What Is Your Work Attire?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Is Your Work Attire?

Before I started doing daycare I preached to myself and everyone that I was NOT going to get "schlumpy" being at home everyday...well, I'm eatting my words! I went from a job that I had to dress up everyday so my off days I would "schlump". So I even went wardrobe shopping and bought some nice, casual everyday clothes but what do I tend to pull out every morning?...t-shirts and yoga pants/capris/shorts.
    I want to look presentable to people when they come in the morning cause in the center I worked at it was DRILLED to us to look nice and professional. That parents respected that. But when I have days like yesterday where the spaghetti lunch ended more on ME than the kids and then a child puked on me while rocking him to sleep. I feel like I need another shower after daycare from all the drool the babies slap on me while I'm playing on the floor with them! Just wondering what you wear, what you consider "professional" and if you think parents even care...
    Last edited by Blackcat31; 08-03-2011, 07:09 AM.

I wear either jeans or shorts, t-shirts and tennis shoes, with minimal jewelry. I do wear a bit of makeup and style my hair each morning before everyone arrives. I always look presentable, I guess, but definitely not dressed up .

Comment

mine is whatever i feel like wearing . usually in the winter i wear jeans or sweats (but decent sweats not scrubbies or baggy ones) and in the summer i usually wear shorts or capris. some days i don't even brush my hair because i just clip it up anyway, so i twist and clip most days, and some days i don't even match .

Comment

Comfort trumps appearance every single day here. Jeans/cargo khakis/shorts, T-shirts/long-sleeved T-shirts, tennis shoes. And a bra ::. My hair in a ponytail and I don't wear make-up. No one has ever complained about how I look.
        Hee hee! Look, I have a signature!

Comment

I think my parents expect me to be in comfortable clothing that allows me to get on the floor with the kids and that I won't be upset if the kids mess up a bit. If I dressed all pretty in nice clothes, I think my parents would be conserned that I would be upset with the kids if they got paint on my nice clothes. So I wear blue jean shorts and t-shirts or tank tops most days. When it's colder, I wear either jeans or sweat pants with t-shirts or sweat shirts. No parent has ever made comments or given me weird looks about my attire. I wear what makes me comfortable, allows me to freely move around with my kids, and that I won't get upset about getting paint, food, or baby spit-up on.

If you want, you might try a couple of things to look a bit 'professional' yet comfortable. You can get some daycare shirts made up for your business that have your business name and logo on them. If you think you'd rather wear something other than shorts, buy a specific colored nice shorts, capris, or slacks to wear with your daycare shirt. That could be your 'uniform'. Or you could buy the shirts and slacks like nurses, dentist assistants, veternarian assistants wear.

Comment

I'm a jeans gal. I wear jeans almost every day in the winter or denim capris or shorts in the summer. I'm not really a sweats/yoga pants type of person. I wear mostly tees - some nicer than others but like you they generally end up stained so I don't buy anything expensive to wear - Kohl's brands works well for me!!
            I do shower, do my hair (some days more than others, LOL) and put on makeup every morning - I think that is professional enough. I'm not walking around in my pj's and bunny slippers, LOL!!!

Comment

Summer time: Shorts and tshirts
              Winter time: PJ pants, scrub pants and long sleeved tshirts

I save the jewelry for the weekends. Not worth having a baby pull it and break it....and then try to eat it!

I do some make up, base, powder and blush. I save the eye makeup for when I'm outside the house.

All about comfort and cheap here. I wear things that I won't get upset if the kids ruin it!
              Last edited by SandeeAR; 08-03-2011, 07:53 AM. Reason: make up info

Comment

In cooler weather I wear jeans or pilates pants with athletic shoes

In warmer weather I wear jean/khaki shorts with flip-flops. I'm in southern CA so flip-flops are required footwear, even the 2yo's here are pro's in them.

As shirts I wear tank-tops, cami's or baby-T's depending on how cool or warm the weather is. Nothing really fancy or dressy. I think that the parents know that I need to be comfortable, they also know that we regularly do messy activities and often see me covered in paint, goop etc. I just try to have a lot of solid black pilates pants and I try to get my tops in fun designs like stars, hearts and characters etc. They're meant for the younger crowd and I'm sure I look like a silly 30yo but the kids like that I wear "fun" shirts and other people understand once I explain that I work in childcare ::.

Comment

I have thought before of a "unform" of sorts. I get tired of anything I have getting ruined so I thought of just some plain polo shirts and maybe some khaki's or something. In my other job I can wear scrubs and it has made things so much easier so I am thinking of transfering that to daycare.

Comment

Originally posted by erinalexmom View Post
                    In my other job I can wear scrubs and it has made things so much easier so I am thinking of transfering that to daycare.
                    I have heard of daycare providers using scrubs as uniforms. I think this is a great idea, they even have fun prints with cute characters, bold paterns, crayon prints, handprint prints, stick-figures etc. I was just googling "scrubs" actually

Comment

I like to look nice but I do mix it up some. Nice days include makeup (which I don't like to leave the house without), a nice top/jewelry/pants/jeans/shorts/capris. Dress down days include t-shirt/pants/jeans/shorts/capris.

It's all about changing the top, makeup, and jewelry I guess. Either way I wind up changing due to spit-up, poop, etc so since I'm a girly-girl I usually go for the "nice" no matter what.

Comment

Right now, I'm in my nightgown. I had a rough night and over slept.

Normally, I wear jeans and t-shirts or shorts and t-shirts. I do brush my hair, but never wear make-up.

Comment

The hotter it is, the less I dress. Shorts and a tank top or t-shirt and sandals or flip flops

Winter I wear jeans, sweats, sweaters, turtlenecks, long sleeved shirts, etc.

My mood depends on how I dress. I knew it was gonna be another scorcher today so it's jean shorts and a tank top today.

I dress nice some days, others I dress in lounge-wear. I haven't had any complaints!

Comment

Originally posted by MarinaVanessa View Post
                            I have heard of daycare providers using scrubs as uniforms. I think this is a great idea, they even have fun prints with cute characters, bold paterns, crayon prints, handprint prints, stick-figures etc. I was just googling "scrubs" actually
                            This is me. I ordered cute "kiddie" scrubs online. I love the pockets in them as I go around the house. They are very comfortable. I still do my hair and put on makeup each morning though. No need to terrify the clients.....::

Comment

Jeans, Khackis, t shirts, polos, skirts, dressest, whatever floats my boat!! (I'm also pregnant, so have a very limited wardrome at the moment)

Comment

Working...
                              X