This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How To Start a Daycare

What is involved with starting my own daycare? Are there regulations?

State Standards

Every state has differing standards when starting a daycare. Most require a license but not all depending on the number of children involved.

Please see your state's requirements and contact numbers located at:
    State by state childcare daycare licensing and contact information.

Add your Daycare listing Information to the Daycare.com Registry:
    Last edited by Michael; 05-25-2022, 02:51 PM.

Comment

Daycare Online Starter Kit

I noticed a Daycare Starter Kit on the site. Is it worth purchasing?

Comment

Starter Kit

It is in file format which means it is a file download and there is also a full had copy kit that can be delivered. It has been on the site for several years and many have used it to start their daycare. I believe for the price it is well worth it. You can find it here:
        Last edited by Michael; 05-25-2022, 02:52 PM.

Comment

starting daycare

I have started a daycare center in Oregon. There are various dept that get involved in this process.
          The City Planning Dept to see if the area is Zoned for child care
          The City Building Dept to see if the Building Code needs to be changed
          The Health Dept
          The Fire Dept
          Check the City Planning Dept for what kind of sign you can post
          The Child Care Division in your state.
          Once all of the criteria from these Dept were met, then you can open your doors for business.
          There is the USDA food program that helps pay for some of the food served.
          There are a multitue of website for curriculum and art activities.
          There are some websites of other center or homes that can give you ideas on how to start up your business.
          I am not stating this to deter you from opening, just to give you a perspective of what needs to happen. It can vary from state to state.

The best of luck! It is a fun adventure.

Comment

New

Thanks this was good info

Comment

Opening a Daycare - What to Do

im 28 and i what open up a daycare what r some of the things i need...

Comment

Some Useful Tips Starting a Home Daycare Business

State by state childcare daycare licensing and contact information.

Daycare Insurance:

Earn Part-Time or Full-Time Income Teaching Children Healthy Cooking Skills:

Highlights Books and Curriculum:
                Our magazines for kids help children become their best selves. With Hello, High Five, Highlights, and our newest addition, BrainPLAY, we have children’s magazines for every age!

Add your Daycare listing Information to the Daycare.com Registry:
                Last edited by Michael; 08-19-2015, 12:51 PM.

Comment

starting a daycare in ky

my wife wants to start a daycare in lexington ky and she was wondering how much it cost to get it started without the lease of course. inspections and all

Comment

Kentucky Daycare Licensing Fees - Childcare

The Division of Regulated Child Care is responsible for licensing and investigating complaints against child day care programs, residential child caring facilities and child-placing agencies. The division also is responsible for certifying and investigating complaints against certified family child care homes.

To apply for a license to operate a child day care facility, residential child caring facility, a child-placing agency or a certification for a certified child care home please contact the Division of Regulated Child Care at (502) 564-7962.

Child day care facilities can be licensed as either Type I facilities or Type II facilities. If care is provided in a dwelling for 13 or more children or in a non-dwelling for four or more children, the facility is a Type I. If care is provided in a dwelling (which is your home) for up to 12 children, the facility is considered a Type II. The fee for initial licensing for both Type I and Type II facilities is $50. The annual license renewal fee is $25.

The licensing fee for residential child caring and child-placing facilities is $100 for initial licensing and $50 for the annual renewal.
                    The certification fee for a certified family child care home is $10.

The regional offices of the Division of Regulated Child Care are responsible for conducting on-site visits of all licensed child care facilities and certified homes in the state to determine compliance with applicable licensing and certification regulations. Complaints concerning these facilities and certified homes are investigated by regional office staff.

Comment

what certificates and training do you need to open a daycare? do you need a degree in early childhood? cda? 40 hrs? directors license?

Comment

State Requirements for Daycare

https://www.daycare.com/states.html

Comment

starting my own day care

Originally posted by Interested
                          What is involved with starting my own daycare? Are there regulations?
                          I am interested in starting my own day care in westbury/new york, can you please tell me some of the things I need to know

Comment

I'm a 16 year old Female who lives in Florida. I am currently a Junior in High School and have decided to be a childcare provider after school. I want to open my own daycare facility, but have no idea where to start. I have taken Early Child Development in school and am currently in level 2-3 which is mostly assisting in running the preschool on grounds. In level 1 I took the Florida state tests for Pre-school Appropriate Practices, Behavioral Observation and Screening, Child Growth and Development, Identifying and Reporting Child Abuse and Neglect, Health Safety and Nutrition, and Child Care Facility Rules and Regulations. I passed them all and have the certificates. Soon I will be taking the Infant/Toddler test to get certified for those ages as well. I am starting to look for a job in a local child care facility. What do I need to do to start my own daycare and are there any other certificates or classes that I need to take? Thanks for you help.

Comment

Info is all good, but...

Hi All,

I'm happy I encountered this forum. Thanks to all for the great info. I am planning on starting a daycare as well (in South NJ). Almost all of the resources I've looked at pretty much say the same thing... read the licensing requirements of the state first. But what seems to be missing for me is the fact that like in NJ, the first thing the licensing agency requires you to do is to find a location and then get a certificate of occupancy from that location.

How do you do that? If you need to find a location first, does that mean I need to:

1. Find a location
                              2. Have it inspected if it is feasible to be a daycare center
                              3. Talk to the municipal zoning board to see if it's zoned for childcare. if not, try to meet the requirements to get the zoning class you need.
                              4. To get the zone class changed, you'd need to hire an architect to design a plan for your daycare. The plan should meet all state regulation requirements.
                              5. Once you have an architectural plan, do you submit that first to the licensing board to get it approved, or do you go to the municipal board to get it approved?
                              6. While all of these are happening, will the landlord be patient enough to let you do all of this? I'm assuming there will be a clause in the lease contract that committing to the lease is dependent on whether a license will be issued by the state.

These are what I've understood as what needs to be done to even get to a point of getting the state to look into your request to get a license. Am I missing anything or have made some incorrect assumptions?

I hope those who have successfully opened a commercial daycare center can provide some insights.

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X