No announcement yet.

Injury that Requires Medical Attention

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have to agree with BC. Seems like a staff and supervision issue to me that could have been corrected simply by shadowing this child and redirecting him whenever he tried to pick up or "hug" a child.

Mom, now that the child is gone just make sure to reiterate that supervision at the daycare is essential no matter if they have special needs or not.

Comment

I am a Utah provider (Utah County)

If you have any questions at all about the care your son is receiving, you should contact licensing.

Licensing web site is

You can check the daycare's record, contact the office near you etc..

Comment

Thank you Meeko (and I am very sorry to hear of your recent loss), I was curious to where you were located when I saw you were in Utah.

I contacted licensing the week of the accident. I was offered to file a complaint, which I chose not to do at that time. Licensing had not yet received a report of my son's injury. That reminds me I meant to call again and get a copy of the report once it had been filed --- soooo doing that now! Thanks!

Comment

So this is very interesting.

I called licensing to see about getting a copy of the report, which, if I understand correctly based off of my first phone call needed to be filed within 5 days of the accident (it has now been 30 days).

The person I spoke with told me she would get in touch with "my licensor" whom she also gave me contact information for, but she said that she does not have record of the accident! That person is supposed to return my call tomorrow as she is out doing inspections today.

I've spent my fair share of time working with government agencies and don't put a lot of faith into them for the most part. It is concerning that they do not have record of this though, correct?

Comment

Originally posted by happymom View Post
            So this is very interesting.

I called licensing to see about getting a copy of the report, which, if I understand correctly based off of my first phone call needed to be filed within 5 days of the accident (it has now been 30 days).

The person I spoke with told me she would get in touch with "my licensor" whom she also gave me contact information for, but she said that she does not have record of the accident! That person is supposed to return my call tomorrow as she is out doing inspections today.

I've spent my fair share of time working with government agencies and don't put a lot of faith into them for the most part. It is concerning that they do not have record of this though, correct?
            Reports off injury are supposed to be filed online through the provider portal. I am guessing your center did not do it. Yes..you are right...it should have been done within 5 days. They will be inspected and cited if that is the case.

Comment

What will happen if the daycare gets cited?
              Will my son still be able to go there? Will the staff now hate our family forever?

I still have not put a deposit in for infant care for my second son who is not born yet and if this incident is going to ruin our relationship I don't want to lose out on that money to hold a spot for my new baby.

Comment

What will happen if the daycare gets cited?
                Will my son still be able to go there? Will the staff now hate our family forever?

I still have not put a deposit in for infant care for my second son who is not born yet and if this incident is going to ruin our relationship I don't want to lose out on that money to hold a spot for my new baby.
                I'll be honest- I'm very surprised you would want to continue to send either/both of your children after they failed to notify licensing of such a major event.

Comment

I can see why that is shocking.

Honestly, what is wrong with me? I have such a problem with confrontation. My little son is so so happy there and I really didn't want to bounce him around (I hoped he would be with his home daycare provider forever, but decided to move him since she couldn't take my new baby).

Maybe it is just time to move again.

Comment

I can see why that is shocking.

Honestly, what is wrong with me? I have such a problem with confrontation. My little son is so so happy there and I really didn't want to bounce him around (I hoped he would be with his home daycare provider forever, but decided to move him since she couldn't take my new baby).

Maybe it is just time to move again.
                    I honestly would shop around and wait to see how this plays out before committing.

Accidents happen, and you're so understanding about the entire situation but unreported accidents do not happen to good providers. Many of us (myself included) self report incidents.

Comment

Update:

Licensing did not receive a report from the child care center. The correct person at licensing returned my call just now and told me she would get in touch with the center and get the report.

I shouldn't feel guilty, but I kind of do. Afterall, this was not MY mistake. I took my child to the doctor after he received an injury that he should have been seen for. I did my job as his parent.

I was also told by my child care center that a report had been filed, which it turns out was not the truth. For that, I should be upset. I now want a copy of that report more than I did before. I mostly wanted to make sure that what they told licensing happened was in line with what I was told happened. I don't want to have to "check up" on them.

So now I'm just feeling sad that people don't just follow the rules. It's probably time to start looking for child care..........again.

Comment

Meeko,

Can you please tell me if the portal is new?

Comment

Originally posted by daycarediva View Post
                          I honestly would shop around and wait to see how this plays out before committing.

Accidents happen, and you're so understanding about the entire situation but unreported accidents do not happen to good providers. Many of us (myself included) self report incidents.
                          This.

Although I did once forget to submit one on time when I was the assistant director of a center. But we only have 24 hours in KY and it was late on a Friday. Submitted it on Monday and licensing basically just told us not to do it again.

Comment

So I know that licensing has now made a call to the director who in turn made a call to me.

I don't work in daycare and have only been working with a licensed daycare for 2 months (came from an unlicensed home daycare) so everything I know I have learned from this forum.

Because I took my son to a walk in clinic/urgent care rather than a hospital/ER does that mean that the daycare is not required to report? Daycare says they DID report the incident by faxing it to licensing and licensing says they didn't get it. I guess I misunderstood, I thought the report to licensing was something different than the "ouch report" that I signed and already have a copy of.

My intention is absolutely not to tattle and get anyone in trouble, and my job is not to make sure that my daycare follows the rules. I just want my kids to be safe. Daycare told me that their paperwork is now going to be audited by licensing, but if their paperwork is as good as they claim it is they should have nothing to worry about.

Comment

So I know that licensing has now made a call to the director who in turn made a call to me.

I don't work in daycare and have only been working with a licensed daycare for 2 months (came from an unlicensed home daycare) so everything I know I have learned from this forum.

Because I took my son to a walk in clinic/urgent care rather than a hospital/ER does that mean that the daycare is not required to report? Daycare says they DID report the incident by faxing it to licensing and licensing says they didn't get it. I guess I misunderstood, I thought the report to licensing was something different than the "ouch report" that I signed and already have a copy of.

My intention is absolutely not to tattle and get anyone in trouble, and my job is not to make sure that my daycare follows the rules. I just want my kids to be safe. Daycare told me that their paperwork is now going to be audited by licensing, but if their paperwork is as good as they claim it is they should have nothing to worry about.
                              I am required to report ANY injury that requires medical attention. The worst thing that has ever happened to me was a child was running to his mother at pickup, tripped over the area rug by the front door and chipped his tooth. His mom took him to the dentist, who wanted a crazy amount to fix it. I offered to pay for it, and dcm declined even getting it fixed. It was a tiny chip, purely cosmetic. Dcb was 'chip' for his remaining days here- and as far as I know even though that tooth has long since fallen out and replaced with an adult tooth- he is still Chip.

I filled out an ouch report (minor injuries/sent home with parents). I made an immediate phone call to my registrar and left it on her voicemail. THEN I filled out our states injury report form, scanned and emailed it to licensing. They did come out, go through all of my records, interview my kids and called this dcm to discuss it with her. I wasn't given any citations. I had nothing to hide.

I know the procedures vary by state, but if they self reported like they are supposed to, it wouldn't be surprising to receive a pop in licensing visit/inspection. That seems very standard.

If they did report it, they should have a copy of that report, with a fax/email trail to prove it was sent. They should only be concerned if they didn't report and have been lying to you and/or they have something to hide.

Comment

I am not understanding why the director in turn made a call to you?
                                The issue should be between her and licensing if they really did fax the report in. Also, where is her confirmation that the fax actually went through? I don't buy that they faxed it but licensing didn't get it.
                                I also don't like that they are now telling you that their paperwork will now be audited....that isn't because of YOU or your actions. It's because of THEIR failure to actually do what they are required to do. Actually it's because they allowed a special needs child to be unsupervised. THAT is probably going to come back and bite them MORE than failure to report.
                                I understand your child is happy at the center but considering all the lies and untruths that have been told to you, I'd be questioning everything at this point. I don't know but this whole situation could have been so much worse so I'm happy it wasn't but I am growing more uncomfortable with their methods of practice (both with the kids and with business in general) each time you post an update. I agree, it might just be time to move on.

Comment

Working...
                                X