Your Thoughts On The Government Shutdown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by craftymissbeth View Post
    I'm sure I'll get flamed for this, but I'm not sure how I feel about the employees receiving retro pay. Yeah, it's not their fault that they aren't able to work, but why not just let them work if they're going to get paid for it anyway? I guess I just don't understand that perspective at all.
    That was my thought to! But I'm quite ignorant with government dealings.

Comment

Originally posted by butterfly View Post
      That was my thought to! But I'm quite ignorant with government dealings.
      Me too

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy View Post
        It might serve as an economic stimulus. Give them their money so that it goes back into the economy and helps prevent a downturn. If the federal workers can't pay mortgages and stuff, it could cause bad problems! (again )
        Honestly, it would make more sense (in my puny mind) to just let them keep working and forget the whole shutdown. Also, in any career situation you have to be prepared with an emergency fund. I honestly don't feel bad for people who don't prepare themselves ahead of time for something like this... not necessarily a government shutdown, but for ANY disaster/tragedy/job-loss-of-any-kind. I DO feel bad that they're in this situation and it's ridiculously unnecessary, but retro paying them for work they didn't do simply to stimulate the economy and make sure these people can still pay their bills doesn't make sense.

Now, before anyone freaks out on me for saying all that I want to remind you that I feel terrible for these people... they certainly do not deserve what they are going through and the uncertainty of it all.

Comment

Honestly, it would make more sense (in my puny mind) to just let them keep working and forget the whole shutdown. Also, in any career situation you have to be prepared with an emergency fund. I honestly don't feel bad for people who don't prepare themselves ahead of time for something like this... not necessarily a government shutdown, but for ANY disaster/tragedy/job-loss-of-any-kind. I DO feel bad that they're in this situation and it's ridiculously unnecessary, but retro paying them for work they didn't do simply to stimulate the economy and make sure these people can still pay their bills doesn't make sense.

Now, before anyone freaks out on me for saying all that I want to remind you that I feel terrible for these people... they certainly do not deserve what they are going through and the uncertainty of it all.
          I totally agree with you!! You won't see any flaming torches coming from me!

Comment

I agree with you 100%.

Honestly, I think it is the most stupidest thing they would shut down because they dont want to deal with stupid obamacare! I wouldn't care about Obamacare which I dont agree with. I would be glad Obama will be out within 3 more years anyways!

Comment

I'm sure I'll get flamed for this, but I'm not sure how I feel about the employees receiving retro pay. Yeah, it's not their fault that they aren't able to work, but why not just let them work if they're going to get paid for it anyway? I guess I just don't understand that perspective at all.
              There are many people who are still working but not being paid. My mom is among them. She was even told that they aren't allowed sick days and anyone with leave already approved now loses it.

And yes everyone should be prepared, but life happens. My mom had her entire savings stolen last month. I will help her out in the meantime, but she sure had better be paid for the work she is required to keep doing. There are many people just like her in the country right now.

Comment

I'm glad they're digging their heels in.

If there's anything they should dig their heels in about it SHOULD be against unconstitutional legislation brought forth by arrogant egotistical elected officials.

I'm not happy about a government shut down but something like this needed to happen to wake this country up.

I'm glad at least someone is paying attention and demanding a big fat *NO MORE*

The current administration is completely out of control and needs to be stopped. I think it's the left that's throwing the tantrum because the people are refusing to bend over, not the other way around.....

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
                  I agree with you 100%.

Honestly, I think it is the most stupidest thing they would shut down because they dont want to deal with stupid obamacare! I wouldn't care about Obamacare which I dont agree with. I would be glad Obama will be out within 3 more years anyways!
                  Democracy isn't stupid.

It's the very foundation of this country and it's exactly what protects the freedoms we are all entitled to.

This country can't afford and shouldn't accept three more years of bully tactics and constitution stomping.

It's time to bully back since nothing else has worked thus far.

Comment

Originally posted by Lavender View Post
                    There are many people who are still working but not being paid. My mom is among them. She was even told that they aren't allowed sick days and anyone with leave already approved now loses it.

And yes everyone should be prepared, but life happens. My mom had her entire savings stolen last month. I will help her out in the meantime, but she sure had better be paid for the work she is required to keep doing. There are many people just like her in the country right now.
                    That's totally different than what I said, though. If she's working she deserves to be paid, of course! What I said in the posts above is that my concern is with those who aren't working getting paid and that it wouldn't make sense to keep them working and then pay them... it just doesn't make sense to me.

And the issue with her savings is different than what I said above. She was prepared and that's great. Exactly what I said everyone should do. I'm sorry she lost it all and on top of that is working w/o pay... that really is sad and I hope everything works out for her in the end.

Comment

Originally posted by Willow View Post
                      Democracy isn't stupid.

It's the very foundation of this country and it's exactly what protects the freedoms we are all entitled to.

This country can't afford and shouldn't accept three more years of bully tactics and constitution stomping.

It's time to bully back since nothing else has worked thus far.
                      I completely agree, but at what cost? The bullying back by way of government shutdown is not directly affecting those that issued the shutdown. It's drastically affecting the citizens who rely on those in office to act as our voice, though.

Comment

Originally posted by JenNJ View Post
                        The whole thing is insane. This shutdown is costing billions per day. Just the national parks alone are a big moneymaker for the govt. Plus I'm bummed my hike is cancelled this weekend.

It isn't about compromise. Its about throwing giant temper tantrums. They are acting like non-verbal toddlers. Their parents should be ashamed. And because of their actions the whole country is punished.

The White House should have done a better job of explaining the ACA. I've seen commercials against it but none explaining it. I have researched it and its still pretty confusing.
                        ACA is actually pretty simple to sort out.

You have three options:
                        -Have insurance through your employer
                        -If your employer doesn't offer insurance, or you are self or unemployed you have the option of purchasing insurance via the government that has insanely high premiums and deductibles
                        -Do neither and pay a penalty tax every single year to the tune of several thousand dollars per each uninsured person in your household

The "you're going to do this or else" is what is unconstitutional and it should have NEVER gotten this far.

Think about it like this......the government thinks everyone should buy a car. You have the option to buy a car from a program via your employer, you can buy an over priced car from the government, or if you can choose not to buy a car you're going to be taxed to death and if you can't afford to or choose not to pay that tax they can take your house or even go to jail.

Doesn't that sound just insane??? All over a car????

The current administration is sending the exact same message that we are too stupid to decide what we need in our lives in the way of personal purchases.

It's really that simple. And it's exactly why it's time the people elected to protect our freedom of choice, do so. Even if it's hard and creates national turmoil.

If people didn't fight and simply waited for Lincoln to leave office where would slaves in this country be today? Certainly not free I can tell you that much...... I'm sure the people that lived during Civil War times weren't thrilled with bring pushed into it but they knew the fight was bigger than them. It wasn't just about what was comfortable this week, it was about what was going to be best for the country long term.

Comment

I completely agree, but at what cost? The bullying back by way of government shutdown is not directly affecting those that issued the shutdown. It's drastically affecting the citizens who rely on those in office to act as our voice, though.
                          Protecting freedom from tyranny has always taken sacrifice.

Always.

Comment

I thought You have the option to purchase from a private health insurance too. If everyone is required to be insured, then insurance rates should go down because we have options if where we get our insurance from.

Families that weren't able to afford health insurance can get insurance now. If you don't want to be insured, you have the option to pay the penalty.

As self employed, health insurance was always ridiculously expensive and I'm excited to see what we can get now.

And I loved Michael's comment about letting daycare providers run congress!
                            Last edited by Michael; 10-03-2013, 06:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sahm1225 View Post
                              I thought You have the option to purchase from a private health insurance too. If everyone is required to be insured, then insurance rates should go down because we have options if where we get our insurance from.

Families that weren't able to afford health insurance can get insurance now. If you don't want to be insured, you have the option to pay the penalty.

As self employed, health insurance was always ridiculously expensive and I'm excited to see what we can get now.

And I loved Michael's comment about letting daycare providers run congress!
                              If people couldn't afford private insurance before, what makes you think they'll be able to afford it now? Because the government is telling them they *have* to?

(I want the government to tell me I have to buy a mansion, a new truck and a boat would be great too......because if that's all it takes is an executive order well heck, the money for that stuff is obviously going to start growing on trees then eh?)

The only thing that will be going down is the level of care doctors will be able to provide individual patients.

Just ask Canadians how that works.

Comment

Originally posted by Willow View Post
                                ACA is actually pretty simple to sort out.

You have three options:
                                -Have insurance through your employer
                                -If your employer doesn't offer insurance, or you are self or unemployed you have the option of purchasing insurance via the government that has insanely high premiums and deductibles
                                -Do neither and pay a penalty tax every single year to the tune of several thousand dollars per each uninsured person in your household

The "you're going to do this or else" is what is unconstitutional and it should have NEVER gotten this far.

Think about it like this......the government thinks everyone should buy a car. You have the option to buy a car from a program via your employer, you can buy an over priced car from the government, or if you can choose not to buy a car you're going to be taxed to death and if you can't afford to or choose not to pay that tax they can take your house or even go to jail.

Doesn't that sound just insane??? All over a car????

The current administration is sending the exact same message that we are too stupid to decide what we need in our lives in the way of personal purchases.

It's really that simple. And it's exactly why it's time the people elected to protect our freedom of choice, do so. Even if it's hard and creates national turmoil.

If people didn't fight and simply waited for Lincoln to leave office where would slaves in this country be today? Certainly not free I can tell you that much...... I'm sure the people that lived during Civil War times weren't thrilled with bring pushed into it but they knew the fight was bigger than them. It wasn't just about what was comfortable this week, it was about what was going to be best for the country long term.
                                Although I agree with some of what you say, I think that the problem right now is that the law passed. Democracy occurred and there was a deal that was hammered out and passed the House, the Senate, and was signed by the President. Now the current legislatures have decided they don't like that deal and have decided that instead of trying to change the law using the democratic process, they will not fund it instead and won't approve a budget that does fund it. In addition, there is a majority that will approve a measure to fund the government, but ONE person (Sen Boehner) refuses to bring the budget to the floor to be voted on. That is NOT how the democratic process is supposed to work. That is throwing a temper tantrum because your party agreed to something and now you have decided you don't like that agreement.

Comment

Working...
                                X