Co-Sleeping, Stroller Sleeping, or Car Seat Sleeping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nannyde View Post
    I'm always interested in the concept of wearing babies that aren't your own in a group setting.

Can I ask a couple of questions? I've only heard about providers doing this in the last year or so and don't know anyone IRL to ask. I'm not against wearing... don't know a thing about it so PLEASE know this is a fishing expedition to understand it.

Are you having to take them in and out constantly? No, I have no problem with this. I use a Maya wrap and find it quite easy if I do need to move them. I also do not necessarily have to take them out for food prep, as we don't always eat cooked food. With eight of my own, I also became adept at cooking while nursing, and you can keep your body between the danger and the baby. If they are front worn you would have to remove them away from diaper changes and any cooking you would do.

When you don't feel well do you keep them off of you until you know for sure you aren't getting sick? I get sick less than once a year, so not really an issue. I don't see this being any more an issue than simply holding the infant to feed them while sick. They are not on my face while being worn.

Aren't you HOT when you wear them. I'm so hot blooded I can't imagine that part of it. I am naturally cold blooded, so I like the extra clothing. And it has been -30 F here lately.

Have you ever consulted an ortho doc that specializes in repetitive motion injuries about the toll on your skeletal system over time? I wonder if an experienced veteran doc who makes his/her living off of fifty plus year olds would caution you about putting an extra ten/twenty pounds on your core day after day. Nope, so far no problem. And I have been wearing babies since I was ten (I am now 48)

The reason I ask about your long term health is that I'm in my early fifties and am beginning to see the wear and tear from repetitive motion in this job. I have a pretty bad wrist from peeling and chopping. When I went all organic and fresh in my day care it REALLY escalated quickly.

I stand with my weight on my left foot and kick off a walk with my left foot. My left foot is killing me as we speak.

I worry that nature didn't build us to carry any babies other than our own. I know so many providers in their forties and fifties who are having significant health issues relating to how physical this job is. Back injuries are so common. Pretty sure God/nature is ok with grandbabies

I just hope you are thinking about YOU and your future health and I'm being curious about how it really works infection control issues.If it becomes an issue, then I would have to rethink. For now, it works, and I enjoy it. But thanks for your concern. :hug:
    Answers in blue...I hope

Comment

Originally posted by nannyde View Post
      I'm always interested in the concept of wearing babies that aren't your own in a group setting.

Can I ask a couple of questions? I've only heard about providers doing this in the last year or so and don't know anyone IRL to ask. I'm not against wearing... don't know a thing about it so PLEASE know this is a fishing expedition to understand it.

Are you having to take them in and out constantly? If they are front worn you would have to remove them away from diaper changes and any cooking you would do.

When you don't feel well do you keep them off of you until you know for sure you aren't getting sick?

Aren't you HOT when you wear them. I'm so hot blooded I can't imagine that part of it.

Have you ever consulted an ortho doc that specializes in repetitive motion injuries about the toll on your skeletal system over time? I wonder if an experienced veteran doc who makes his/her living off of fifty plus year olds would caution you about putting an extra ten/twenty pounds on your core day after day.

The reason I ask about your long term health is that I'm in my early fifties and am beginning to see the wear and tear from repetitive motion in this job. I have a pretty bad wrist from peeling and chopping. When I went all organic and fresh in my day care it REALLY escalated quickly.

I stand with my weight on my left foot and kick off a walk with my left foot. My left foot is killing me as we speak.

I worry that nature didn't build us to carry any babies other than our own. I know so many providers in their forties and fifties who are having significant health issues relating to how physical this job is. Back injuries are so common.

I just hope you are thinking about YOU and your future health and I'm being curious about how it really works infection control issues.
      I do a lot of baby-wearing as well. Yes, I do have to take them out when I cook lunch. I don't wear them forward-facing and I leave them in for normal diaper changes.

When I am not feeling well or feel like I am coming down with something (which is rare for me) I might not wear them as much but still do some of the time. You still have to hold a baby regardless so wearing them for a bit isn't going to change anything IMHO.

I am extremely hot-blooded (all my parents tease me about my short sleeves all winter) and I usually don't get too hot. Really. I can't stand being hot and wouldn't do it if I was uncomfortable.

As far a strain on the neck/back, it is really important to use a carrier that is well-designed. I used to use a Snugli and it really hurt my neck. An Ergo or Boba style, however, are designed to distribute the weight so that it doesn't tax your back or neck.

This job is taxing on your body, I agree. I am "only" 30 so I haven't had to deal with some of the physical ramifications yet (like repetitive motion injuries and back problems from lifting kids and equipment), but I have close friends in child care in their 50's and early 60's and they have had terrible problems with their hands, wrists, and backs.

Comment

Originally posted by Cat Herder View Post
        But for how long? 15 minutes? 4 hours? Who is meeting the other kids needs at this time?

We all love a cuddle... and a sit down. It simply is not practical for parents to expect us to have the ability.

I would love a job as a full-time daycare infant rocker... ::::
        We have a volunteer service at our hospitals to sit and rock premies in the NICU. Doesn't pay but I would enjoy just sitting and rocking. ::

Comment

I couldn't baby wear. I have a traumatic back injury that was exacerbated by pregnancy and the 7 (!) epidural attempts they had to do. I wore my daughter for the first time while I was Christmas shopping. It was about 2 hours, and I could barely move when I took her off. She only weighed about 12 lbs.

Bless you all that do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Angelsj View Post
            I do as well. I will also wear them until it no longer works or they don't want to be worn. To each their own.
            Oh my, QRIS here would be all over "baby wearing". That would be considered confinement, just like holding a child, exersaucers, high chairs, etc. if it is over 7-10 minutes. I am not sure they would even allow it to start with. Think I will check it out just for curiosity. That is one thing I would agree with QRIS on, I am not a baby-wearer!!! ::

Comment

Originally posted by Hunni Bee View Post
              I couldn't baby wear. I have a traumatic back injury that was exacerbated by pregnancy and the 7 (!) epidural attempts they had to do. I wore my daughter for the first time while I was Christmas shopping. It was about 2 hours, and I could barely move when I took her off. She only weighed about 12 lbs.

Bless you all that do it.
              They had to stick me 6 times for an epideral with my first and 4 with my last. I have been told my a handful of nurses that it's pretty common for them to miss

Comment

Originally posted by dapb45 View Post
                Oh my, QRIS here would be all over "baby wearing". That would be considered confinement, just like holding a child, exersaucers, high chairs, etc. if it is over 7-10 minutes. I am not sure they would even allow it to start with. Think I will check it out just for curiosity. That is one thing I would agree with QRIS on, I am not a baby-wearer!!! ::
                Good Lord. Regulations on how long a child can be or wants to be held??? The day that shows up here, I am done.

Comment

Originally posted by mountainside13 View Post
                  We have a volunteer service at our hospitals to sit and rock premies in the NICU. Doesn't pay but I would enjoy just sitting and rocking. ::
                  This is what I want to do when I am a little old lady and retired.

Comment

Good Lord. Regulations on how long a child can be or wants to be held??? The day that shows up here, I am done.
                    There were 3000 home daycares when QRIS started in 2002. Now there are under 900 home daycares. Most continue to keep children but went underground to avoid licensing/QRIS. Not fair to those like myself still trying to be legal and meet expectations from the state.

Comment

Wait...they actually say you can't hold a baby in your arms for more than a specified period of time???? What is this world coming to?

Comment

There were 3000 home daycares when QRIS started in 2002. Now there are under 900 home daycares. Most continue to keep children but went underground to avoid licensing/QRIS. Not fair to those like myself still trying to be legal and meet expectations from the state.
                        True, but the powers that be need to figure out soon that they are losing good providers to ridiculous rules. It is one thing to keep kids safe, but some of this is crazy, and quality providers are disappearing when caught between trying to follow all this crap or going illegal.

Comment

True, but the powers that be need to figure out soon that they are losing good providers to ridiculous rules. It is one thing to keep kids safe, but some of this is crazy, and quality providers are disappearing when caught between trying to follow all this crap or going illegal.
                          I agree!!!! Been in many state meetings, but it is bigger than state now with Federal issues coming in... At first, I felt we could change it but I do not see that happening now.

Comment

Oh wow. I don't even subscribe to the baby-wearing philosophy, but I totally disagree with that one. The exersaucers and swings, fine. But CARRYING a child around too long? Personally, I rarely have a child on me for longer than 7-10 minutes, but I'd certainly want that to be my choice (and the child's), not the state's.

As for providers disappearing, I think Meeko, who is originally from England, said something like that happened there. They instituted some sort of quality initiative, lost a bunch of daycare providers, and then had to dial it back. Unfortunately, it could take YEARS for all the states to implement it, then live with it, then lose providers, then complain about it, then pull back. Like a giant "wave" at a ballgame. We are at the start of the wave.

Comment

I was a wahm when dd was born....I was.told.to.let babybsleep in carseat or swing bc of apnea. For my kid it was more dangerous to sleep on heir back. It's not a one/all thing....even babysitter followed care plan and my kid is alive and well

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
                                I was a wahm when dd was born....I was.told.to.let babybsleep in carseat or swing bc of apnea. For my kid it was more dangerous to sleep on heir back. It's not a one/all thing....even babysitter followed care plan and my kid is alive and well
                                Not that I'm disagreeing with your doc.... but I'm disagreeing with your doc Apnea episodes actually happen more often in car seats. This is why preemies have to pass a car seat test before they are released.

Comment

Working...
                                X