Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Is Your Policy On No Immunizations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cradle2crayons View Post
    does your state have a policy on this?

I think I've heard that states that allow non vax... you have to let other parents know.

in my state, kids have to be vax to be in school or a licensed facility. I'm not licensed. However, in my handbook I explain that I require vax but that I offer care to medically fragile children who may be delayed in vax etc etc. I'm not required to explain that but I do.
    Good point. Ive never heard of a state requiring this but I am sure there could be some that do.

We have to tell the state if we have a non-vaxed kid but we don't have to tell other families

Comment

I don't take unvaccinated kids. I actually try not to take parents that don't agree with my parenting style, period (much less frustration over the kind of parents they are when they're the same kind of parent that I am!). I vaccinate, I don't agree with people who don't vaccinate for religious reasons or because they still believe that it causes autism, and I just choose not to have those people for clients. I will take a child on a delayed vaccination schedule, if they provide me with a written plan for vaccination and follow through with it.

Comment

I would never take an unvaccinated child. If we were to go to the playground and they somehow came down with measles, I could see an irrational parent blaming me for the illness. I also think that people who choose not to vaccinate their kids for personal reasons are absolutely negligent and I would never deal with parents who put their children at unnecessary risk. It's like not strapping your child in a car seat or seat belt and then flying down the highway expecting everyone else not to hit you.

Here's from our KS state regs.

(c) Immunizations for each child, including each child of the provider under 16 years of age, shall be current as medically appropriate and shall be maintained current for protection from the diseases specified in K.A.R. 28-1-20(d). A record of each child's immunizations shall be maintained on the child's medical record.

(d) Exceptions to the requirements for immunizations shall be permitted as specified in K.S.A. 65-508, and amendments thereto. Documentation of each exception shall be maintained on file at the child care facility.

(e) If an infant who has not been immunized against measles, mumps, rubella, and varicella because of the age of that child is enrolled and there are children in care who have not had measles, mumps, rubella, and varicella immunizations due to exemption, including the children of the provider, the parents of the infant at risk shall sign a statement that the parents have been informed of the risk to their child. This statement shall be in the infant's file at the day care or group day care home.

Comment

IF I were to take on an unvaccinated child in KS, here's what I would have to have on file:

(1) Certification from a licensed physician stating that the physical condition of the child is such that immunization would endanger the child's life or health; or

(2) a written statement signed by a parent or guardian that the parent or guardian is an adherent of a religious denomination whose teachings are opposed to immunizations

Comment

If I take non/under vaccinated kids, I just need a form in their records (Dr note or religious note). Then I have to list them on a piece of paper in the front of my child records binder so that we can easily find who is not vaccinated of anything were to happen.
            We do not have to notify other families.

Comment

thanks for all the input. After days and days of waiting for a return call from state, I found out that I do NOT have to inform other parents and that the only thing I need to do is make certain I have proper forms filled out by both parents and physician when necessary.

Comment

I only take children who are UTD on immunizations. No exceptions.

Comment

I also have medically fragile kids as well as a medically fragile husband. I require vacs, including flu shots. It's an interview question so neither of us waste our time.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunchimes View Post
                    I also have medically fragile kids as well as a medically fragile husband. I require vacs, including flu shots. It's an interview question so neither of us waste our time.
                    Just wondering, Sunchimes, and others who have said their policy is only to accept immunized children - how is this worded in your parent handbook? I want to implement the same policy and I'm stuck on the best wording to use. :confused:
                    What you allow is what will continue.

Comment

After the recent HUGE outbreak of measles that originated at Disneyland, with some of those cases being in children and adults that ARE vaccinated, I'd be hard pressed to accept non-vaccinated children. Also, infants cannot have this vaccination until a certain age and if a non-vaccinated toddler/preschooler were to expose them to something like measles, it could be deadly

Comment

To answer daycare's question. It's a personal thing. I don't want to be responsible for an unvaccinated child. We used to go to Disneyland every other week for 3 years. We go on a lot of outings where there are people from other countries. I don't want to be responsible for a child to be exposed because of our outings.

I've had cancer twice, my immunity isn't what it used to be. My dh is disabled and not in the best of health. I don't want to risk being in daily contact with an unvaccinated child being contagious for a week or so before we know.

If you don't want to vaccinate your child, that's your right. I don't have to provide daycare for your child. It's in my parent handbook that I don't take unvaccinated children.

Comment

I feel you on this.

Just curious, how do you know where it would be picked up from? How did they figure out that it came from DL?

I get that there are tons of people there from other countries and etc. but how did they figure out that the people contracted it from there?

Comment

Originally posted by daycare View Post

I feel you on this.

Just curious, how do you know where it would be picked up from? How did they figure out that it came from DL?

I get that there are tons of people there from other countries and etc. but how did they figure out that the people contracted it from there?
                            To be honest, they don't know who was the original person. Therefore, they have no idea where it originated from. The powers that be are ASSUMING that the original person was from out of the country.

We have a teenaged boy here that frequented several fast food places, the movies, and an urgent care before he knew he was contagious.

Comment

Originally posted by sharlan View Post
                              To be honest, they don't know who was the original person. Therefore, they have no idea where it originated from. The powers that be are ASSUMING that the original person was from out of the country.

We have a teenaged boy here that frequented several fast food places, the movies, and an urgent care before he knew he was contagious.
                              got it....

I guess they may have asked the question what place you last visted and they all had DL in common.

when my own son was sick around xmas time the first thing the doc asked me was have you visited west Africa or out of the country? Of course we had not, but understood their reason for asking.

ugh....why why why...I honestly don't get the whole non-vax thing. I mean you have a better chance of being struck by lightening than autism ever occurring....

SO if a child is non-vax how would you travel with them in or out of the country???

Comment

Originally posted by daycare View Post
                                got it....

I guess they may have asked the question what place you last visted and they all had DL in common.

when my own son was sick around xmas time the first thing the doc asked me was have you visited west Africa or out of the country? Of course we had not, but understood their reason for asking.
                                ugh....why why why...I honestly don't get the whole non-vax thing. I mean you have a better chance of being struck by lightening than autism ever occurring....

SO if a child is non-vax how would you travel with them in or out of the country???
                                When I went to the ER back in Oct, they stopped me at the door and asked if I had been to West Africa or been in contact with anyone who had. After I told them no, I was allowed to proceed and fill out the paperwork.

Comment

Working...
                                X