Tricked? Into Taking Special Needs Kiddo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by littlefriends View Post
    I haven’t been doing this long enough to have had to terminate anyone yet. I’ve had wonderful families so far, luckily. I have been giving her late pick up fee notices and I’ve been writing down times on my calendar. She tries to be sneaky and write what she wants on my sign in/out sheets.
    You need to terminate asap. If her child hasn't been diagnosed as special needs and she isn't following your rules or respecting you she needs to go! I would give her a warning that if she is late again you have to let her go. Get it in writing with her signature. Once she is late again, let her go.

Comment

Originally posted by LysesKids View Post
      Darlin' it's time to have a digital clock by the sign out sheet; My clock says you are late, regardless what you want to put & My sheet is right at the front door in my living room; no parent goes in or out without me knowing the time. I even found a way to get a sign in/out online... a parent can't change times on that software
      Ugh I feel like a doofus sometimes, , I read things on here and want to kick myself for not knowing this or that! I am fishing out an extra digital clock as I write this, Thank you!!

Comment

Ugh I feel like a doofus sometimes, , I read things on here and want to kick myself for not knowing this or that! I am fishing out an extra digital clock as I write this, Thank you!!
        Don't feel bad... it took a few years for me to get the idea thru my head; now it's just normal

Comment

This may seem like a simple, or stupid question......but what if the child has significant issues and you are just plain scared of caring for them? Do you HAVE to care for a child even if it makes you a nervous wreck to do so? I know these laws are there for a reason, I'm just kind of confused I guess. If a provider is nervous of taking care of a special needs child, but you can't discriminate, do you just have no choice?

Comment

Other ways to handle late pick ups is to switch the pen to a different ink color the moment they are late or highlight the sign out box the moment they are late. Both of these ways will get their attention as the try to write down the wrong time.
            I dealt with a family that would put the same time every day (example pick up for them was by 5, every day they wrote 5 even when they arrived at 455 or 450......) So when they came late and the box was highlghted, they stopped and looked at the clock.

Comment

Originally posted by 284878 View Post
              Other ways to handle late pick ups is to switch the pen to a different ink color the moment they are late or highlight the sign out box the moment they are late. Both of these ways will get their attention as the try to write down the wrong time.
              I dealt with a family that would put the same time every day (example pick up for them was by 5, every day they wrote 5 even when they arrived at 455 or 450......) So when they came late and the box was highlghted, they stopped and looked at the clock.
              Yep, I switch pens too... it really makes them stop in their tracks the first time they try to lie about being late

Comment

I use a highlighter..... at pick up time exactly I highlight the line in bright yellow..... so they sign knowing that we both know they are late.

I also use a highlighter when they forget to sign in.

Comment

I change sign out sheets.

Once their pick up time arrives and I see they are late, I take the clipboard with the regular sign in/out sheet and replace it with the "late" sign in/out which is printed in red,.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackcat31 View Post
                    I change sign out sheets.

Once their pick up time arrives and I see they are late, I take the clipboard with the regular sign in/out sheet and replace it with the "late" sign in/out which is printed in red,.
                    OOOOOH stealing

Comment

Originally posted by Pestle View Post
                      OOOOOH stealing
                      Yep... because changing pens doesn't always work

Comment

Originally posted by LysesKids View Post
                        Yep... because changing pens doesn't always work
                        Yep, cause I have a current family that uses their own pen. I can tell when they do because it a different color than I have available. But both parents keep a pen in the pocket because of the jobs.
                        I prefer the highlight because of this and the way my sign in sheet is set up it wouldn't work to switch it out with out changing the format.

Comment

Originally posted by Lovisa View Post
                          This may seem like a simple, or stupid question......but what if the child has significant issues and you are just plain scared of caring for them? Do you HAVE to care for a child even if it makes you a nervous wreck to do so? I know these laws are there for a reason, I'm just kind of confused I guess. If a provider is nervous of taking care of a special needs child, but you can't discriminate, do you just have no choice?
                          I’m wondering this as well. It sounds like that’s the case...

Comment

Yep, cause I have a current family that uses their own pen. I can tell when they do because it a different color than I have available. But both parents keep a pen in the pocket because of the jobs.
                            I prefer the highlight because of this and the way my sign in sheet is set up it wouldn't work to switch it out with out changing the format.
                            Yes, I couldn’t switch out sheets easily but using highlighter would help. Do you use different colors for different things, like yellow for forgetting to sign and pink for late? Or just yellow for everything?

Comment

Originally posted by Pestle View Post
                              OOOOOH stealing
                              This is my late pick up sheet.

Yes, I couldn’t switch out sheets easily but using highlighter would help. Do you use different colors for different things, like yellow for forgetting to sign and pink for late? Or just yellow for everything?
                              You can use yellow high lighter to highlight the box they are suppose to enter their times into.
                              As for time accuracy, I tell parents to go by their cell phone clocks....everyone's is the same time ...and parents are rarely without their phones.

I don't indicate in anyway someone forgetting to sign in/out. I just remind them at pick up they forgot to sign in and tell them "Hey, Cheryl, you forgot to sign Billy into daycare this morning. You arrived at 8:15 so can you enter the times now please? Thank you!"

I know a provider that does all the time entering herself and then just hands the clip board to the parent to sign.
                              That way the provider is the one looking at the actual time.

Comment

Originally posted by CityGarden View Post
                                I use a highlighter..... at pick up time exactly I highlight the line in bright yellow..... so they sign knowing that we both know they are late.

I also use a highlighter when they forget to sign in.
                                I use a highlighter also. As soon as their pick-up time passes I highlight the space for the day's signature.

I use separate monthly sign-in sheets for each child so this works better for me.

Also I have a keyless entry system and each parent gets their own code that only works during their scheduled daycare hours so if they are 1 minute late they're locked out and have to knock, plus I have nest so they get video recorded walking up and their photo taken when they ring the doorbell. If I forget to highlight their line I'm reminded when they have to knock and I make sure to do that before I answer the door. Good luck trying to argue with me about whether they were late or not ::::.

Comment

Working...
                                X