Funny Saying, I Don't Understand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by daycare View Post
    not sure what AG class is, but oh boy is that a very funny story.
    AG= Agriculture. Covered aspects of farming, livestock, welding, mechanics, & agriculture-related business.

Comment

Maybe she is a descendant of the Olsen family & takes offence

Comment

Originally posted by DaveA View Post
        AG= Agriculture. Covered aspects of farming, livestock, welding, mechanics, & agriculture-related business.
        I have never heard of this before, you did this in your highschool?

we don't have any programs like that here where I live and if we do, I guess my kids were not interested in them. I didn't go to high school in USA, so I wasn't sure what that meant.

sounds very interesting.

Comment

A friend of my fathers was a farmer and when we were kids, he showed us once how the chicken can keep going without the head. It was kind of funny, but then I remember thinking, "I hope that doesn't mean it feels the pain". I've heard both ways, part of the brain was still there, so it was still alive, and that it's actually dead and just the nerves still going.

I don't see anything politically incorrect in that joke. To me, it always meant someone is very active, but not accomplishing anything. They weren't thinking, or thinking straight, so the joke basically told them to stop and get a hold of themselves.
          Children are little angels, even when they are little devils.
          They are also our future.

Comment

Yeah on my Facebook I see people all the time where people are offended if you refer to everyone as guys and I'm just so annoyed by it. I say you guys all the time, so Whoops! Oh well. When I was younger, life was so much more simpler.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
              A friend of my fathers was a farmer and when we were kids, he showed us once how the chicken can keep going without the head. It was kind of funny, but then I remember thinking, "I hope that doesn't mean it feels the pain". I've heard both ways, part of the brain was still there, so it was still alive, and that it's actually dead and just the nerves still going.

I don't see anything politically incorrect in that joke. To me, it always meant someone is very active, but not accomplishing anything. They weren't thinking, or thinking straight, so the joke basically told them to stop and get a hold of themselves.
              This made me laugh and feel sad at the same time. I've never been on a real farm, only at a very small one at the amusement parks.
              I bet that had to be an experience.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveA View Post
                Oh Lord- is there anything people aren't offended at anymore?:I take offense to their being offended.
                These days it does feel as though no matter is said, someone will find a way to be offended by it. I'd also be curious to know why the woman in your class said it wasn't pc to use that idiom. I wonder if she's a PETA member??

When I was a kid, I had a homework assignment that had to do with idioms. One of them was "running around like a chicken with its head cut off". I laughed about it but then my mother told me about the day she came home from school and found a chicken running around her front yard with its head cut off. Apparently her father had brought it home with the intention of using it for dinner once it got big enough but she had grown attached to it and thought of it as a pet. She said it was very traumatizing at the time. I never thought to ask her but my guess is she probably had a bowl of cereal for dinner that night!

Comment

Originally posted by lovemydaycare0912 View Post
                  Yeah on my Facebook I see people all the time where people are offended if you refer to everyone as guys and I'm just so annoyed by it. I say you guys all the time, so Whoops! Oh well. When I was younger, life was so much more simpler.
                  Just when I finally start to really learn English I am back to getting it all wrong again. Seems like everything keeps changing.

I'm not offended by much. Lol

Comment

Originally posted by Cat Herder View Post
                    :::: It refers to running around without a functioning brain. Full of intent and nervous energy, but without function.

It think it is a southern thing but then again, as a southerner, I think everything is.
                    So are you saying people without a functioning brain are offended? If so I think I figured out why it is not PC!

Comment

That is a saying that I've heard since childhood and I've used it plenty of times! How can it be politically Incorrect?

Also, I always say, "You guys'. When I taught kindergarten I'd say something like, Hey, guys quiet down." I noticed once how often I said it and actually wondered why I used the word that way.

I felt it meant "all of you". I wonder if it's a term used in certain parts of the country and not others. I should pay attention to see if I hear others using it this way.

Comment

This is why I'm a very quiet person and say very little to adults, this is why I work with kids. No matter what comes out of my mouth around adults, I feel as if I'm second guessing every word I said to make sure I didn't offend someone.
                        Sure would love to place my non-filtered 83 yo neighbor in that crowd. It takes a lot to offend me and he is totally offensive to me. Or ahem, one of the presidential candidates.

New motto: You're not living life to the fullest if you don't offend at least 2 people everyday.

Comment

She would probably enjoy the Johnny Verbeck song.

Comment

Originally posted by Cat Herder View Post
                            Y'all is taken. Oh, and these women sound "off" to me, ahem... bless their hearts.
                            Yes ma'am, bless them!

Poor dc, that lady was crazy. Being offended at 'you guys', this country needs to put it's big girl panties on.

Comment

Originally posted by daycare View Post
                              I have never heard of this before, you did this in your highschool?

we don't have any programs like that here where I live and if we do, I guess my kids were not interested in them. I didn't go to high school in USA, so I wasn't sure what that meant.

sounds very interesting.
                              Oh yeah- I spent 3 years in Ag classes. Would have been 4 but I took Spanish my freshman year. It wasn't just working with tools or hands on stuff. There was a lot of work on contracts, business practices, computers (late 80s/early 90s versions), genetics, construction basics, economics, etc. You also had to do a year long project management where you did a certain task from start to finish documenting everything such as costs and time. It could be anything: I can't remember one years, but I know fixed up a pond that was dying out one year and restored an antique shotgun and made and sold knives for mountain man reenactors another. Sadly many schools have cut or marginalized classes like this, shop, arts, music, and consumer economics.

Originally posted by e.j. View Post
                              These days it does feel as though no matter is said, someone will find a way to be offended by it. I'd also be curious to know why the woman in your class said it wasn't pc to use that idiom. I wonder if she's a PETA member??
                              I don't even joke about that organization. Years ago I did a craft fair and my table was next to someone raising money for them. All my knives had leather sheaths and half of them had horn or bone handles. Let's just say I was not her favorite person. 2 days of getting grouched at was not fun. The aftermath of her passing my info around to her buddies for them to call and email complaints to was even worse.

Comment

Originally posted by CalCare View Post
                                What!? Politically incorrect to vegetarians maybe? Lol I don't get the problem. Good luck tmrw!
                                Ding ding ding!! Winner, winner, chicken dinner!
                                (Oops! That is probably highly offensive too)

Statements such as "Running around like a chicken with it's head cut off" is offensive to vegans.

It’s unacceptable and offensive to express violent and hateful speech about animals

"When we speak of animals as if they are dirty, worthless, stupid, disposable “its” lacking any identity or value, it allows us to stay disconnected to the reality of what we are doing to them. We treat them like property with out actions, our language and our laws. We devalue them in the most casual of contexts."

There are certain common colloquialisms many of us use everyday that you probably don’t realize are offensive. So I’m here to make you feel bad about yet another thing you do!

Comment

Working...
                                X