Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Is Your Policy On No Immunizations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sharlan View Post
    When I went to the ER back in Oct, they stopped me at the door and asked if I had been to West Africa or been in contact with anyone who had. After I told them no, I was allowed to proceed and fill out the paperwork.
    When my husband went in Dec, they did the same thing. They had posters up all over the entrance and the waiting room.

Comment

Originally posted by MaryF View Post
      Just wondering, Sunchimes, and others who have said their policy is only to accept immunized children - how is this worded in your parent handbook? I want to implement the same policy and I'm stuck on the best wording to use. :confused:
      I have this in my handbook. At the interview, I just ask, and I make a special point to ask about the flu shot. On my "Meet the child" questionnaire, it has a question asking if they had a flu shot and when they had it. If they haven't had it, I would have several options. If it was a spring/summer interview, I would tell them it was required no later than October, and failure to comply would result in termination. If it was a fall/winter interview, I would probably tell them they could start 2 weeks after they got the shot. It has never come up, we seem to be a pretty compliant community.

"Immunizations
      You are required to keep your child’s immunizations current and give me a copy of the immunization records for your child. I will notify you immediately if I learn that a child in my program does not have the proper immunizations. You must update my immunization records every 6 months for children under the age of 2 and every year after that."

Comment

Originally posted by Sunchimes View Post
        I have this in my handbook. At the interview, I just ask, and I make a special point to ask about the flu shot. On my "Meet the child" questionnaire, it has a question asking if they had a flu shot and when they had it. If they haven't had it, I would have several options. If it was a spring/summer interview, I would tell them it was required no later than October, and failure to comply would result in termination. If it was a fall/winter interview, I would probably tell them they could start 2 weeks after they got the shot. It has never come up, we seem to be a pretty compliant community.

"Immunizations
        You are required to keep your child’s immunizations current and give me a copy of the immunization records for your child. I will notify you immediately if I learn that a child in my program does not have the proper immunizations. You must update my immunization records every 6 months for children under the age of 2 and every year after that."
        You require a flu shot to attend? Really? I've never heard of anyone having that policy. School/daycares locally only have the state required imms.

Our pediatrician doesn't even GIVE flu shots until mid-Dec to healthy children, and then only if a parent requests and they're available.

Comment

They start the beginning of October here and really push them. This season, flu was rampant by the first of November. In fact, one of my dck had the first case in the clinic, about 10 days after he had his shot. Turned out to be the Type A that mutated from the shot.

I have an advantage in only having 3 kids at a time. We have a very family type relationship, and I ask things of them that a more formal setting couldn't get away with (and vice-versa).

Comment

"Immunizations
            Thank you - that helps a lot!
            What you allow is what will continue.

Comment

They start the beginning of October here and really push them. This season, flu was rampant by the first of November. In fact, one of my dck had the first case in the clinic, about 10 days after he had his shot. Turned out to be the Type A that mutated from the shot.

I have an advantage in only having 3 kids at a time. We have a very family type relationship, and I ask things of them that a more formal setting couldn't get away with (and vice-versa).
              I'm impressed with the widespread availability of the flu shot in your area, here they are hard to come by. The doctors ALWAYS give them to the elderly and at risk children first, and then they go by patient request.

Comment

Just saw this and found it interesting.

Do they really want the State, or the schools, or the angry pitchfork mob to decide whether their son or daughter should be granted a pass from the vaccine schedule?

Comment

I am in NJ and they have make flu shots mandatory for kids in childcare, preschool and kindergarten since 2008.
                  They start in late August/ Early September giving the shots here in local stores (groceries, pharmacies, Target) you can't turn around without seeing a sign for Flu shots. The doctors office has them by early October.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
                    I am in NJ and they have make flu shots mandatory for kids in childcare, preschool and kindergarten since 2008.
                    They start in late August/ Early September giving the shots here in local stores (groceries, pharmacies, Target) you can't turn around without seeing a sign for Flu shots. The doctors office has them by early October.
                    I just got a flu shot (sort of late this year...oops) and there are signs everywhere here too, grocery stores, clinics, some churches.

I am gearing up to term a favorite child. I recently discovered his parents don't vax. When I asked for their vaccination records a month ago when I was becoming licensed she brought back the CDC exemption form. I didn't want to knee jerk reaction freak out so I have been debating what I need to do. I have cared for this child for a year and half, he is 5, parents always pay on time and are so respectful...though none of that matters does it?

I am furious as I realize they brought him over when my LO was a newborn and never told me he wasn't vaccinated. I just assumed he was. Now, I just had two interview for great new dcf who mentioned (without me asking) they wouldn't send their kids to a daycare with a non vaxxed kid. I think I will give them a month to find new care. I feel awful.

Comment

Originally posted by Controlled Chaos View Post
                      I just got a flu shot (sort of late this year...oops) and there are signs everywhere here too, grocery stores, clinics, some churches.

I am gearing up to term a favorite child. I recently discovered his parents don't vax. When I asked for their vaccination records a month ago when I was becoming licensed she brought back the CDC exemption form. I didn't want to knee jerk reaction freak out so I have been debating what I need to do. I have cared for this child for a year and half, he is 5, parents always pay on time and are so respectful...though none of that matters does it?

I am furious as I realize they brought him over when my LO was a newborn and never told me he wasn't vaccinated. I just assumed he was. Now, I just had two interview for great new dcf who mentioned (without me asking) they wouldn't send their kids to a daycare with a non vaxxed kid. I think I will give them a month to find new care. I feel awful.
                      You shouldn't feel awful. You have to do what protects your business. If you were to host a child without immunizations and that child exposed a child to a preventable disease you could be liable.

The parents totally understand that you have this risk. They will understand that you can't risk your families livelihood for their beliefs. They will do what they did when they found you. They will find the provider who assumes they vaxed or who will accept their waiver. It is their right to decide not to vax and with that right comes risk. Losing daycare is a very low level risk compared to the other risks they are taking.

Bit by bit as the population of non vaxers increase there will be more and more businesses that refuse service. We will see docs, hospitals, schools, child care etc that honor their choice but don't want to host it. We will also see the market share of parents who specifically look for child care that requires all kids to be immunized. There will be a market for both but, imho, not a market for a provider that allows both. Sides will have to be picked.
                      http://www.amazon.com/Daycare-Whispe...=doing+daycare

Comment

Originally posted by MaryF View Post
                        Just wondering, Sunchimes, and others who have said their policy is only to accept immunized children - how is this worded in your parent handbook? I want to implement the same policy and I'm stuck on the best wording to use. :confused:
                        Mine says this: "I have chosen not to accept children that do not receive childhood immunizations. It is mandatoryfor all children in my care to have current immunization records that must remain current throughout the entire care period.
                        A copy of shot records for each child's file is required and must be kept current."

Comment

Originally posted by mim View Post
                          Mine says this: "I have chosen not to accept children that do not receive childhood immunizations. It is mandatory for all children in my care to have current immunization records that must remain current throughout the entire care period.
                          A copy of shot records for each child's file is required and must be kept current."
                          Thank you very much!
                          What you allow is what will continue.

Comment

I won't take non vaccinated children, or partially vaccinated children. I have an infant in care, my own two kids, and my own baby on the way. Too much risk to have a non-vaxed child around them. i might consider a child who is unable to have vaccinations for medical reasons but only if I had an older group of kids who were fully vaccinated.

Comment

I care for 0-18 months only... none of my charges are old enough for the first MMR much less other stuff so why worry about something I can't control. Many of my parents split vaccines/do alternate schedule due to medical issues and I am ok with it. I am vaxed for some things & have had titers done for other diseases (I had mumps, measles & chicken pox all within 3 years when I was little); no other adults/older kids in home except me... None of my parents nor I do the flu shot. I do accept the religious exemption and nobody here knows who does what.

Comment

Serious question here, as I am .... More advanced in age than most of you and it's been many moons since I discussed vaccination with my doc.

How does a non vax kid risk health of vaxed kids?

Comment

Working...
                                X