No announcement yet.

2019 Hot Car Deaths

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here is a really cool site for those wanting to do something to stop these tragic and preventable deaths.

Comment

6, now.
      • 6. 5/6/2019 Lakewood Township, NJ 69 Girl 21 mo
      • 5. 5/4/2019 St. Paul, MN 71 Riley Taylor 4 yr
      • 4. 5/2/2019 Boomer, NC 82 Kaiden Logan 9 mo
      • 3. 4/22/2019 Glendale, AZ 86 Girl 18 mo
      • 2. 4/10/2019 Perdido Key, FL 81 Joy Monell-Merritt 2 yrs
      • 1. 4/4/2019 Melbourne, FL 79 Richard Wighart 14 mos

"The toddler’s mother attempted to take the girl into a daycare, but she didn’t want to go in before they drove home, the report said.

A source then told the outlet that there was some miscommunication about whether the mother or father would take the girl from the vehicle.

Mayor Meir Lichtenstein said warm temperatures contributed to this girl’s death. “It seems like wonderful parents. They have one other child that is approximately 4 1/2 years old that is also a girl, and they are very saddened,” Lakewood Mayor Meir Lichtenstein told CBS New York. “I was actually at the hospital and I saw the parents. They’re extremely saddened by what happened.”

On May 6, they were in the 70s in the area. On a 70-degree Fahrenheit day, temperatures inside a car can get into the 90s in short while. In 30 minutes, it can reach 100 degrees, NBC noted." - https://www.theepochtimes.com/toddle...s_2910391.html
      - Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.

Comment

Thankfully no deaths and a very smart toddler were involved but come on????? SIX kids, ages 2-4, left in a car alone while the person went into a mall??? No reason on earth says that's okay.

Comment

Originally posted by Cat Herder View Post
          The child never made it to the babysitter's house, if there was one. Notice the word *new*. He died in the parking lot, in a hot car, at his mother's place of employment.
          Exactly she wanted to try and blame someone else which is really awful.

Comment

7, now.

7. 5/11/2019 Lake Havasu, AZ 85 Malia Mae Martin 18 mo

"A northwest Arizona man was arrested over the weekend after a baby girl who was left in a hot car died.

Lake Havasu City police say 23-year-old Ty Martin was taken into custody on a manslaughter charge Saturday.

Police say Martin left his infant unattended in a car for 45 minutes to an hour while he went to visit a friend, according to a news release. While investigating the death, police searched the home of 23-year-old Noah Grabowski, the friend Martin was visiting. Inside, police say investigators found marijuana plants and other related items. Grabowski faces charges of possession of drug paraphernalia, possession of marijuana and cultivation of marijuana." - https://www.abc15.com/news/crime/lak...ies-in-hot-car

And the one in Canada that Jupadia posted -

“A 16-month-old boy is dead after being left in a hot car in Burnaby on Thursday. As with any tragedy like this, I can’t imagine how the parents are coping. As a parent myself I can’t imagine how I would cope. So we have provided victim services, they are surrounded by friends and family,” she said.

** Not just no charges, the parents are viewed as the victims.
            - Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Josiegirl View Post
              https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime...z&ocid=SK2ADHP

Thankfully no deaths and a very smart toddler were involved but come on????? SIX kids, ages 2-4, left in a car alone while the person went into a mall??? No reason on earth says that's okay.
              I just read that one. 7 kids, total, one carseat. Only two were hers. I'd be curious to know if she is a family childcare provider out running errands? I will be watching this one.

"A woman is accused of leaving seven children, ages 2 to 4, in a hot car outside a Maryland shopping center last week, authorities said.

According to the Charles County Sheriff's Office, one of the children called 911 from the car shortly after 1 p.m. Friday.

The boy told dispatchers that "he and six other children were inside a car unattended and hot," the Sheriff's Office said in a news release. Deputies arrived to find the children inside the unlocked car with the windows up and the engine turned off, WJLA-TV reported. Only one car seat was in the vehicle, authorities said.

The car's driver, the 37-year-old mother of two of the children, returned to the vehicle about 10 minutes after authorities found and treated the kids, the Sheriff's Office said. Deputies said she had been gone for at least 20 minutes.

Authorities charged the woman, whose name was not released, with confinement of children inside a motor vehicle. She could face more charges, as well, the Sheriff's Office said."

Comment

She was a family childcare provider.

A 37-year-old woman is charged after leaving seven children — two of her own and five she was baby-sitting — locked inside a parked car in Charles County, Maryland, while she went shopping. - https://wtop.com/charles-county/2019...hile-shopping/

Comment

Another public rescue lovethis

"New cellphone video Channel 2 Action News obtained shows a pair of shoppers rescuing a toddler from a hot car in Smyrna. The women are locksmiths who were in the right place at the right time. The rescue happened last Friday when the boy's mother went inside a Target to pick up some medication, officials said.

Police said the child was in his car seat all alone with his window cracked, but the air conditioning was not on. He was seen crying and sweating profusely, with his nose dripping. With no time to spare, Edaya Allison recorded the rescue on her cellphone. The woman seen in the video opening the car door is her sister, Lilach Butler. Butler said another shopper initially waved the sisters down after noticing the toddler in the hot car. "Everything happened for a reason because if I wasn’t standing at that door, she wouldn’t have called me," Butler said. In the video, the women say it was more than 80 degrees outside at the time. Less than a minute later, Butler got the door open. The sisters own a local locksmith business.

"The baby held on to me as if I was his mother," Allison said.

Allison said she called 911 and the mother came out about 10 minutes later.

The Target on Cobb Parkway is in Marietta’s jurisdiction and despite leaving the child in the hot car, police did not charge the mother.

A spokesman said the case is still open and investigators are reviewing the facts to make sure the safety of the child is protected.

"I was shaking. I was in tears because I just couldn’t believe some woman would let this happen to their child," Allison said.

Paramedics checked on the boy and gave him water. He's doing OK.

The rescuers believe he was by himself for at least 15 minutes." - https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/rig...QitmfF8DXoKu0U

Comment

She was a family childcare provider.

A 37-year-old woman is charged after leaving seven children — two of her own and five she was baby-sitting — locked inside a parked car in Charles County, Maryland, while she went shopping. - https://wtop.com/charles-county/2019...hile-shopping/
                    I'm sure that 4 year old is actually the child care provider most of the time I am so proud of him for knowing he should call the police and how to do it.

Also, I read in another version of the story she had 7 kids under 5 in a sedan and only 1 car seat. Which means the kids were not restrained, some had to be in the front seat in addition to leaving them in a hot car. She's going to get the book thrown at her.

Comment

Originally posted by Hunni Bee View Post
                      She's going to get the book thrown at her.
                      I hope so! How could anyone think that was okay? TG for that little boy knowing what to do!

Comment

And the one in Canada that Jupadia posted -

“A 16-month-old boy is dead after being left in a hot car in Burnaby on Thursday. As with any tragedy like this, I can’t imagine how the parents are coping. As a parent myself I can’t imagine how I would cope. So we have provided victim services, they are surrounded by friends and family,” she said.

** Not just no charges, the parents are viewed as the victims.
                        I think we are still in the “this was a total accident” phase here in Canada.

Comment

An infant left the car seat in a childcare facility van for 4 hours in Tallahassee. The daycare facility uses the van to pick up some children in the morning, and it was a day care worker's responsibility to make sure all children were out of the van. Temperatures in the area reached as high as 92 degrees. Terrible for the parents: https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/22/us/in...rnd/index.html

Comment

We are up to 8, now.

8. 5/22/2019 Jacksonville, FL 95 Girl 5 mo
                            7. 5/11/2019 Lake Havasu, AZ 85 Malia Mae Martin 18 mo
                            6. 5/6/2019 Lakewood Township, NJ 69 Girl 21 mo
                            5. 5/4/2019 St. Paul, MN 71 Riley Taylor 4 yr
                            4. 5/2/2019 Boomer, NC 82 Kaiden Logan 9 mo
                            3. 4/22/2019 Glendale, AZ 86 Girl 18 mo
                            2. 4/10/2019 Perdido Key, FL 81 Joy Monell-Merritt 2 yrs
                            1. 4/4/2019 Melbourne, FL 79 Richard Wighart 14 mos

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                              An infant left the car seat in a childcare facility van for 4 hours in Tallahassee. The daycare facility uses the van to pick up some children in the morning, and it was a day care worker's responsibility to make sure all children were out of the van. Temperatures in the area reached as high as 92 degrees. Terrible for the parents: https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/22/us/in...rnd/index.html
                              Heartbreaking.

This is one of the main reasons my state does not want us to transport and makes it almost impossible to meet the regs to be able to.

Comment

Technology Which Helps to Prevent Hot Car Deaths

4 technologies designed to prevent Hot Car Deaths: https://abcnews.go.com/US/technologi...ry?id=47991074

https://www.evenflo.com/sensorsafe/sensorsafe.html is a technology found in some car seats from the brand Evenflo. There is a receiver that goes into your car’s diagnostics port, a socket located inside a vehicle that accesses various vehicle subsystems where small receivers can be installed to tap into a car's computer system. That receiver communicates with the car seat's smart chest clip – letting the driver know through a series of chimes whether a child is still in the seat after the car is turned off.

Waze, a popular traffic app, has a setting that will remind a driver to check his or her back seat when a destination entered into the app is reached. But it won’t alert a driver during an impromptu stop. As Faris pulled into the driveway for her Waze destination, she received an alert before she turned off the car: "Check your car before you leave."

Driver’s Little Helper Sensor System is a sensor system sold at several major retailers that can be put in a car seat. The sensor goes under the car seat padding where the child sits. The sensor is then attached to a battery pack and synced with an app. You can set when you want the app to send you notifications after you stop the car. You can set the interval for when you receive the notification -- the fastest being a minute.

General Motor's Rear Seat Reminder System: This feature in some GM cars uses back door sensors that become activated when either the rear door is opened or closed within 10 minutes of the vehicle being started, or while the vehicle is running. Under these circumstances, when you reach your destination a reminder appears on the dashboard as well as an audible chime notification. When Faris opened the rear door before starting the car and then turned off the car, this reminder popped up on the dashboard: "Rear Seat Reminder. Look In Rear Seat."
                                Last edited by Michael; 05-22-2019, 11:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X