Co-Sleeping, Stroller Sleeping, or Car Seat Sleeping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hunni Bee View Post
    I couldn't baby wear. I have a traumatic back injury that was exacerbated by pregnancy and the 7 (!) epidural attempts they had to do. I wore my daughter for the first time while I was Christmas shopping. It was about 2 hours, and I could barely move when I took her off. She only weighed about 12 lbs.

Bless you all that do it.
    I had trouble wearing my first ds when he was a preemie at only 5lbs with a few of the more popular baby carriers. I couldn't stand to have him in there more then a few minutes because my back hurt so much. I tried the Ergo baby carrier and what a difference that made. I would be able to carry my 3yo around in that and not have any issues and I'm pretty tiny to begin with.

Comment

Originally posted by nannyde View Post
      I'm always interested in the concept of wearing babies that aren't your own in a group setting.

Can I ask a couple of questions? I've only heard about providers doing this in the last year or so and don't know anyone IRL to ask. I'm not against wearing... don't know a thing about it so PLEASE know this is a fishing expedition to understand it.

Are you having to take them in and out constantly? If they are front worn you would have to remove them away from diaper changes and any cooking you would do.

When you don't feel well do you keep them off of you until you know for sure you aren't getting sick?

Aren't you HOT when you wear them. I'm so hot blooded I can't imagine that part of it.

Have you ever consulted an ortho doc that specializes in repetitive motion injuries about the toll on your skeletal system over time? I wonder if an experienced veteran doc who makes his/her living off of fifty plus year olds would caution you about putting an extra ten/twenty pounds on your core day after day.

The reason I ask about your long term health is that I'm in my early fifties and am beginning to see the wear and tear from repetitive motion in this job. I have a pretty bad wrist from peeling and chopping. When I went all organic and fresh in my day care it REALLY escalated quickly.

I stand with my weight on my left foot and kick off a walk with my left foot. My left foot is killing me as we speak.

I worry that nature didn't build us to carry any babies other than our own. I know so many providers in their forties and fifties who are having significant health issues relating to how physical this job is. Back injuries are so common.

I just hope you are thinking about YOU and your future health and I'm being curious about how it really works infection control issues.
      I have never liked baby carrying not even my own- its added awkward weight. I feel like I am smushing the kid, it makes it hard for me to do anything. I love holding them but not to have them travel with me all the time. They did that for nine months Just me- I look at women who do it and it seems to be natural for some and work, for me no thanks.

I suggest a food processor Nan for cutting up your food. I love my kitchen aid. You still have to do some cutting but not as much, helps a lot especially if you cook often from scratch like you do.

Comment

I wore my own children a lot! With my oldest we lived in a major city and took trains and busses daily and this was easier. At home I didn't wear her so much but, if she was fussy I did. We also co-slept which was great for the first 12 weeks then not so great. With 2nd I did the same.

With my dcb I use the Maya wrap when we go outside for walks. We have only been out once since she has started. Too cold! I do plan on using the wrap for her when we return to the outdoors. I love it. Its easy and my hands are free. Inside I have worn her a few times. She likes it, I like it, it works.

I do agree with OP. I would love to print this and give to all new parents and those who interview!

Comment

Originally posted by Angelsj View Post
          Good Lord. Regulations on how long a child can be or wants to be held??? The day that shows up here, I am done.
          We are not allowed to hold babies while they sleep, and are to put them down once they have fallen asleep. So silly. I do wear babies, but not all the time. The problem is people in charge of the rules rarely have practical experience running an in home child care program. If a baby is fussy and tired, sometimes holding them while they sleep is exactly what they need.

The rules and regulations are daunting and I can see how it will deter many from either continuing their child care business or never starting in the first place.

Comment

EEK! think my point has been lost somewhere...Wearing a baby is no different then co-sleeping! It is not practical or helping baby to become an independent sleepers. How can you have any down time you you are wearing a baby! I cuddle, pick up for brief snuggles etc. but wearing baby? I am speechless!

Comment

::
              Originally posted by Babybear911 View Post
              EEK! think my point has been lost somewhere...Wearing a baby is no different then co-sleeping! It is not practical or helping baby to become an independent sleepers. How can you have any down time you you are wearing a baby! I cuddle, pick up for brief snuggles etc. but wearing baby? I am speechless!

I didn't! And I seriously kicked myself in the rear later! Especially when with the oldest we wanted her to sleep in her own bed. With my 2nd it was worked at that time. I was of the thinking I don't care where we sleep as long as we sleep. When she went to her first daycare it was awful. For everyone. She did adjust after about two horrid weeks.

Now with dcb. I put her down awake, hold her yes, but not while sleeping. Its amazing! ::

Comment

Baby wearing is a complete fad to me. I'm not saying it's wrong. People need to do what's comfortable for them.

When we were babies, putting us in a playpen to play while mom cooked dinner was typical. Despite this, I was walking at 11 months.

I didn't wear any of my kiddos or use playpens for them. The snugglies or whatever the brand was had just come out when my first came. I borrowed one and tried it a few times when we took the bus or went for a walk, but it didn't even occur to me to wear him around the house.

All 4 of mine also walked at 11 1/2-12 months. They all slept in their own beds at 6 weeks. Cuddle, night-night, lay in bed awake, wind up mobile, smile..that's all. Once in a blue moon someone would fall asleep snuggled on my lap, but never because I planned it that way.

Only the last few years (like 5-7) am I seeing more and more of the baby wearing and co-sleeping. Thank you, Dr. Sears!

Comment

Originally posted by Babybear911 View Post
                  There are mountains of evidence that wearing a baby is beneficial to them in many ways. I wore all my kids, and amazingly enough, they are well adjusted, loving human beings who are independent and successful, (Ages: 30,26,25,23,21,18,14,12) and not only in sleeping, but in life. If it isn't for you, fine, no problem, but there is no reason to react as though there is some harm being done to the child.

Out of curiosity, how old are you, and how many kids do you have of your own?

Comment

Originally posted by Heidi View Post
                    Baby wearing is a complete fad to me. I'm not saying it's wrong. People need to do what's comfortable for them.

When we were babies, putting us in a playpen to play while mom cooked dinner was typical. Despite this, I was walking at 11 months.

I didn't wear any of my kiddos or use playpens for them. The snugglies or whatever the brand was had just come out when my first came. I borrowed one and tried it a few times when we took the bus or went for a walk, but it didn't even occur to me to wear him around the house.

All 4 of mine also walked at 11 1/2-12 months. They all slept in their own beds at 6 weeks. Cuddle, night-night, lay in bed awake, wind up mobile, smile..that's all. Once in a blue moon someone would fall asleep snuggled on my lap, but never because I planned it that way.

Only the last few years (like 5-7) am I seeing more and more of the baby wearing and co-sleeping. Thank you, Dr. Sears!
                    Such American ethnocentrism... You might want to explain this "fad" to the millions of women around the world who have been wearing their babies for centuries. Surely they have also been doing things wrong.

Comment

Such American ethnocentrism... You might want to explain this "fad" to the millions of women around the world who have been wearing their babies for centuries. Surely they have also been doing things wrong.
                      But I think the original point was (correct me if I'm wrong) that allowing your baby to get used to sleeping in anything other than a crib or pnp and then expecting your group caregiver to do the same or for your baby to magically adjust with no issues in a group setting can create big time issues.

Comment

Originally posted by craftymissbeth View Post
                        But I think the original point was (correct me if I'm wrong) that allowing your baby to get used to sleeping in anything other than a crib or pnp and then expecting your group caregiver to do the same or for your baby to magically adjust with no issues in a group setting can create big time issues.
                        Yes, I got that. Just saying that there ARE providers willing to take a child who is not "sleep trained" etc. Some of us do have a different model, and it is ok too, even appreciate by some.
                        If you (general you) want the babies to be trained in certain ways, it is perfectly fine for you to explain that to your parents, but some of us are ok with babies that need or want to be worn. It is ok, even important, for us to all be different.

Comment

Yes, I got that. Just saying that there ARE providers willing to take a child who is not "sleep trained" etc. Some of us do have a different model, and it is ok too, even appreciate by some.
                          If you (general you) want the babies to be trained in certain ways, it is perfectly fine for you to explain that to your parents, but some of us are ok with babies that need or want to be worn. It is ok, even important, for us to all be different.
                          gotcha!

Comment

You know, we run our programs as different as night and day.

I've got 3 decades of experience caring for kids. In many different environments, many different scenarios and for many different reasons.

I have a philosophy about childrearing, as well as a philosophy for caregiving and both are similar. I also know that my way isn't the only way.

From your posts here (over-all...not limited to this thread), I have learned a lot about the "other side" of things.

It's really nice to get a perspective about something I don't do and probably won't ever do but I will be a lot more understanding/accepting of parents I do come across that do choose to do things differently than me.

I am continually amazed at how informational, educational and enlightening this forum can be.

I just wanted to say, thanks for that.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackcat31 View Post
                              You know, we run our programs as different as night and day.

I've got 3 decades of experience caring for kids. In many different environments, many different scenarios and for many different reasons.

I have a philosophy about childrearing, as well as a philosophy for caregiving and both are similar. I also know that my way isn't the only way.

From your posts here (over-all...not limited to this thread), I have learned a lot about the "other side" of things.

It's really nice to get a perspective about something I don't do and probably won't ever do but I will be a lot more understanding/accepting of parents I do come across that do choose to do things differently than me.

I am continually amazed at how informational, educational and enlightening this forum can be.

I just wanted to say, thanks for that.
                              Thanks
                              And I agree. I have learned a lot about how and WHY providers do things the way they do. And even after all these years, I do pick up on bits, pieces and perspectives that I can use and/ or enjoy and respect.
                              I actually have great parents for the most part, but they don't really get what we do. It is great to be able to talk to people who really understand.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X