No announcement yet.

Cloth Diapers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would accept them but in 11 years no one has.

I would probably bag them and leave the outside as well but discreetly.

As for stealing - I live up on a big hill. The walk is a killer for me and I'm in great health/shape. If someone wants to walk their butt up my driveway just to steal diapers (and probably poo ones at that!) they are welcome to them. ::::::

Comment

Originally posted by happymom View Post
      Your family needs to strip their diapers! Ammonia build up is very common in cloth diapers, but it is easily remedied. Boiling (clean) diapers, bleaching them, or soaking them in ammonia remover for fish tanks (overnight in a washer or bathtub) will do the trick. It must be done every 4-6 months, it is part of cloth diaper maintainance. Not all materials can be boiled (PUL can not so make sure they check)
      Thank for the tip. Their new baby starts in November, hopefully they will take better care of their diapers this time!

Comment

Originally posted by Controlled Chaos View Post
        Thank for the tip. Their new baby starts in November, hopefully they will take better care of their diapers this time!

Ammonia build up will actually cause painful burns. I'd bet money on "organic detergents" being at the root of it.

See if she'd be open to checking out Fluff Love University (on the net or fb) to sort out a new wash routine. If she won't, as much as I love cloth I would stop accepting it. Not only does it STINK but it's bad news for the wearer as well.

Home >> Troubleshooting >> Solving Stinky Diaper Problems by Jill Bristow Help! My cloth diapers STINK! We hear every day from moms and dads having trouble with stinky diapers. In fact,…

happymom - the only time one should need to strip their diapers is if they have very hard water and aren't using softeners, or if they've been bought used and need to be sanitized. If one has a good wash routine, ammonia should never become a problem for the lifetime of the diapers!

Comment

Originally posted by Blackcat31 View Post
          ::

These are the ones my daycare mom has been obsessed with lately:
          http://www.bumgenius.com/gallery/genius-series/

Everyone was losing their mind over "Jules" when I first started.

That was my first introduction to the dark side, it was frightening

Comment

Thank you for all of the responses!

My old daycare had zero problems with them (except at one point they started to leak, turns out a waterproof liner needed replacing and I was unaware) but she was also unlicensed so didn't have strict guidelines to follow.

I am feeling like my provider is misinterpreting the rules, but I don't know how to get around it without saying "you're wrong! we CAN do this, just work with me!"
            The rules are minimum standards which are different than child care policies. As long as the minimum standards are being met they can add additional policies.
            http://www.amazon.com/Daycare-Whispe...=doing+daycare

Comment

I charge $2.50 per day to accommodate cloth diapers. That compensates me for the total of 15 minutes per day of management and parent conferencing regarding them.
              http://www.amazon.com/Daycare-Whispe...=doing+daycare

Comment

::

Yes, this is how my DCM is about them too... She recently told me about ordering 3 of one specific print hoping to get one that had the picture (this one was a mermaid one I think) in a specific spot on the tush...

Says certain ones that have the print/pattern "just right" are worth more.

I have NO clue as my own kiddos are a lot older and cloth diapering was not so common then but I guess I can say I am familiar with the craze it's caused...

I guess there could be worse things parents are obsessed with so I'm not gonna knock her for it. Plus some of the diapers are SUPER cute!!!!

These are the ones my daycare mom has been obsessed with lately:
                http://www.bumgenius.com/gallery/genius-series/

I've gotten better about it. I have a great Beatles Yellow Submarine print, a G.I. Joe print, and a Cat in the Hat print. But they are hybrid fitteds, so you end up putting a cover over them 90% of the time anyway. They are fantastic for night time though. For most of my day time diapers we just use Best Bottoms All-in-2s. I'll admit that I didn't love them at first, but they've definitely grown on me. The micro-fiber insert that didn't need to be prepped....needed to be prepped. These are mass produced, but the covers are very cute.

Comment

Thanks everyone.

I have also been out of the cloth diaper loop and I'm just re-using the diapers my son used almost 4 years ago. While at times I felt obsessed with cloth diapers, I am really budget conscious and never bought more diapers than we needed (although one time I won a $50 gift card from my favorite CD company and got to splurge and ended up with a few extra).

I'm still working with them, I'm a little bummed since when I asked about it initially when I interviewed the center I was only told that "yes! we cloth diaper, we just can not knock off poops or re-use covers, the whole diaper must go home with you" -- they DID tell me the diapers would be put outside, I assumed there would be a back door/garbage type area they would go, and not next to the front door.

My son's daycare center is located on a busy street with lots of foot traffic and the front door is about 15 feet from the main road. I personally think all the kids soiled clothing in garbage sacks sitting next to the front door is very unwelcoming, it it were my center, I would have found a different way to accomodate that for sure.

Anyway, we'll see. It seems as if they are trying to work with me. I wish they were open to a 'one wet bag for all dirty diapers' solution since I've already invested in several medium sized wet bags just for daycare, but if I need to go get a stash of tiny wet bags, I think it'd be better than using zip locks. I have a meeting with the director on Monday where I will bring what I use and we will talk it over and hopefully come up with something that makes everyone!

I think they are making up their policy as they go since it's not something they've dealt with in a very long time.

Comment

Thanks everyone.

I have also been out of the cloth diaper loop and I'm just re-using the diapers my son used almost 4 years ago. While at times I felt obsessed with cloth diapers, I am really budget conscious and never bought more diapers than we needed (although one time I won a $50 gift card from my favorite CD company and got to splurge and ended up with a few extra).

I'm still working with them, I'm a little bummed since when I asked about it initially when I interviewed the center I was only told that "yes! we cloth diaper, we just can not knock off poops or re-use covers, the whole diaper must go home with you" -- they DID tell me the diapers would be put outside, I assumed there would be a back door/garbage type area they would go, and not next to the front door.

My son's daycare center is located on a busy street with lots of foot traffic and the front door is about 15 feet from the main road. I personally think all the kids soiled clothing in garbage sacks sitting next to the front door is very unwelcoming, it it were my center, I would have found a different way to accomodate that for sure.

Anyway, we'll see. It seems as if they are trying to work with me. I wish they were open to a 'one wet bag for all dirty diapers' solution since I've already invested in several medium sized wet bags just for daycare, but if I need to go get a stash of tiny wet bags, I think it'd be better than using zip locks. I have a meeting with the director on Monday where I will bring what I use and we will talk it over and hopefully come up with something that makes everyone!

I think they are making up their policy as they go since it's not something they've dealt with in a very long time.
                    Hope the chat goes well! Maybe bring a few wetbags to show them? I'm just thinking that maybe they don't know what they are.

Comment

Oh I am very sure they don't know what they are! Fingers crossed it all goes well. I want to get it all sorted before baby is here because I am going to be going back to work when he is very young and it's already such a stressful time I don't want to have to worry about stupid diapering stuff! Haha

Comment

Originally posted by Second Home View Post
                        Seems like I am in the minority , I don't accept cloth diapers.
                        I don't accept cloth diapers either. In my policies the dcp must provide disposables to be used here. They must also arrive for the day in a disposable.
                        I didn't cloth diaper my own children, so there is no way I'm cloth diapering someone else's. I don't know anything about it, but it just seems nasty having to handle soiled diapers more than just wrapping my rubber glove around it, tying it up and throwing it in the trash.

Comment

I try to imagine cloth diapering part time (as in at home and not at daycare) and it just seems a lot more difficult. I'd end up having a full load of like -- 8 diapers to wash?

I love cloth diapering though, I get that it isn't for everyone, I would be excited to cloth diaper someone elses kid though.

I can't even begin to imagine what kind of diaper waste is in the daycare center's garbage bins. That grosses me out WAY more than cloth diapers .

Comment

Originally posted by mim View Post
                            I don't accept cloth diapers either. In my policies the dcp must provide disposables to be used here. They must also arrive for the day in a disposable.
                            I didn't cloth diaper my own children, so there is no way I'm cloth diapering someone else's. I don't know anything about it, but it just seems nasty having to handle soiled diapers more than just wrapping my rubber glove around it, tying it up and throwing it in the trash.
                            I'm curious... in what way would you touch/handle a cloth diaper any more than you would a disposable?

I allow and ENCOURAGE the use of cloth diapers.

When changing a child in cloth diapers I do the following:

1: Have the child lie down on whatever surface you use to change them.

2: Remove the diaper

3: Roll it into a ball (including ALL waste...urine AND BM's)

4: Place it into a wet bag. Seal

5: Parent takes the soiled diapers (poo and all....LOL!) home with them

When I change a disposable diaper I do the following:

3: Roll it into a ball (including ALL waste......urine AND BM's)

4: Place it into the garbage can

Then I have to pay for the costs of disposing them.

In each scenario, I wear gloves. In each scenario you have to touch the diaper but NO more in one way than the other. In each scenario, you have to place the diaper somewhere until it can be disposed of or taken off site.

Honestly, I see NO benefits to disposables. (except for the parent who has to wash the cloth diapers but I don't do that sooooo)

Environmentally, I lovethis lovethis lovethis the fact that cloth diapering is becoming so "trendy"

Comment

I'm curious... in what way would you touch/handle a cloth diaper any more than you would a disposable?

Then I have to pay for the costs of disposing them.

In each scenario, I wear gloves. In each scenario you have to touch the diaper but NO more in one way than the other. In each scenario, you have to place the diaper somewhere until it can be disposed of or taken off site.

Honestly, I see NO benefits to disposables. (except for the parent who has to wash the cloth diapers but I don't do that sooooo)

Environmentally, I lovethis lovethis lovethis the fact that cloth diapering is becoming so "trendy"

Imho, cloth diapers are no more work for a provider than disposables are. I prefer using them and wish I could get all my clients to use them. lovethis

Comment

It's true! I love seeing providers so open to it! I think it's scary when you don't have experience, maybe have never seen a cloth diaper, don't understand how they are washed (and that you as the provider don't have to do it). I remember thinking my husband would never be open to it but now he tells all his friends how great they are.

My son's first daycare had zero experience with it, but was happy to try it.

There was a bit of a learning curve (she'd send me pics through the day and sometimes his diapers were on backwards) but it didn't cause any problems. Now she told me when she has another baby, she's going to put it in cloth!

I really believe cloth is better at containing blow outs as well especially when babes are really young. Ick.

Comment

Working...
                                X