No announcement yet.

Your Thoughts On The Government Shutdown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think its ridiculous! To me it show's our nation's true colors: selfishness and power first regardless of how anyone else is effected. I'm sure all those congressmen that refuse to compromise don't care one shred about all the people suffering, like the DCM that C2C posted about, they just are concerned about getting their way.

Are we going to get a refund on our taxes since we can't use any of the federal services that we're paying for

Comment

Originally posted by Lyss View Post
      I think its ridiculous! To me it show's our nations true colors: selfishness and power first regardless of how anyone else is effected.

Are we going to get a refund on our taxes since we can't use any of the federal services that we're paying for
      We actually just sent in our last year's taxes (had an extension) and are due a refund. I guess that will be late now. Well for two years prior we didn't get our refund as it was stolen (identity theft) until well after a year after we filed. But, to their credit (and probably the law) we got a $65 check added to it for interest plus our refunds back. This year they gave us a PIN number and supposedly no one can steal it. We'll see!....whenever that may be now.

Sorry, went off on a tangent there...

For some reason I don't think they'll refund any of our taxes for this.

Laurel

Comment

I've heard that workers might get retro pay when they go back. Do you think they will?

Comment

Originally posted by Laurel View Post
          We actually just sent in our last year's taxes (had an extension) and are due a refund. I guess that will be late now. Well for two years prior we didn't get our refund as it was stolen (identity theft) until well after a year after we filed. But, to their credit (and probably the law) we got a $65 check added to it for interest plus our refunds back. This year they gave us a PIN number and supposedly no one can steal it. We'll see!....whenever that may be now.

Sorry, went off on a tangent there...

For some reason I don't think they'll refund any of our taxes for this.

Laurel
          Sorry to hear about the identity theft! Scary! I've had that happen, not with my taxes but over $25k in debt accrued in my name. Not fun! Glad you got an interest check too! It seems funny that we're always stunned when our government does something that is actually fair for us ::

Yeah I'm pretty sure we won't seen any refund but wouldn't that be nice?

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy View Post
            I've heard that workers might get retro pay when they go back. Do you think they will?
            I doubt it because they have them on furloughs so they aren't working. I think that they should get some sort of retribution for not receiving paychecks on time, don't regular employers get fined if they don't pay employees? Although I'm guessing there is something about this in the contract all federal employees sign when hired

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
              Meteorologists cover themselves with "partly cloudy with a chance of rain". Translation= could be sunny, could be rain, could be clouds.

A politician covers themselves with, "its the other party's fault. Think how bad things would be if we didn't fight "them".

They are all the same. Results are what matters and we haven't seen much of that in a while. I say give the Congress to Daycare Providers. They have to balance a budget, take care of cry babies, wipe away wasteful crap. Just what America needs. Then we can have quiet time.
              well said!
              Last edited by Michael; 10-03-2013, 11:47 AM.

Comment

I doubt it because they have them on furloughs so they aren't working. I think that they should get some sort of retribution for not receiving paychecks on time, don't regular employers get fined if they don't pay employees? Although I'm guessing there is something about this in the contract all federal employees sign when hired
                I heard it on the news on tv last night, then looked it up online this morning.... here's what I read http://www.abc2news.com/dpp/news/nat...after-shutdown

They're trying to pay them retro like they did 17 years ago. I'm just wondering if you guys think it'll actually happen.

Another question I just thought of is, what if they collected unemployment? The DCD in my situation applied for it earlier this week, and there's a one-week waiting period. If the shutdown lasts beyond next week, he'll be collecting unemployment payments. I wonder IF they end up getting retro pay, if there will be a system for deducting any unemployment they received.

What a mess!!!!!

Comment

Sorry to hear about the identity theft! Scary! I've had that happen, not with my taxes but over $25k in debt accrued in my name. Not fun! Glad you got an interest check too! It seems funny that we're always stunned when our government does something that is actually fair for us ::

Yeah I'm pretty sure we won't seen any refund but wouldn't that be nice?
                  The only thing we had stolen was our refund checks. It was a crime ring in our area and I think other places in the U.S. also. They did try to get into other accounts we had but didn't. I am not yelling but this needs to be in all caps. TWO WORDS....LIFE ALERT. It is cheap and effective. We always get alerted if anyone tries to mess with our accounts.

Yep something fair is always suspected. I suppose it is probably a law though. Not like they wanted too. :: (Hmmm, I wonder what makes me so cynical? )

That reminds me that one year our power and light company was fair too...well kinda. We had been having power glitches (meaning the power turns off for just a few seconds and then comes back on). Well our central air burnt out because of it. So I had a record of the times of the glitches and sent a letter to the power company. They had us fill out a form and actually took responsibility for it. The only thing was that the AC unit was still under warranty. So the AC company had to give us a new one but the power company paid to have it installed. By rights though, the AC manufacturer shouldn't have had to eat that cost. I was surprised that the power company did anything at all. So you never know what you might get unless you ask.

Laurel

Comment

My husband works for our county and they have had furlough days in the past because of budget issues (not because of this current federal thing). They don't get paid for those days. This might be different though.

Laurel

Comment

Originally posted by Laurel View Post
                      If they do that they won't get re-elected but too bad. I doubt they'll get re-elected this way either.
                      I was watching someone the other day and they said that one of the reasons the Republicans that are dug in the hardest on the issue of funding the ACA feel that they can hold firm on this is because they are from areas where they are basically untouchable as far as the next term elections go.

Comment

Possible progress?

Now if Boehner will just get on board.

Comment

Originally posted by MyAngels View Post
                          I was watching someone the other day and they said that one of the reasons the Republicans that are dug in the hardest on the issue of funding the ACA feel that they can hold firm on this is because they are from areas where they are basically untouchable as far as the next term elections go.
                          Oh yeah, I think I read that too come to think of it.

Laurel

Comment

The whole thing is insane. This shutdown is costing billions per day. Just the national parks alone are a big moneymaker for the govt. Plus I'm bummed my hike is cancelled this weekend.

It isn't about compromise. Its about throwing giant temper tantrums. They are acting like non-verbal toddlers. Their parents should be ashamed. And because of their actions the whole country is punished.

The White House should have done a better job of explaining the ACA. I've seen commercials against it but none explaining it. I have researched it and its still pretty confusing.

Comment

I'm sure I'll get flamed for this, but I'm not sure how I feel about the employees receiving retro pay. Yeah, it's not their fault that they aren't able to work, but why not just let them work if they're going to get paid for it anyway? I guess I just don't understand that perspective at all.

Comment

Originally posted by craftymissbeth View Post
                                I'm sure I'll get flamed for this, but I'm not sure how I feel about the employees receiving retro pay. Yeah, it's not their fault that they aren't able to work, but why not just let them work if they're going to get paid for it anyway? I guess I just don't understand that perspective at all.
                                It might serve as an economic stimulus. Give them their money so that it goes back into the economy and helps prevent a downturn. If the federal workers can't pay mortgages and stuff, it could cause bad problems! (again )

Comment

Working...
                                X