Co-Sleeping, Stroller Sleeping, or Car Seat Sleeping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Co-Sleeping, Stroller Sleeping, or Car Seat Sleeping

Okay. This needs to be said. IF YOU are a Stay at home parent...and never plan on returning to work or going away for the weekend or having a babysitter then don't bother reading further...

HOWEVER, If you have a baby and are going back to the workforce or plan on having babysitters, or family watch over your child PLEASE read!!

The Co-sleeping parenting or stroller sleeping or letting baby sleep in carseat, or holding/rocking baby during naps etc., will not work if you plan on having a life away from baby.

No daycare will ever let your child sleep in a carseat (babies have been known for having "flat head" for constantly sleeping in carseats, not to mention babies who have been choked by the straps of the carseat) or a stroller (strangulation, suffocation, or falling out of stroller etc...)

It is dangerous and your are LUCKY nothing has happened to your baby! Read your instruction manual for carseats and strollers if you want to challenge this. Sure you will find a section to confirm what I have just mentioned above.

As for Co-sleeping or holding/rocking baby during entire nap...Do you anticipate having a date night or going away for a romantic weekend with partner/spouse? Do you want to get your hair done, go grocery shopping ect, and/or have a family member watch over baby?? How realistic do you see your family and friends being willing care for your baby if they have to co-sleep with your child? or hold your 40lb baby while they nap for 2 hours...baby might be small now...but as we all know babies get bigger and bigger and bigger...and eventually they will be adults one day.

What about the staff at daycare centers and home daycare? Should they "Sleep" with your baby at nap time?? Think about it. Daycare staff are there to supervise during naps not "Sleep"! They also have a number of other children to "care" for, not to mention that quiet time is usually when daycare staff are scheduled to eat their lunch and/or time to rejuvenate themselves before everyone else wakes up!

To all parents who are refusing to teach their child how to sleep independently in a CRIB. Imagine how stressed babies are when you all of sudden you say "Okay baby...Mommy/Daddy are going to work now! So see you later and by the way...no more "stroller sleeping, car seat sleeping, or co-sleeping, or rocking baby in arms sleep" Seriously! It has to stop!

If you don't know how to teach your baby how to self sooth or sleep get help! There are a number resources/companies in your community that specialize in this. It will take probably a few sessions but your baby is smart and a fast learner! Soon your baby will be the best sleeper!

You will have some personal time as a couple again and if you are a single parent then that means you can ACTUALLY have some YOU time! WOW! wouldn't that be nice!

The greatest gift you can give your child as a parent is to help them learn skills to SELF SOOTH!

Few tips if you want to try on your own:
    The second you see baby RUBBING eyes that is the first cue your baby is giving you that they are tired. Watch your baby. Record on paper for a few days when they do this. Do notice a pattern? This is what babies do...Babies will look down and start rubbing one or both eyes and start getting quiet. If you wait too much longer after this cue guess what...baby will be OVER tired and then you will have a much harder time getting them to sleep.
    Make room a nice temperature (not to cold or hot!)
    close blinds or have blackout blind. It is hard to sleep if you have lights shining on your eyes!
    Definitely DON'T make house completely silent. It is okay to putter around house and make "gentle" noises. Don't be rude by banging pots and pans ect, but use common sense.
    Babies cry. It is how they express themselves. Your job is to reassure them they are okay and then walk away, reassure them and then walk away ect., Does it take strength, confidence, and energy...you bet! but isn't your baby worth it?? Eventually your baby will understand you always come back but right now it is nap time. So sleep!
    Read The Baby Whisperer Solves All Your Problems...it is one of my favorite books and trust me! It will walk you through all of the many cues babies give us. It will help you understand, support, love and nurture your babies needs without taking over!

Good Luck!

Does that mean parents shouldn't either a) drive around for 2 additional hours because baby is sleeping or b) even though they are at their destination, sit in the car for an additional 2 hours because baby is sleeping?

I have a parent who keeps asking me how I feel about CIO...I say what you do at home is what you do at home, but your baby crying because I will not hold/rock/nurse (joking!) him/her to sleep at 9 months....crying doesn't bother me. And baby falls asleep when baby is tired (at least this one does).

Comment

I guess I am in the minority because I do rock babies to sleep if it works for them. I stop around age 2.

Comment

When I could, I have rocked babies to sleep & patted backs....when I could.

Comment

Originally posted by Leanna View Post
          I guess I am in the minority because I do rock babies to sleep if it works for them. I stop around age 2.
          But for how long? 15 minutes? 4 hours? Who is meeting the other kids needs at this time?

We all love a cuddle... and a sit down. It simply is not practical for parents to expect us to have the ability.

I would love a job as a full-time daycare infant rocker... ::::
          - Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.

Comment

My niece is going to be 4 and my sister still parks the car and waits while little one finishes a nap in the car. It always makes me laugh. It is freezing, boiling hot, or just plain uncomfortable to sit in a vehicle for an hour. sheesh.

however, I really dont care what other people do as long as it doesnt cause a disruption at daycare. I have had kids transition from co sleeping/rocking/holding at night to sleeping on their own at daycare. I co slept with all my babies but they nap on their own during the day. It is fine to do whatever you want to do at home but you need to be supportive of your provider once your child enters daycare. If your child is not happy and cooperative at daycare, you, the parent, need to solve this issue! with the teamwork of your provider. do not make your provider do it alone!

lastly, I agree that car seat, swing, stroller sleeping is really unsafe! I would thing the only exception would be if your stroller seat reclines flat AND your baby is not rolling or sitting up yet. in that case, it would basically be like sleeping in a bassinet.

Comment

I don't rock. Don't get me wrong, I would love to. I don't even have very many dcks (legally non-registered in Iowa) compared to most of the providers here. But my rest time is my cleaning time, lunch time, and overall chill down time. All other times of the day I need to be available to all the children in my care, not just one child I am rocking.

Comment

Originally posted by Cat Herder View Post
                But for how long? 15 minutes? 4 hours? Who is meeting the other kids needs at this time?

We all love a cuddle... and a sit down. It simply is not practical for parents to expect us to have the ability.

I would love a job as a full-time daycare infant rocker... ::::
                Lol. I didn't mean that I hold them while they sleep...I haven't gotten that request yet (nor would I do it). I will rock a baby to sleep if they fall asleep in a reasonable amount of time (5-10 min.). If it is during naptime I simply save the babies for last (I only have 2 under the age of 2 at a time) and rock one while the other is in the swing or PNP. Then when the first one is asleep I rock the other one...and this is only if I have two that need it. I have cared for lots of babies that I could just lay down and say "night night!"

If it is for their morning nap, I make sure everyone is occupied during free play and I rock the baby to sleep. The babies always sleep wherever we are (playroom, living room, etc.) so they get used to napping through the noise of play very quickly and the other kids still have me as needed.

I don't mind doing it and it works for me. If a child needed to be rocked excessively to fall asleep I wouldn't consider that "working for them" as I said in my first post. It has to be effective for me to do it.

Comment

I don't rock them. I only have 2 and I actually LOVE seeing a baby fall asleep in my arms, but I'm not risking them getting used to it. What if I'm unable to rock them one day because something/someone needs my attention? And I'm not going to just do it every once in awhile... because then that's not consistent.

Comment

I love putting them to bed wide awake and seeing how long it takes for all of them to be out. Bout two to three minutes!
                    http://www.amazon.com/Daycare-Whispe...=doing+daycare

Comment

Originally posted by Babybear911 View Post
                      Okay. This needs to be said. IF YOU are a Stay at home parent...and never plan on returning to work or going away for the weekend or having a babysitter then don't bother reading further...

HOWEVER, If you have a baby and are going back to the workforce or plan on having babysitters, or family watch over your child PLEASE read!!

The Co-sleeping parenting or stroller sleeping or letting baby sleep in carseat, or holding/rocking baby during naps etc., will not work if you plan on having a life away from baby.

No daycare will ever let your child sleep in a carseat (babies have been known for having "flat head" for constantly sleeping in carseats, not to mention babies who have been choked by the straps of the carseat) or a stroller (strangulation, suffocation, or falling out of stroller etc...)

It is dangerous and your are LUCKY nothing has happened to your baby! Read your instruction manual for carseats and strollers if you want to challenge this. Sure you will find a section to confirm what I have just mentioned above.

As for Co-sleeping or holding/rocking baby during entire nap...Do you anticipate having a date night or going away for a romantic weekend with partner/spouse? Do you want to get your hair done, go grocery shopping ect, and/or have a family member watch over baby?? How realistic do you see your family and friends being willing care for your baby if they have to co-sleep with your child? or hold your 40lb baby while they nap for 2 hours...baby might be small now...but as we all know babies get bigger and bigger and bigger...and eventually they will be adults one day.

What about the staff at daycare centers and home daycare? Should they "Sleep" with your baby at nap time?? Think about it. Daycare staff are there to supervise during naps not "Sleep"! They also have a number of other children to "care" for, not to mention that quiet time is usually when daycare staff are scheduled to eat their lunch and/or time to rejuvenate themselves before everyone else wakes up!

To all parents who are refusing to teach their child how to sleep independently in a CRIB. Imagine how stressed babies are when you all of sudden you say "Okay baby...Mommy/Daddy are going to work now! So see you later and by the way...no more "stroller sleeping, car seat sleeping, or co-sleeping, or rocking baby in arms sleep" Seriously! It has to stop!

If you don't know how to teach your baby how to self sooth or sleep get help! There are a number resources/companies in your community that specialize in this. It will take probably a few sessions but your baby is smart and a fast learner! Soon your baby will be the best sleeper!

You will have some personal time as a couple again and if you are a single parent then that means you can ACTUALLY have some YOU time! WOW! wouldn't that be nice!

The greatest gift you can give your child as a parent is to help them learn skills to SELF SOOTH!

Few tips if you want to try on your own:
                      The second you see baby RUBBING eyes that is the first cue your baby is giving you that they are tired. Watch your baby. Record on paper for a few days when they do this. Do notice a pattern? This is what babies do...Babies will look down and start rubbing one or both eyes and start getting quiet. If you wait too much longer after this cue guess what...baby will be OVER tired and then you will have a much harder time getting them to sleep.
                      Make room a nice temperature (not to cold or hot!)
                      close blinds or have blackout blind. It is hard to sleep if you have lights shining on your eyes!
                      Definitely DON'T make house completely silent. It is okay to putter around house and make "gentle" noises. Don't be rude by banging pots and pans ect, but use common sense.
                      Babies cry. It is how they express themselves. Your job is to reassure them they are okay and then walk away, reassure them and then walk away ect., Does it take strength, confidence, and energy...you bet! but isn't your baby worth it?? Eventually your baby will understand you always come back but right now it is nap time. So sleep!
                      Read The Baby Whisperer Solves All Your Problems...it is one of my favorite books and trust me! It will walk you through all of the many cues babies give us. It will help you understand, support, love and nurture your babies needs without taking over!

Good Luck!
                      This is amazing and right on! I feel like banging my head against the wall every time I have to have this conversation with a first time parent!

Comment

Originally posted by Leanna View Post
                        I do as well. I will also wear them until it no longer works or they don't want to be worn. To each their own.

Comment

Originally posted by nannyde View Post
                          I love putting them to bed wide awake and seeing how long it takes for all of them to be out. Bout two to three minutes!

Comment

Originally posted by Angelsj View Post
                            I do as well. I will also wear them until it no longer works or they don't want to be worn. To each their own.
                            I'm always interested in the concept of wearing babies that aren't your own in a group setting.

Can I ask a couple of questions? I've only heard about providers doing this in the last year or so and don't know anyone IRL to ask. I'm not against wearing... don't know a thing about it so PLEASE know this is a fishing expedition to understand it.

Are you having to take them in and out constantly? If they are front worn you would have to remove them away from diaper changes and any cooking you would do.

When you don't feel well do you keep them off of you until you know for sure you aren't getting sick?

Aren't you HOT when you wear them. I'm so hot blooded I can't imagine that part of it.

Have you ever consulted an ortho doc that specializes in repetitive motion injuries about the toll on your skeletal system over time? I wonder if an experienced veteran doc who makes his/her living off of fifty plus year olds would caution you about putting an extra ten/twenty pounds on your core day after day.

The reason I ask about your long term health is that I'm in my early fifties and am beginning to see the wear and tear from repetitive motion in this job. I have a pretty bad wrist from peeling and chopping. When I went all organic and fresh in my day care it REALLY escalated quickly.

I stand with my weight on my left foot and kick off a walk with my left foot. My left foot is killing me as we speak.

I worry that nature didn't build us to carry any babies other than our own. I know so many providers in their forties and fifties who are having significant health issues relating to how physical this job is. Back injuries are so common.

I just hope you are thinking about YOU and your future health and I'm being curious about how it really works infection control issues.
                            http://www.amazon.com/Daycare-Whispe...=doing+daycare

Comment

Originally posted by nannyde View Post
                              I'm always interested in the concept of wearing babies that aren't your own in a group setting.

Can I ask a couple of questions? I've only heard about providers doing this in the last year or so and don't know anyone IRL to ask. I'm not against wearing... don't know a thing about it so PLEASE know this is a fishing expedition to understand it.

Are you having to take them in and out constantly? If they are front worn you would have to remove them away from diaper changes and any cooking you would do.

When you don't feel well do you keep them off of you until you know for sure you aren't getting sick?

Aren't you HOT when you wear them. I'm so hot blooded I can't imagine that part of it.

Have you ever consulted an ortho doc that specializes in repetitive motion injuries about the toll on your skeletal system over time? I wonder if an experienced veteran doc who makes his/her living off of fifty plus year olds would caution you about putting an extra ten/twenty pounds on your core day after day.

The reason I ask about your long term health is that I'm in my early fifties and am beginning to see the wear and tear from repetitive motion in this job. I have a pretty bad wrist from peeling and chopping. When I went all organic and fresh in my day care it REALLY escalated quickly.

I stand with my weight on my left foot and kick off a walk with my left foot. My left foot is killing me as we speak.

I worry that nature didn't build us to carry any babies other than our own. I know so many providers in their forties and fifties who are having significant health issues relating to how physical this job is. Back injuries are so common.

I just hope you are thinking about YOU and your future health and I'm being curious about how it really works infection control issues.
                              I know me personally this is why "baby wearing" has never worked for me with my own children, let alone someone else's! The few times I've tried it for longer than a walk I've ended up with some bad back pain (and I've used only the "best" carriers....Moby and Ergo). On top of that, the frequent putting them "on" and "off" I found to be too cumbersome. I guess I never really saw the benefit because I'm always in the kitchen cooking, cleaning or I'm in the bathroom changing diapers or I'm on the floor with the kids (perfect opportunity for tummy time!). None of these situations are really conducive to baby wearing IMO.

Comment

Working...
                              X