right out of them. He has been back in disposables for a two weeks now and no leaks, so I think she is over it. Sometimes it works for ya, and sometimes it doesn't, I guess
                            Fyi a too tight cloth diaper will create leaks. There is a little learning curve with fit between cloth and disposable. There are lots of fit videos on YouTube.

Comment

I'm excited, I found someone on ETSY who will custom make tiny individual wet bags for me at a really reasonable price so I'm not so turned off by the individual "packaging" of dirty diapers. In the long run, it'll probably cost way more than just sending plastic zip locks....but wet bags are useful for all sorts of things, I can give them away when I'm done with them =)
                              Can you message me the link for that store? I'm sure one of my dcm would love it

Comment

So my daycare center has put in a plastic bin outside the front door for clothing that children have accidents in. The clothing is simply put in a plastic grocery sack and placed in the bin at the time of the accident. This is where my child's diapers will go and I'm stating to come to terms with it.

HOWEVER, I was informed that they met with two different people at licensing and one person said the zippered wet bags are okay and the other said they are not because they may be porus around the zipper. I think they are taking their time since my son has not started at the center yet, and I'm fine with that.

I'm just trying to figure out how an old grocery sack would be acceptable and not a lined/waterproof zippered bag if they are handled in the same manner and both may contain fecal matter/urine?

Comment

Working...
                                X