Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who Loses Parents for Provider Taking Off?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who Loses Parents for Provider Taking Off?

So, I have had a family since 2014 and I send home a monthly newsletter explaining if days off are needed, whats going on, donations, etc. Long story short, this family I have always been especially close to and their children are loved like my own. I have taken them home or picked them up when dad hurt his back and stayed home, let mom who gets off at 12:30 on Fridays take her afternoon to herself and even work an hour extra at no charge so dad can go to school. I took off this thursday and friday to have a garage sale, much needed and she phoned me this morning and said the kids are not coming back because she needs someone more reliable. I was closing on Fridays for the summer at 1:30 because all my parents are off, guess what, she did not like it, she lost her free time. Should I take this personal or consider it uanappreciated? I am so sad, I was so, so close to the boys.:confused:

Originally posted by tntsmom View Post
    So, I have had a family since 2014 and I send home a monthly newsletter explaining if days off are needed, whats going on, donations, etc. Long story short, this family I have always been especially close to and their children are loved like my own. I have taken them home or picked them up when dad hurt his back and stayed home, let mom who gets off at 12:30 on Fridays take her afternoon to herself and even work an hour extra at no charge so dad can go to school. I took off this thursday and friday to have a garage sale, much needed and she phoned me this morning and said the kids are not coming back because she needs someone more reliable. I was closing on Fridays for the summer at 1:30 because all my parents are off, guess what, she did not like it, she lost her free time. Should I take this personal or consider it uanappreciated? I am so sad, I was so, so close to the boys.:confused:
    Well I would try not to take it personal, but I know that is hard. She wants someone who will cater to her and her needs. You have done what I do and given a lot to this family. Now she is told no, and she doesn't like it. Some people only care about themselves and will seek out only what is best for them.

Comment

Don't take it personal. I know how it is to be so close to a dck. We have to learn families will come and go. She needs someone that will cater to what she wants. When she's lost control or it just is something she doesn't agree with, you can't blame her for going elsewhere. After a couple of weeks you will be okay. I promise.:hug::hug::hug::hug::hug:

Comment

Thank You

Originally posted by Thriftylady View Post
        Well I would try not to take it personal, but I know that is hard. She wants someone who will cater to her and her needs. You have done what I do and given a lot to this family. Now she is told no, and she doesn't like it. Some people only care about themselves and will seek out only what is best for them.
        Thank you ThriftyLady, you are right, she does not like no and it is killing her that her "fun time" was cut off.

Comment

Originally posted by tntsmom View Post
          Thank you ThriftyLady, you are right, she does not like no and it is killing her that her "fun time" was cut off.
          I've learned, as you may have, too, that the more you give, the more they expect. It always comes to a head when you run out of things to give them.

Comment

I see this type of story posted on here all the time, its sad but the way the business works I have a child whose been with me for 4 years, he goes to kindergarten in August, his mom keeps talking about how sad it will be and how much they will miss me...I have had to develop such an emotional detachment through the years, I am sort of the like "meh" I enjoy the family, they are actually good family friends, but "meh" is where I am at as far a daycare families coming and going. New people to meet, more children to get to know.

Hope you can shake it off, without letting it hurt your feelings. :hug:

Comment

I always tried to keep emotionally detached for the most part.

I am just wondering why you did a garage sale on Thursday and Friday. No one does them here except on weekends because who can shop at it if they are working? You get more customers if you do it on a weekend here.

Comment

Originally posted by Laurel View Post

I am just wondering why you did a garage sale on Thursday and Friday. No one does them here except on weekends because who can shop at it if they are working? You get more customers if you do it on a weekend here.
                It seems the trend in my area is also Thurs, Friday. Some do Friday, Sat. When I was in KS, the trend was Thurs, Friday, Saturday.

Comment

Thursday-Friday garage sales are common here.

I was wondering how much notice you gave for the days off, OP.

Comment

I was thinking the same... nobody here does anything except Sat or Sun. Fridays are done sometimes, but not often. I could see doing a weeklong yard sale if a person was moving, but timing seems wrong for "I just need to get rid of stuff".

Where I live, we are only allowed 2 yard sales yearly so we do it as a community on the WEEKENDS

Comment

Obviously like anything else, different areas do it differently. A lot of times here people will do Friday and Saturday so that after they are done they can load up what's left and take it to the dump and then actually have one weekend day to relax.

That said, anytime you make changes to your schedule you run the risk of losing families. I have a family now who has been with me for years and who I've accommodated many times in the past. This year I decided I was going to continue taking Fridays off in July and August (which I started a couple of years ago because they were on a M-Th schedule which I graciously allowed...) They were not thrilled with my decision and as much as I love the little guy, I know they could pull because of it. It just the business.

Comment

My extended family and I had a yard/garage sale last weekend.....we did much better on Friday than Saturday....I don't know why that is but it always happens that way in my town.

Comment

Originally posted by Play Care View Post
                          Obviously like anything else, different areas do it differently. A lot of times here people will do Friday and Saturday so that after they are done they can load up what's left and take it to the dump and then actually have one weekend day to relax.

That said, anytime you make changes to your schedule you run the risk of losing families. I have a family now who has been with me for years and who I've accommodated many times in the past. This year I decided I was going to continue taking Fridays off in July and August (which I started a couple of years ago because they were on a M-Th schedule which I graciously allowed...) They were not thrilled with my decision and as much as I love the little guy, I know they could pull because of it. It just the business.
                          Truth!

I try to give as much notice as possibe (min. 1 month) and limit the amount of time I'm taking off. If dcps have an issue with it, then they are clients I do not want.

Comment

Mom doesn't see anything you've done for her (the family) as anything but normal.

YOU choose to do those things. You can't expect her to show appreciation for going above and beyond when you didn't have to go above and beyond without being compensated for it.

Had you attached a fee to ANYTHING above and beyond you did for this family, they would have recognized it as "extra".

As for closing and "not being reliable" (mom's words) Meh....most of us are in this business so we can be our own bosses and set our own hours/days etc. If this particular family doesn't appreciate everything you do, thats on them.

If they can find someone more reliable (whatever that means to them)...good on them.

Comment

Originally posted by childcaremom View Post
                              Truth!

I try to give as much notice as possibe (min. 1 month) and limit the amount of time I'm taking off. If dcps have an issue with it, then they are clients I do not want.
                              Amen! And let's be honest, there are the times we make the changes *knowing* it will drive a family out! ::

Comment

Working...
                              X