Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who Loses Parents for Provider Taking Off?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As a school teacher I only view students as being with me a school year and while I do attach to them and their families I feel it is part of my job to give them the tools to move onto the next teacher as the best version of themselves. I do understand you have them longer as a home daycare provider but just like with teachers them moving on does come with the gig.

Personally I like consistency and a provider closing to host a yard sale would annoy me. It is just not something I would want to take a day off of work for..... teacher in service, vacation, holidays I completely understand but for me yard sale does not rank.

I am just launching my home-based preschool this summer so I am a newbie but as I set opening hours / yearly calendar I am giving thought to what I valued as a parent as well as what I am willing to give of myself as a provider. As a provider I feel both have to be considered and the parents need to know that upon signing up --- it is at that point that they should decided if the school calendar works for them or not.

Comment

I'm sorry you're losing dcbs you have grown attached too. That can bite for sure. But there will be other kids who will steal your heart in your future. Look for your silver lining here!!
      Dcm is doing what most dcps do and that's finding what works best for them. We, as providers and business owners, need to do that too! Problem is we tend to form a bond to a lot of these kids so we feel it when they go. Someone said wait 2 weeks, it'll be better and that is definitely true. When someone left and I truly cared for their child/ren I'd feel empty for a week or so but then focusing on my own family or the other dcks(or new dcks!)helped fill that void quickly! I've been doing this a long time and some of the ones I missed are people that I couldn't remember their names now if I tried.

Comment

Originally posted by CityGarden View Post
        As a school teacher I only view students as being with me a school year and while I do attach to them and their families I feel it is part of my job to give them the tools to move onto the next teacher as the best version of themselves. I do understand you have them longer as a home daycare provider but just like with teachers them moving on does come with the gig.

Personally I like consistency and a provider closing to host a yard sale would annoy me. It is just not something I would want to take a day off of work for..... teacher in service, vacation, holidays I completely understand but for me yard sale does not rank.

I am just launching my home-based preschool this summer so I am a newbie but as I set opening hours / yearly calendar I am giving thought to what I valued as a parent as well as what I am willing to give of myself as a provider. As a provider I feel both have to be considered and the parents need to know that upon signing up --- it is at that point that they should decided if the school calendar works for them or not.
        That is the awesome part of this job. She can take day or two off to have a garage sale, because she is the boss of her business. Parents should have back up. No need to take a day off if you actually prepare as a parent. The parents were given consistent care, above and beyond according to the OP, so the only time they get mad is when she is not available (even though they had notice) and they didn't have a back up, which is their own fault. Consideration must go both ways.

Comment

But this isn't fair, and is a double standard. My parents can take a sick day, personal day, vacation day whatever and still bring their child to me. I don't ask why some volunteer it others don't. I don't think it matters why I would take a day off, I am just as entitled to have a life as anyone else, and wouldn't expect to answer to my parents about it. As long as I stay within the corners of my contract, just as I ask them to do, what I do on my time off is none of their business.

Comment

No offense. But she hasn't done this job yet.

Comment

Mom has every Friday afternoon off, with out the provider questioning what she does. I would not let parents have any say in why I take a day off, especially with plenty of notice given!!

Comment

A day off is a day off. Judging someone by what they use it for is a little insulting.

What you feel is a worthy reason, may not be what someone else feels is worthy. Regardless, you're still entitled to take the day as you see fit as long as you follow your own contract.

Comment

Please know I was and am not attacking the OP I said after the portion of my text you all highlighted that BOTH the provider and parent need to decide what works for them PRIOR to signing up. The OP is within her contract per what she said so I am not knocking that and in this situation that fault is on the parent.

That said I personally would not sign on for a school / daycare that closed for reasons I did not feel were reasonable. Each family has to know what works for them --- I know what works for MY family that does not mean anything against the OP. My program will be shortened hours and possibly 1-2 months of summer off, 2 weeks off at Christmas & 1 week off at Spring break so my program won't be ideal for many but will be right for some. I believe there is a right program for each family but it's the parents responsibility to seek out the right program for their family.

Comment

Personally, I get what you are saying.

Having a garage sale DURING your scheduled time off/vacation is your business.

Closing JUST TO HAVE a garage sale could be viewed as unprofessional.

I guess it's dependent on your (general you) relationship with your clients and how you operate.
                    I lean towards business first but to each her/his own.

Comment

Originally posted by JackandJill View Post
                      Mom has every Friday afternoon off, with out the provider questioning what she does. I would not let parents have any say in why I take a day off, especially with plenty of notice given!!
                      I agree 100%. I decide what I do with my days off. I give plenty of notice, like OP did. If I want to take a day off and lie on my couch all day watching TV, I can.

Comment

So that sounds more like: I have more than ample scheduled time off, including long vacations during the year and summers off, therefore I have no need to take more time off for my own personal use.

But that is a structure that's a long ways away from what most providers do who provide year round care with fewer breaks. For the more usual structure it makes sense to take time sometimes to meet personal needs, giving ample notice to families of course. What is done during that time does not matter.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackcat31 View Post

I guess it's dependent on your (general you) relationship with your clients and how you operate.
                          I get this... I base my pay on 48 weeks per year; what I do with my "20 work week days off" is nobody elses business, however if I close for 2 days to do a yard sale during the week and it wasn't part of my scheduled time off then my parents would expect me to take less vacation time or credit it to the next week/month (it says not professional IMO). I have all my time off scheduled a minimum 6 months out so parents can plan for back up.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackcat31 View Post

Thanks I really was not judging or trying ruffle any feathers or highlight anyone out personally. I was just aiming to add another view to the conversation. We each get to run our own business how we feel best suits us ---- part of the beauty of self-employment.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockgirl View Post
                              I agree 100%. I decide what I do with my days off. I give plenty of notice, like OP did. If I want to take a day off and lie on my couch all day watching TV, I can.
                              It sort of reminds me of when a provider comes on to complain about a parent who was off but still sent in their kid. They say in shock "and it wasn't even an unavoidable appointment! She was getting her hair/nails done!" At some point someone (usually unregistered) comes on to say it's none of our business and we should just do our jobs, etc.
                              And, I agree
                              BUT, it goes *both* ways, IMO.
                              So long as the provider gives ample notice of time off per her contract, the parent in this case has no leg to stand on. Unprofessional in this would be calling out sick on the Wednesday so you can sort through the sale items.
                              And I say this as someone who is contemplating a day "off" next month so I can deep clean my house. Good times.

Comment

I also wouldn't take 2 days off for a garage sale. I considered my business open 5 days a week unless I was sick or had a very important appointment/event.

It's up to the provider what she wants to take off for but I can see why a parent would be annoyed. I would also if I were the parent. Many of my parents didn't have backups which I agree is on them but if they don't know anyone who can take off during the day then they don't.

I also had a provider friend who took off a lot for what I consider not important things. She was always looking for new clients which somehow in her area she got but I always wondered why she'd want to keep interviewing and starting new people. I think that would be a pain. I'm NOT saying OP does this but some do.

Comment

Working...
                                X