Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Willow View Post
    unconstitutional legislation
    The Supreme Court disagrees with your view that this is unconstitutional legislation.

In a striking victory for President Obama and Congressional Democrats, the chief justice, John G. Roberts Jr., affirmed the central legislative pillar of Mr. Obama’s term.

The Affordable Care Act is now the law of the land. It was passed by both the House and Senate and signed into law by the President. It has been challenged all the way to the Supreme Court and found to be constitutional as to the challenges that were made.

The current situation in our government is nothing but political brinksmanship gone awry. The members of Congress need to quit the political posturing and get back to the business of running this country.

Comment

I believed the word "affordable" too ... until I decided to see what it would be for my husband and me (no dependents). The CHEAPEST plan, which only covers catastrophic incidents, was almost $400 a month. If we wanted the "bronze" so-so coverage plan, it would be in the $600 a month range. If we wanted GOOD coverage similar to what we have now under my husband's employment, it was in the $800's. It's even more in most states! Like in the high thousands. Per month!! And mind you, this is with no dependents.

If you want to check what it would be for you and your family, go to healthcare.gov and click the green "APPLY NOW". Don't worry, you're not actually applying! Some states (about 15) provide their own separate website to check coverages, but you'll still start out at healthcare.gov . Also, some of them have you sign up for the website. It's your call whether you want to do that or not. It's not like you're actually signing up for coverage, you're just checking prices.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy View Post
        I believed the word "affordable" too ... until I decided to see what it would be for my husband and me (no dependents). The CHEAPEST plan, which only covers catastrophic incidents, was almost $400 a month. If we wanted the "bronze" so-so coverage plan, it would be in the $600 a month range. If we wanted GOOD coverage similar to what we have now under my husband's employment, it was in the $800's. It's even more in most states! Like in the high thousands. Per month!! And mind you, this is with no dependents.

If you want to check what it would be for you and your family, go to healthcare.gov and click the green "APPLY NOW". Don't worry, you're not actually applying! Some states (about 15) provide their own separate website to check coverages, but you'll still start out at healthcare.gov . Also, some of them have you sign up for the website. It's your call whether you want to do that or not. It's not like you're actually signing up for coverage, you're just checking prices.

It's absolute insanity........the American people were totally duped and it's so incredibly wrong on every level imaginable.

Comment

I continually check prices for health insurance because my husband's company plan is very expensive for what amounts to mediocre coverage. Bunch of sick people there...... but I digress.

When I checked the prices after the websites went live on Tuesday I found that the prices I've been tracking actually went down, for what amounts to better coverage because of the mandates that are included as far as preventive care and the like. If it's possible to do it, it may actually be cheaper for us to buy our coverage on the exchange.

I've never been a big supporter of this legislation, but it might, just maybe, benefit me on a personal level. I guess only time will tell if it will actually be a good thing or a booby prize.

Comment

Originally posted by MyAngels View Post
            I continually check prices for health insurance because my husband's company plan is very expensive for what amounts to mediocre coverage. Bunch of sick people there...... but I digress.

When I checked the prices after the websites went live on Tuesday I found that the prices I've been tracking actually went down, for what amounts to better coverage because of the mandates that are included as far as preventive care and the like. If it's possible to do it, it may actually be cheaper for us to buy our coverage on the exchange.

I've never been a big supporter of this legislation, but it might, just maybe, benefit me on a personal level. I guess only time will tell if it will actually be a good thing or a booby prize.
            I am genuinely curious why you think socialized health care will somehow be different here than it is for all of Canada and the UK?

Comment

I am genuinely curious why you think socialized health care will somehow be different here than it is for all of Canada and the UK?
              I'm genuinely curious as to why you're asking me this question? :confused:.

The only contributions I've made to this thread are

*my opinion that Congress should be run by daycare providers;

*my speculation via a bit I saw on the news as to why certain republicans feel they can "dig their heels in"

*a link to a news article that there may be some progress on ending the shutdown

*that the Affordable Care Act was lawfully passed and found constitutional as to the arguments made by the Supreme Court;

*and my personal experiences as to the cost quoted me vs. my DH's group plan.

I have not mentioned my position on socialized medicine or how that might relate to the Affordable Care Act, the Canadian medical system or the United Kingdom's medical system.

Comment

*my speculation via a bit I saw on the news as to why certain republicans feel they can "dig their heels in"

*a link to a news article that there may be some progress on ending the shutdown

*that the Affordable Care Act was lawfully passed and found constitutional as to the arguments made by the Supreme Court;

I have not mentioned my position on socialized medicine or how that might relate to the Affordable Care Act, the Canadian medical system or the United Kingdom's medical system.
                Well put. This thread is beginning to look like a chat room.

Comment

Laurel

Comment

Originally posted by snbauser View Post
                    Although I agree with some of what you say, I think that the problem right now is that the law passed. Democracy occurred and there was a deal that was hammered out and passed the House, the Senate, and was signed by the President. Now the current legislatures have decided they don't like that deal and have decided that instead of trying to change the law using the democratic process, they will not fund it instead and won't approve a budget that does fund it. In addition, there is a majority that will approve a measure to fund the government, but ONE person (Sen Boehner) refuses to bring the budget to the floor to be voted on. That is NOT how the democratic process is supposed to work. That is throwing a temper tantrum because your party agreed to something and now you have decided you don't like that agreement.

Laurel

Comment

I had a thread about how the shutdown affected one of my families, and I asked that it not be turned into a political discussion. Therefore, I have started this thread so that you CAN get political.

Go..........
                      I'm sorry, I thought the above was exactly what was being discussed....apparently I was out of line offering my two cents on what was asked or was somehow confused by the original post......my bad :confused:

Comment

I'm sorry, I thought the above was exactly what was being discussed....apparently I was out of line offering my two cents on what was asked or was somehow confused by the original post......my bad :confused:
                        I didn't think you were (out of line that is). I was just confused as to why you were asking me, specifically (via quoting my post), about socialized medicine .

Comment

Willow, hopefully I can help clear this up. It looks like a misunderstanding to me.

I think "MyAngels" was just wondering why you singled HER out when you (seemed to) ask why SHE thought the ACA would be any better than Universal Healthcare is in other countries. She had not specifically said that (or even hinted at it, IMO), so she's confused as to why you quoted one of her comments and posed that question to her.

Am I close, Angels???

Comment

Willow, hopefully I can help clear this up. It looks like a misunderstanding to me.

I think "MyAngels" was just wondering why you singled HER out when you (seemed to) ask why SHE thought the ACA would be any better than Universal Healthcare is in other countries. She had not specifically said that (or even hinted at it, IMO), so she's confused as to why you quoted one of her comments and posed that question to her.

Am I close, Angels???
                            Yep, that's exactly what I was thinking

Comment

I have a provider friend that is single. She had bought a private insurance policy that she had for years. Over time it went up to $1200 a month. She simply couldn't afford it anymore. It was higher than her house payment. She says she was just lucky that she didn't have any major health issues in 7 years. Now she is on Medicare so she is much relieved. Before she had to drop it she did look around for better prices but no one would take her at all, no matter what the cost, because she has diabetes (which has been controlled for years, btw).

To her, the prices you quoted above would have been music to her ears plus she couldn't be refused because she has diabetes. She could have at least afforded the $400 and probably the $600 so at least she would have had something.

Laurel

Comment

I'm never quite sure why Americans bring up socialized medicine in other countries to prove a point that socialized medicine is a "bad" thing. :confused: I've *never* met a Canadian who didn't like their health care system - most sing their praises and can't fathom living in the US and risk going broke over a serious health issue:confused: I'm not saying it's all sunshine and roses, no system ever is - and certainly in some rural provinces doctors are in shorter supply, but that's not much different from some places in the US.

As for the shutdown - or really, anything that happens in this country - I don't even care anymore. Seriously, all politicians are corrupt, our foreign policy is a joke and our ignorance makes us the laughing stock of the world. Wooo hooo.

Yep, I'm jaded...

Comment

Working...
                                X