No announcement yet.

Injury that Requires Medical Attention

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In the future, if you are getting the runaround from a center on the phone, show up in person. They do not want an upset parent at their door while others are dropping off/ picking up. Also, most centers have someone higher up than the director. There is usually a person who owns or operates the center. Find out who this person is and contact them.

Comment

Originally posted by happymom View Post
      Ok a better update.

My husband just got off a long call with the director. She had Tuesday and Wednesday off work because of family in town. While she was notified of the accident, she says she did not understand the magnitude of it and was very sincere and apologetic.

He said he could tell their connection was spotty and she was having problems with her cell phone.

She did state that in the waiver signed it limits the liability of accidents but that this specific accident is out of the norm and it will likely be covered by their insurance and she will work on that end for us.

They spoke about how at the end of the days and beginning of the days that different levels are merged and they still maintain their ratios. I really think this accident was a wake up call for them though.

Anyway, I'm feeling a little bit better. I wish I had spoken to her myself but I trust my husbands judgement and he feela so much better. I will call back next week and make sure the incident was reported with licensing, just to check up.
      Nope, nope nope nope to the bolded part above......... it is NOT legal to have parents sign off on liability and she knows it.
      That's why she said this was out of the norm.

Parents can NOT sign off on liability so that the facility is not limited in their responsibility. Most people don't know that so centers and family child care providers get away with it all the time but it is not okay.

Here is an article about it that will help explain it... I would inform the director too. http://www.tomcopelandblog.com/2014/...otect-you.html

Did she say why she hung up on you earlier?

Comment

I would still be moving my child. The fact she hung up on you is a huge deal. I would still be livid and would be looking for a new place.

Comment

She is the owner as well as the director. Thank you for the links about the liability! That is great to know, I am looking into other options as well.

She said her cell phones coverage was bad

Comment

She is the owner as well as the director. Thank you for the links about the liability! That is great to know, I am looking into other options as well.

She said her cell phones coverage was bad
            That is no excuse. Call her on that one and I bet you she finds another one.

Comment

I agree with the pps. I would also be looking for another center. I am a former center director of a large chain in my state, and dealt with many accidents that lead to injuries needing stitches, etc. Our protocol was always inform our President or if he was out on vacation the person next in command so they could do their thing to inform the company lawyers and insurance company. They were both always reachable 24/7. At the same time I would be filling out and sending in our liability insurance forms to the main office so they could send it to our insurance company. I always spoke to the injured child's parents that day, if I was gone for the day my lead teacher would call me and I would call the parents asap from wherever I was. We were taught never to leave the parents hanging until the next day. We always told the parents if there are medical expenses due to the injury, to let us know and send the bill to the main office. Thankfully the injuries were usually caused by the child themselves, and the parents really trusted us and not one at my center ever asked us to pay their medical expenses even though we offered. The parents were understanding and realized their children were just being kids/clumsy, etc and get hurt. I think it was also because we showed by our actions that we cared about their children, which unfortunately your son's center does not seem to be showing by not speaking to you immediately after the injury.

Comment

Thank you everyone. After a few phone calls with the director yesterday, we are feeling a lot better about the situation and I don't feel like I'll have any problems getting the medical bill paid. There was a co-owner who has recently passed away and it seems there needs to be a second in command person (maybe there is but I don't think the message got through to her as everyone THOUGHT the director was getting their messages and she was not).

I am going to call and get the report that was sent to licensing next week just so I can see it (or maybe it's standard practice the center will give me a copy), but what I saw, what I know, what my son says and what the daycare says happened that day all align.

She has addressed with the staff how to handle an instance of a child lifting another child off the ground. This autisitc child was yelled at to put my child down and got scared and dropped him. They are re-wording their response to be more calm and to say to set him down on his feet. I also think that all of the kids and staff members who were there that day have learned from this example, everyone feels awful.

That said, my "baby" gets his stitches out in 2 days! His head is healing up nicely and looks like it will only leave a tiny scar (if any) as long as I take care to always sunscreen it. He always reminds me to "be careful for his owie" when getting him dressed and undressed, but aside from that I don't think it bothers him much unless I am changing the bandage. I think he likes the attention and to answer questions about how it happened and how he is feeling. It's been a tough week, he's excited to get to go to the swimming pool once his stitches are removed.

Comment

Frequency

You are a patient person and understanding person:hug:. I would be concerned and want a plan of action for the center regarding the rules of playground for the different age groups. Seeing those rules and how they are being enforced would be a part of my plan if I was going to keep my kiddo there. I would also want to know more about how the after school program handles special needs "inclusion". Often some of those children require the attention of a specially trained set of individuals.

Accidents do happen, but this is happening frequently.

Comment

I will let you know what I find out. I'm a little annoyed that I haven't been able to get more information as of yet. I spoke with the assistant director 3 hours ago and she told me the director will be calling me and I have yet to receive that call.

Not sure what standard procedure is, I feel like an idiot I didn't even know who the director of the center was until this happened.
                    I would call the OWNER not the director!!!

Comment

Wow I feel so bad for you and son yes accident s happen but yes this was avoidable if he was with kids his age size.in all my years doing in home daycare the worst injury at my place has been bloody nose for hot weather or falling inside bumping nose on something.last month at the pool in the bathroom I had a little one getting in bathroom shower to warm up as soon as I went to help him pull up his pants he pulled away and try to run (which he no better to run, since I was holding his pants he only got a little bloody lip but I felt so bad , it but it could of been wores like a busted head so I was glad I was sort of holding him. I would freak out if any thing worsed happened here. But im glad your son ok do whatever it takes good luck!

Comment

She has addressed with the staff how to handle an instance of a child lifting another child off the ground. This autisitc child was yelled at to put my child down and got scared and dropped him. They are re-wording their response to be more calm and to say to set him down on his feet.
                        What's their plan to prevent a child from being picked up by another child? I understand that they have a plan now in the instance that a child is picked up, but I'd be interested in what they're doing to prevent it from occurring in the first place.

I realize you can't prevent everything but IMO it needs to be a dual plan. How to prevent it from happening AND what to do if it does happen.

I had a situation where a child on the spectrum began masturbating here (fully clothed but still) and, after I dealt with the immediate issue, I came up with a plan to prevent future occurrences as well as what to do if the child did begin masturbating again.

Prevention is key.
                        Last edited by BumbleBee; 08-16-2015, 08:13 AM. Reason: fixed quote

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
                          I would call the OWNER not the director!!!
                          Where I live an owner would be no help. Thats why they hire the director.
                          The director is the one that is suppose to know the rules and policies and the ins/outs of ECE best practice as well as what is developmentally appropriate for each age group and individulal child. Here an owner just owns the building and physical property.

Comment

In this case the owner and the director are the same person. There is not anything in their policies that says they always keep the levels separated but in a perfect world the levels would never mix. It comes down to staffing and the # of kids.

My son understands that he is not to be picked up and they are definitely keeping a special eye on him now, I do not think he will be picked up by another student again (but really it could have happened with kids his own age as well).

Aside from the accident the center has been so good for him. He is napping for the first time in over a year, he eats well and gets TONS of outdoor time. The added structure after all his years in the in home daycare is very needed and good for him. The staff is great and caring and I feel good that something like this won't happen again.

Comment

I ran into the director at the center on Monday. She was unbelievably nice and enthusiastic about child care and the safety of the kids.

She told me that the family of child who had picked up my son had been asked to leave the center. She told me that he continued to show two behaviors that were unacceptable in the center --one of them being picking up other children.

She explained that he wasn't a mean kid and he wasn't acting maliciously, he just lacked the understanding and liked to give big hugs (which led to feet being off the ground).

Comment

I ran into the director at the center on Monday. She was unbelievably nice and enthusiastic about child care and the safety of the kids.

She told me that the family of child who had picked up my son had been asked to leave the center. She told me that he continued to show two behaviors that were unacceptable in the center --one of them being picking up other children.

She explained that he wasn't a mean kid and he wasn't acting maliciously, he just lacked the understanding and liked to give big hugs (which led to feet being off the ground).
                                Aw, that makes me sad to hear.

Given that he had special needs, I fully believe his actions were the fault and/or responsibility of the staff person in charge of supervising him.

Glad to hear you met the director though and like her.

Comment

Working...
                                X