Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

she claimed that it looked too similar to hers, so i changed it. the title page doesn't matter to me what's on it.

Comment

Originally posted by trix23 View Post
      If you guys wanted to see my Handbook, should've just asked... would've had no issue uploading it.
      I don't want to start a fight but I know you've posted about struggling to get clients and to keep them. I would maybe take a look at some of your policies that might be scaring some people off. All of the mention of fees might be scaring some of them off.

A couple things that would be red flags for me:

Flat out telling parents they aren't allowed to pick up their own children for a 3.5 hr long period would not sit well with me. I understand it's not convienient but I would never withhold a parent from their child.

Having to wait for you to come answer the door would make me feel like my provider was trying to hide something. I get that you might not have the luxury of living in an area such as myself where you can just leave doors unlocked and have parents just walk in but the way you have it worded comes off very harsh and cold.

Demanding an infant be fed a full feeding within an hour of arrival isn't realistic either. You can't force feed an infant, if they aren't hungry for a full feeding within the hour of drop off you just aren't going to accept them for the day?

While I agree with not sending children home with a parent who appears under the influence you might want to check you state laws on that one. In my state we can not withhold a child from their legal guardian even if for example if they reek of alcohol. Instead we must release the child and immediately call CPS. It's ass backwards but that is the law here.

I know you just added the part about the limit to one parent conference every 6 months thing but I also think this makes it look like you are hard to work with. It basically says to a parent it's your way or the highway and you aren't willing to work with them.

Oh and the trial period you have listed isn't really a trial period for parents if it's only 2 weeks long and requires they give a 2 week written notice..

Please don't take these suggestions the wrong way. I am just trying to help. As a newer provider myself I understand wanting to be firm on your policies but sometimes you need to work for the daycare a bit before the daycare can work for you if you plan on doing this long term.

Comment

Thank you for your input. What changes do you suggest?

Comment

And for all of you demanding I submit my Handbook and that I copied her content, I'm waiting for apologies!

Comment

Originally posted by trix23 View Post
            Thank you for your input. What changes do you suggest?
            I think the main thing is all of the mention of the fees. I mean charging to be on a wait list? That sounds crazy to me. Is this a thing in other areas?

I would revamp the whole handbook if this were mine. It comes across as very cold and harsh and honestly it's a little wordy and I feel like you need a few years practice before parents will take some of these things serious. You want to set yourself up to be respected but at the same time you don't want to scare people away. A handbook like this is great for show but it's the experience that you will gain that will back it up.

I don't have a handbook currently. I'm in the process of putting together a portfolio that I'm sure I'll be adding to for years to come. I am diffenrt in that I had the luxury of enrolling family and friends of family to start out. My contract that lays out my policies is only 4-5 pages and just covers the basics. I don't want to come off as someone that I'm not. Truth is I don't have the experience so many members on this board have but I'm working damn hard to someday be able to be as respected as some of the members that post here. This is experience that only comes from doing this job for years. I think in your case less is more.

Comment

Originally posted by LysesKids View Post
              Crazy how that goes because TN has us transition at 12 months... something I was already doing & parents knew from get go
              Wisconsin says at one unless its night care, then its a crib till 2!

Comment

I disgree with the "infants must be fed a full feeding before arrival" as well. Infants are usually on their own schedule and its part of our job to feed them when they are hungry...

Comment

Working...
                X