Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cloth Diapers

How many of you allow them?
    For those that use them, how do you do it to keep within licensing requirements?

My daycare is trying to work with me to come up with a solution, they want to package EACH diaper it its own zip lock and place it outside next to the front door. It honestly makes me feel sad to picture my diapers outside, in the rain/snow/sun just discarded next to the door for me to collect and take home in the evening.

R430-100-23 Diapering
    If cloth diaperes are used:
    (1) they shall not be rinsed at the center;and
    (b) after a diaper change, the caregiver shall place the cloth diaper directly into a leak proof container that is inaccessible to children and labeled with the child's name, or a leak proof diapering service container.

Am I insane to ask to provide a container like this that I can take home each day and wash/sanitize? This seems it would be much less work than the caregiver baggy-ing up each diaper and placing it outside (and more enviornmentally friendly).

Just wondering what your thoughts are. Am I being a huge pain? Am I horrible for not just using disposable to make things easier?

Originally posted by happymom View Post
    How many of you allow them?
    For those that use them, how do you do it to keep within licensing requirements?

My daycare is trying to work with me to come up with a solution, they want to package EACH diaper it its own zip lock and place it outside next to the front door. It honestly makes me feel sad to picture my diapers outside, in the rain/snow/sun just discarded next to the door for me to collect and take home in the evening.

R430-100-23 Diapering
    If cloth diaperes are used:
    (1) they shall not be rinsed at the center;and
    (b) after a diaper change, the caregiver shall place the cloth diaper directly into a leak proof container that is inaccessible to children and labeled with the child's name, or a leak proof diapering service container.

Am I insane to ask to provide a container like this that I can take home each day and wash/sanitize? This seems it would be much less work than the caregiver baggy-ing up each diaper and placing it outside (and more enviornmentally friendly).

Just wondering what your thoughts are. Am I being a huge pain? Am I horrible for not just using disposable to make things easier?
    I allow and encourage the use of cloth diapers.

I have the same licensing rules as above.

I have the parent supply a wet bag that seals. After each change I put the diaper in the wet bag. It holds more than one.

My parent has small wet bags just for poo diapers and has recently started including them so I can put the poo ones in the smaller bags so she doesn't get "surprised" when emptying the wet bag at night.

I have zero issues with doing any of that. It's not hard and it's not a big deal.

I don't make the wet bag stay outside :confused: as it seals and therefore does not smell anymore than my normal regular garbage does.
    I think putting them outside is sort of overboard. and the bagging "EACH" diaper in a separate bag thing... that's extreme in my honest opinion.

Comment

I would ask you to supply the bags, I wouldn't put them outside though.

Comment

Thank you.

My first son was cloth diapered that way (one zipping wet bag to accomodate all diapers that was kept inside --- occasionally put on the back porch if there was an extra smelly one).

Do you think they are just interpreting the rules incorrectly? Or trying to discourage me from using cloth?

Comment

I have them bring a wet bag and if it's a poopy I stick in a grocery sack before putting in wet bag. Then I put wet bag in a backpack parents supply.
          No hassles.

Comment

I have a client with cloth diapers as well and a bag to put them in. She also brings homemade wipes. The diapers are very cool.. Just like pampers but made out of cloth...no major issues with them. The wipes are made out of thin flannel and she brings them in plastic sandwich container.
            Last edited by Annalee; 09-16-2015, 03:49 PM. Reason: added

Comment

I had a family use the wet bag recently BUT it did smell. It honestly discouraged me from accepting cloth in the future, because the smell was overwhelming (ammonia like) at times.

Comment

Thank you for all of the responses!

My old daycare had zero problems with them (except at one point they started to leak, turns out a waterproof liner needed replacing and I was unaware) but she was also unlicensed so didn't have strict guidelines to follow.

I am feeling like my provider is misinterpreting the rules, but I don't know how to get around it without saying "you're wrong! we CAN do this, just work with me!"

Comment

Originally posted by Controlled Chaos View Post
                  I had a family use the wet bag recently BUT it did smell. It honestly discouraged me from accepting cloth in the future, because the smell was overwhelming (ammonia like) at times.
                  Your family needs to strip their diapers! Ammonia build up is very common in cloth diapers, but it is easily remedied. Boiling (clean) diapers, bleaching them, or soaking them in ammonia remover for fish tanks (overnight in a washer or bathtub) will do the trick. It must be done every 4-6 months, it is part of cloth diaper maintainance. Not all materials can be boiled (PUL can not so make sure they check)

Comment

I do cloth for one of mine. The wet bag doesn't mask poop smell, though, so I set it on my back porch if necessary. I only care for a few, though, so a daycare center may have different rules. (Just read about your daycare experience with your child being hurt). A large center may be less accomodating.

Comment

Just to add, I am not sure why you would be sad if they setstinky diapers outside? They are diapers, not your baby, so I am confused why that is bad? I would rather they put them out, then know my kids are in a room with poop smell all day. I think it is great they are working with you...

Comment

Originally posted by mommyneedsadayoff View Post
                        Just to add, I am not sure why you would be sad if they setstinky diapers outside? They are diapers, not your baby, so I am confused why that is bad? I would rather they put them out, then know my kids are in a room with poop smell all day. I think it is great they are working with you...

I cd and ran my own cd business. I do accept cd and prefer them.

I have, and do, stick one wet bag outside b/c the diapers stink. Yes, they need to be stripped. But they are diapers and will survive outside for one day. They have other diapers to keep them company.

Comment

Originally posted by childcaremom View Post
                          . They have other diapers to keep them company.
                          ::::

...as for leaving them outside... My DCM seems to be pretty attached to hers too and talks about collecting specific prints and colors so..... :confused:

Comment

They would always be left outside, every day. Right now if a child has an accident the child's clothing is placed in a grocery bag and set outside the front door right where parents drop off and pick up kids. Something about my child's dirty diapers always being in this location doesn't sit well with me.

Comment

Originally posted by happymom View Post
                              They would always be left outside, every day. Right now if a child has an accident the child's clothing is placed in a grocery bag and set outside the front door right where parents drop off and pick up kids. Something about my child's dirty diapers always being in this location doesn't sit well with me.
                              Have you asked them about this? Maybe that's just their policy?

I put soiled clothing outside, too ... but my entrance way is really tiny and the smell just would sit.

Comment

Working...
                              X