2019 Hot Car Deaths

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Those are really neat.

A boy scout (I believe the story was) working on his Eagle Scout, came up with a long piece of yarn. One end tied to the car seat, then other to a rubber bracelet. One the driver is seated, they put the bracelet on, they can't get out without taking it off.
    - Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.

Comment

There are so many ways to make sure you don't forget a child. Problem is, most people know they would never forget their child and don't need any ideas, until the day they do forget.
      Children are little angels, even when they are little devils.
      They are also our future.

Comment

11, now. 11.

11 6/8/2019 Butler County, KS 86 Girl 3 mo
        10 6/2/2019 Calverton Park, MO 79 Joseline Eichelberger 11 mo
        9 5/22/2019 Blytheville, SC 88 Zion Akinrefon 4 yr
        8 5/22/2019 Jacksonville, FL 95 Brooklyn Isaac 4 mo
        7 5/11/2019 Lake Havasu, AZ 85 Malia Mae Martin 18 mo
        6 5/6/2019 Lakewood Township, NJ 69 Girl 21 mo
        5 5/4/2019 St. Paul, MN 71 Riley Taylor 4 yr
        4 5/2/2019 Boomer, NC 82 Kaiden Logan 9 mo
        3 4/22/2019 Glendale, AZ 86 Girl 18 mo
        2 4/10/2019 Perdido Key, FL 81 Joy Monell-Merritt 2 yrs
        1 4/4/2019 Melbourne, FL 79 Richard Wighart 14 mos
        - Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.

Comment

9. "Zion was in town visiting family members when his family started searching for him after his mother noticed he was not present, a news release said. He was later found unresponsive by his mother in the back of the family’s car around 5 p.m.

Zion was last seen watching TV before his mother noticed he was missing; the family believes he walked out of the side door of the home and got into the family’s SUV, accidentally got locked inside, and passed out of heatstroke." - https://www.wistv.com/2019/05/24/yea...-coroner-says/

10. "Matthew Eichelberger, 27, and Candace Rucker, 24, were charged with second-degree involuntary manslaughter in connection to the death of their 11-month old daughter, Joseline Eichelberger.

Her body was found about 4:30 p.m. Sunday, June 2, at the family's home in the 100 block of Anistasia Drive. The infant was left in the car for at least 12 hours and died from the excessive heat, court documents allege." - https://www.stltoday.com/news/local/...c1eeaf9a6.html

11. "Investigators learned that the mother had returned home from a baby shower around 12:30 p.m. and left the child in the car.

"She had commented that she had been very tired. She'd been up some of the night before off and on. Don't know if it was with children or for what reason, but she felt like she needed a nap. She laid down about 12:30 p.m. and slept 'til about 4 o'clock," he said.

Herzet said the couple had six children, five of whom were adopted, ranging in age from three-months-old to 13-years-old." - http://www.kake.com/story/40614884/i...-butler-county

Comment

13, now.

13. 6/22/2019 Galveston, TX 92 Unknown 1 yr - "A baby died in Galveston Saturday morning after being left in a car outside a restaurant, according to our NBC affiliate KPRC.

Officials say the boy’s parents worked over five hours at the restaurant and found the boy unresponsive after their shift, but still alive.

The child was rushed to the hospital, but was pronounced dead upon arrival.

The temperature in Galveston on Saturday was over 90 degrees." - https://www.easttexasmatters.com/cri...ft-in-hot-car/

12. 6/20/2019 Providence Village, TX 98 Kaysen Neyland 4 yr - "A 4-year-old child found in a hot vehicle Thursday in Providence Village has died, Aubrey police said Saturday.

The child was found unresponsive by family members inside a vehicle in the 10000 block of Franklin Drive on Thursday afternoon. Aubrey police said they don’t know how long the child was in the vehicle.

Aubrey Police Chief Charles Kreidler said they didn’t want to release the name or gender of the child out of concern for the family. However, KTVT-TV (Channel 11) identified the child as a 4-year-old boy named Kaysen Neyland."

Comment

These just break my heart, I cannot ever imagine forgetting my own child. The negligence. Having dealt with parents for the past 14 years though I can see HOW this happens

Comment

This baby was saved!

But seriously, what WAS she thinking??

Comment

16, now.

16. 6/30/2019 Sioux City, IA 98 Girl 16 mo

15. 6/27/2019 Morristown, TN 90 Boy 3 yr

14. 6/22/2019 Galveston, TX 92 Ryan Peña 18 mo

13. 6/21/2019 Bardwell, TX 94 Mia Villegas 11 mo

12. 6/20/2019 Providence Village, TX 98 Kaysen Neyland 4 yr

11. 6/8/2019 Butler County, KS 86 Girl 3 mo

10. 6/2/2019 Calverton Park, MO 79 Joseline Eichelberger 11 mo

9. 5/22/2019 Blytheville, SC 88 Zion Akinrefon 4 yr

8. 5/22/2019 Jacksonville, FL 95 Brooklyn Isaac 4 mo

7. 5/11/2019 Lake Havasu, AZ 85 Malia Mae Martin 18 mo

6. 5/6/2019 Lakewood Township, NJ 69 Girl 21 mo

5. 5/4/2019 St. Paul, MN 71 Riley Taylor 4 yr

4. 5/2/2019 Boomer, NC 82 Kaiden Logan 9 mo

3. 4/22/2019 Glendale, AZ 86 Girl 18 mo

2. 4/10/2019 Perdido Key, FL 81 Joy Monell-Merritt 2 yrs

1. 4/4/2019 Melbourne, FL 79 Richard Wighart 14 mos

Comment

Ellis County authorities are investigating after an 11-month-old baby girl died in a hot car last Friday.

A family member called deputies about 5:15 p.m. to the 500 block of Elm Street in the town of Bardwell about an unresponsive child.

13. "When authorities arrived, the girl was not breathing. Deputies began performing CPR until paramedics arrived. Medical staff eventually ceased CPR and declared the child dead.

She was taken to the Dallas County medical examiner's office for an autopsy, authorities said. The child was identified as Mia Villegas, who died of hyperthermia, according to the Ennis Daily News.

Authorities didn't say how long the girl was left inside the vehicle." - https://www.dallasnews.com/news/elli...uthorities-say

15. "Morristown police discovered a three-year-old boy dead in a minivan Thursday after responding to a report of a missing child.

Officers were dispatched to a residence on the 2400 block of Fairview Road around 10 p.m. Thursday to investigate the disappearance of the toddler who had not been seen since around 4 p.m.

Officers found the child dead in a minivan parked in the driveway. Police say the van appears to have not been driven in some time and the child climbed into the van himself.

Morristown police say it appears to have been a miscommunication between the boy’s grandmother and parents. The parents work night shift and went to bed at 4 p.m. and the grandmother thought the child was with them taking a nap.

The boy’s parents left for work shortly before police were called and thought the child was with the grandmother. The grandmother called the parents when she was putting the kids to bed and couldn’t find the 3-year-old. The parents then called police.

Officers say it took around 15 minutes to find the boy and believe the passenger door was unlocked, not the sliding door. They believe the child got in through the passenger door and couldn’t get back out.

The police department at this time is calling it a tragic accident." - https://www.wkrn.com/news/tennessee-...tennessee-van/

16. "A 16-month-old girl died Sunday after police say she was left in a vehicle parked on the city's west side. According to a press release from the Sioux City Police Department, at around 3:58 p.m. Sunday, officers were called to the 1400 block of Rebecca Street for an unconscious child. The girl was left in the vehicle unattended.

The child was taken to UnityPoint Health-St. Luke's, where she was pronounced dead.

The Sioux City Police Department is investigating the incident." - https://siouxcityjournal.com/news/lo...2ae42ba86.html

Comment

21 7/16/2019 Richmond, VA 93 Girl 10 mo
                      20 7/11/2019 Smyrna, TN 93 Daylin Palmer 3 yr
                      19 7/9/2019 Evansville, IN 90 Oliver Dill 3 yr
                      18 7/2/2019 Denton, TX 93 Sarbesh Gurung 2 yr
                      17 6/30/2019 Sioux City, IA 98 Girl 16 mo
                      16 6/28/2019 Dothan, AL 93 Castiel King 2 yr
                      15 6/27/2019 Morristown, TN 90 Boy 3 yr
                      14 6/22/2019 Galveston, TX 92 Ryan Peña 18 mo
                      13 6/21/2019 Bardwell, TX 94 Mia Villegas 11 mo
                      12 6/20/2019 Providence Village, TX 98 Kaysen Neyland 4 yr
                      11 6/8/2019 Butler County, KS 86 Girl 3 mo
                      10 6/2/2019 Calverton Park, MO 79 Joseline Eichelberger 11 mo
                      9 5/22/2019 Blytheville, SC 88 Zion Akinrefon 4 yr
                      8 5/22/2019 Jacksonville, FL 95 Brooklyn Isaac 4 mo
                      7 5/11/2019 Lake Havasu, AZ 85 Malia Mae Martin 18 mo
                      6 5/6/2019 Lakewood Township, NJ 69 Girl 21 mo
                      5 5/4/2019 St. Paul, MN 71 Riley Taylor 4 yr
                      4 5/2/2019 Boomer, NC 82 Kaiden Logan 9 mo
                      3 4/22/2019 Glendale, AZ 86 Girl 18 mo
                      2 4/10/2019 Perdido Key, FL 81 Joy Monell-Merritt 2 yrs
                      1 4/4/2019 Melbourne, FL 79 Richard Wighart 14 mos

Comment

I have a DC family that does NOT communicate with me about attendance. DCD works a construction job so if it's rainy he doesn't work and usually keeps DCK. This happens regularly. I have discussed the importance of communication with them several times to no avail.

Yesterday about 10-15 minutes prior to closing, I am outside picking up the playground toys when DCM pulls up. She enters the yard and looks around and says "Oh is DCK inside?" I am like :confused: and said "No, DCK was a no show today." DCM says "No one called or texted you?"

Nope.

For a few loooooong seconds I thought to myself "Oh my Lord! What if DCK is in the car!!!!!! "
                        Like everywhere across the country it's been seriously HOT outside.

They weren't (DCK was safe at home) but seriously....this is exactly how this stuff happens.... two parents that live together do NOT communicate with me or each other ALL day long.

Shameful and sad considering the methods of communication abundant today.
                        Scared the bejeezus out out of me.

Comment

With the temps in AZ right now a kid wouldn’t last 10 minutes.

Makes you wonder how many animals die this way

Comment

Originally posted by Blackcat31 View Post
                            I have a DC family that does NOT communicate with me about attendance. DCD works a construction job so if it's rainy he doesn't work and usually keeps DCK. This happens regularly. I have discussed the importance of communication with them several times to no avail.

Yesterday about 10-15 minutes prior to closing, I am outside picking up the playground toys when DCM pulls up. She enters the yard and looks around and says "Oh is DCK inside?" I am like :confused: and said "No, DCK was a no show today." DCM says "No one called or texted you?"

Nope.

For a few loooooong seconds I thought to myself "Oh my Lord! What if DCK is in the car!!!!!! "

They weren't (DCK was safe at home) but seriously....this is exactly how this stuff happens.... two parents that live together do NOT communicate with me or each other ALL day long.

Shameful and sad considering the methods of communication abundant today.
                            Scared the bejeezus out out of me.

This kind of reminds me of something that happened in a town close by a couple years ago.

The mom forgot to drop off her 4 month old son at daycare and went to work, leaving him in his seat the entire day. She left work at 6 and realized what she had done. He had already passed away, unfortunately.

It got me thinking, as daycare providers, should we communicate with parents when their child is a no-show?

Just a quick text "Hey, will so and so be at daycare today?"

In no way do I think a daycare is responsible for a parent's lack of communication! Just my first thought when I heard this story was if the daycare would've gotten ahold of her when she didn't show up (and if they were expecting the child that day), things probably would've ended differently.

Like I said, in NO WAY do I feel a daycare is ever responsible. It's just something that is in my mind if I have a child later than expected, should I text and see if they will be here today?

Such sad stories.

Comment

Originally posted by CountryRoads View Post
                              This kind of reminds me of something that happened in a town close by a couple years ago.

The mom forgot to drop off her 4 month old son at daycare and went to work, leaving him in his seat the entire day. She left work at 6 and realized what she had done. He had already passed away, unfortunately.

It got me thinking, as daycare providers, should we communicate with parents when their child is a no-show?

In no way do I think a daycare is responsible for a parent's lack of communication! Just my first thought when I heard this story was if the daycare would've gotten ahold of her when she didn't show up (and if they were expecting the child that day), things probably would've ended differently.

Like I said, in NO WAY do I feel a daycare is ever responsible. It's just something that is in my mind if I have a child later than expected, should I text and see if they will be here today?

Such sad stories.
                              There is actually a lengthy thread where we discussed this very thing. Seemed to be split 50/50 and I can see both sides, especially not wanting that level of responsibility on top of everything else.

Personally if a family doesn’t show up I text but mostly its to know if they are coming or not because once I am outside I cannot hear the door so I instruct them to come to the gate etc.

Comment

Originally posted by CountryRoads View Post

Such sad stories.
                                That is a hot topic of debate for sure!

Taking on the responsibility of calling No shows also includes taking on the liability too.

What happens if you forget to call/text because you are busy with other kids in care and a child does get left in a car. Guess who the finger gets pointed at?

I think it's a moral and ethical dilemma that has a solution but one that hasn't been enacted yet.

I'd like to see daycare's call as a courtesy because I DO believe it could make a difference but I also think the public needs to understand that we already have our hands full with child that ARE present so if we did forget or be in the situation where we weren't able to call that we (providers/child cares) were immune to any type of responsibility. Kind of like the good Samaritan law.

Here are some other threads about hot car deaths.... in many of them we've had some really good conversations about daycare providers calling or not calling.

Comment

Working...
                                X