Injury that Requires Medical Attention

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your son is adorable!

But I am angry for you, and I agree with the others that the are stalling to get their ducks in a row

Comment

Originally posted by happymom View Post
      Update: I learned from a staff member that the child involved in the accident has autism. It makes more sense because when I spoke with my 3 year old regarding the incident he told me that the boy was "mean" and didn't say he was sorry. The staff member told me after it happened and my boy was on the ground being attended to the older child ran away and his behind a door inside the building. It is breaking my heart that it happened.

My stress level is just through the roof right now and my husband wants to call a lawyer if we don't get a phone call from the director today. It has been two days, I am feeling shocked. Even my old DKP reached out to make sure he was okay, I miss her like crazy.

My little guy is just fine though, he probably didn't need any stitches - he would have healed just fine but I had to take him in to rule out concussion because of the way he was acting.

That is even more of a reason the whole situation should not have happened.

Where was the person that was suppose to be supervising the autistic child?
      He should have been MORE supervised for his safety (and others).

Personally, I would call the child care and insist on speaking with the director as you have waited more than long enough...

Comment

Originally posted by Blackcat31 View Post
        That is even more of a reason the whole situation should not have happened.

Where was the person that was suppose to be supervising the autistic child?
        He should have been MORE supervised for his safety (and others).

Personally, I would call the child care and insist on speaking with the director as you have waited more than long enough...
        Yes. It's almost like they hope it will just go away. I understand your sweet son, who is adorable, is "okay," but he, or someone else might not be so fortunate next time. And from your description, what about the emotional damage done to boy who dropped him. From his response, hiding, etc... He feels bad or ashamed and that's unacceptable. He should have more increased supervision than a typically learning child. He shouldn't have the chance to hurt someone else.
        I understand that accidents happen, but in the case of a special needs child, MORE should be done to prevent it. If I were older boys mom I would be livid that he wasn't supervised close enough to prevent this.

Comment

It just makes me really sad. I want everything to work out SO BADLY.

Comment

I spoke with the director this morning. She was there last night but gone by the time we finished getting medical attention.
            I know you said you found out it was the lead teacher vs. the director who was there that night but I'm still shaking my head that this person in charge would leave before your son was finished getting medical attention.

Update: I learned from a staff member that the child involved in the accident has autism. ... The staff member told me after it happened and my boy was on the ground being attended to the older child ran away and his behind a door inside the building. It is breaking my heart that it happened.

My stress level is just through the roof right now and my husband wants to call a lawyer if we don't get a phone call from the director today. It has been two days, I am feeling shocked.
            It seems as though everyone but the person who should be speaking with you is speaking with you. It's crazy to me that the director would not have been on the phone to you shortly after the incident happened. At the very latest, she should have been on the phone to you the very first thing next morning assuming she may not have been notified right away. To wait 2 days or more before contacting you...? That's just unacceptable to me.

Originally posted by Blackcat31 View Post
            I'm stunned at the lack of communication/response you've received from this day care director. If you still haven't heard from her, I think my next step would be to agree with your husband and contact a lawyer. If nothing else, it should get the director's attention. I think I'd be looking for a new day care as well.

Comment

I would be looking for a new place for my child at this point. Accidents happen (even though this one shouldn't have), but their refusal to even discuss it with you is an even bigger issue.

Comment

I agree.

My husband and I agreed we would finish out today and if we don't hear anything by pick up take the next step. That gives about 1 hour more and I will give one last chance if the lead on duty at pick up can get her on the phone for me while I am there today.

I feel I've given an ample amount of time. I LOVE the staff I deal with on a daily basis, it's crappy they have a boss that cares so little. I was "warned" by the assistant director this morning that it is the directors "day off" today but that there was still a chance I would hear from her.

I just get the feeling that she:
                a) is avoiding me so she can get her documents and story straight
                b) doesn't see this as an issue/doesn't care
                c) has zero communication skills

I am trying my very best to see everything from both sides and be understanding and sympathetic, but this is MY CHILD, and I think it's a really big deal. I know it affected all of the staff who was there that day and THEY ALL CARE about my child and how he was doing. I feel like the director just sees him as a number, which is sad to me. I'll update y'all on my saga in the morning.

Comment

I agree.

My husband and I agreed we would finish out today and if we don't hear anything by pick up take the next step. That gives about 1 hour more and I will give one last chance if the lead on duty at pick up can get her on the phone for me while I am there today.

I feel I've given an ample amount of time. I LOVE the staff I deal with on a daily basis, it's crappy they have a boss that cares so little. I was "warned" by the assistant director this morning that it is the directors "day off" today but that there was still a chance I would hear from her.

I just get the feeling that she:
                  a) is avoiding me so she can get her documents and story straight
                  b) doesn't see this as an issue/doesn't care
                  c) has zero communication skills

I am trying my very best to see everything from both sides and be understanding and sympathetic, but this is MY CHILD, and I think it's a really big deal. I know it affected all of the staff who was there that day and THEY ALL CARE about my child and how he was doing. I feel like the director just sees him as a number, which is sad to me. I'll update y'all on my saga in the morning.
                  Have you called licensing? Because if you haven't I would now. Something is wrong in this situation. When a child gets hurt in my care (which is rare and usually fixed with a band aid thank goodness), I document it and discuss it with the parent THAT day. I don't want any parent to ever feel like I am hiding something.

Comment

So I gathered the directors information, made a phone call to her to which she answered and hung up when I said who I was.

I am a sucker for giving people the benefit of the doubt. I am livid right now.

Comment

So I gathered the directors information, made a phone call to her to which she answered and hung up when I said who I was.

I am a sucker for giving people the benefit of the doubt. I am livid right now.
                      Oh HECK no. Is this a one of the large chain centers or a small one?

Comment

You need to contact your licensing agency and file a complaint. There is a reason the Director is avoiding you and it appears she has something to hide. I would also be finding another child care arrangement, and I would not pay any fees associated with not providing notice of termination of care. I would also be finding out who they have liability insurance through and file a claim. If the Director is not speaking to you and you are unable to find out on your own, an attorney will certainly be able to obtain that information for you.

Personally, I wouldn't have tolerated the Director's lack of communication and transparency for nearly as long as you have. You are much more pateint than I

Comment

Originally posted by CoachingForQualityImprovement View Post
                          You need to contact your licensing agency and file a complaint. There is a reason the Director is avoiding you and it appears she has something to hide. I would also be finding another child care arrangement, and I would not pay any fees associated with not providing notice of termination of care. I would also be finding out who they have liability insurance through and file a claim. If the Director is not speaking to you and you are unable to find out on your own, an attorney will certainly be able to obtain that information for you.

Personally, I wouldn't have tolerated the Director's lack of communication and transparency for nearly as long as you have. You are much more pateint than I

Sorry you are going through this. I would pull my child, as well.

Comment

It is a large chain of I think 4 (but maybe 5) centers. They have busses to transport the school aged kids to and from school.

I have called back and left a voicemail and my husband called and left two voicemails and we called all of the other centers looking for her as well.

I called licensing and learned the center has 5 days to report the accident. I did not file a complaint at that time but explained the situation and the lady was very nice.

Comment

I think I would be parked outside her door until she looked me in the eye and explained herself

Comment

Ok a better update.

My husband just got off a long call with the director. She had Tuesday and Wednesday off work because of family in town. While she was notified of the accident, she says she did not understand the magnitude of it and was very sincere and apologetic.

He said he could tell their connection was spotty and she was having problems with her cell phone.

She did state that in the waiver signed it limits the liability of accidents but that this specific accident is out of the norm and it will likely be covered by their insurance and she will work on that end for us.

They spoke about how at the end of the days and beginning of the days that different levels are merged and they still maintain their ratios. I really think this accident was a wake up call for them though.

Anyway, I'm feeling a little bit better. I wish I had spoken to her myself but I trust my husbands judgement and he feela so much better. I will call back next week and make sure the incident was reported with licensing, just to check up.

Comment

Working...
                                X