Who Thinks He's Cute?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sereetta View Post
    Seriously some of these post are obnoxious not the child!!! Who are we to judge the future of this child!!! We can make no determination based on the limited information we have. I hope the mother has explained boundaries and the child knows this is unacceptable way to talk to Mama. Please everyone remember he is a child and there is no one way to parenting.. Hopefully no one judges your family in a similar manor. lovethis
    I can't imagine a parent that WANTS to post their child's misbehavior online really cares about how others perceive their child or has the rationing skills to explain boundaries. When you put stuff like that online, you are not only opening yourself up to judgment but pretty much accepting it with open arms IMHO.

Also, as far as "judging the future of a child" of my teachers said that it has been statistically proven that kindergarten (and even some advanced Pre-K program) teachers are actually very good at predicting which of their students will not graduate high school or go off to college.

Comment

Originally posted by Starburst View Post
      I didn't say this particular child was going to grow up that way, I said 'I bet those people who think he's "cute and smart" won't be thinking that when someone like that is dating their daughter and being that disrespectful to her (possibly even emotionally abusive if he's parents let this pattern continue).' because they think it's 'cute' on a young child but if he were an older child, a teenager, or a grown man (which as I said, if his parents let this behavior continue is likely he these manipulative habits will continue; and yes possibly even expand) people would have a different opinion about it. It's like when people think its 'cute' when little kids swear but think it's only disrespectful if an older child or adult does it.
      That is assuming a lot.

Of course they won't be thinking he is cute IF he grows up to be a wife beater but to draw that possible conclusion from this one incident seems over the top to me.

He was totally docile on the Ellen show clip and it is the 'quiet ones' who sometimes turn out to be school shooters or murder their whole families so maybe we could speculate from the Ellen clip that he will be a school shooter?

Same kind of analogy in my opinion. Now if he has a pattern of this behavior plus other signs then sure but all this distress over this one incident? I don't get it.

Laurel

Comment

Originally posted by Starburst View Post
        I can't imagine a parent that WANTS to post their child's misbehavior online really cares about how others perceive their child or has the rationing skills to explain boundaries. When you put stuff like that online, you are not only opening yourself up to judgment but pretty much accepting it with open arms IMHO.

Also, as far as "judging the future of a child" of my teachers said that it has been statistically proven that kindergarten (and even some advanced Pre-K program) teachers are actually very good at predicting which of their students will not graduate high school or go off to college.
        Starburst the key phrase was, "Teachers are good at predicting which of THEIR STUDENTS..."
        Now unless I missed a thread or comment above no one has stepped up claiming to be this child's teacher. Therefore it is utterly ridiculous to make statements about this child's future. Teachers spend day in and day out with their students for months and build relationship with them.. I've been a classroom teacher for several years now so I'm speaking from experience. With that being said unless one of us are claiming him as our student I again say utterly ridiculous.

Also if this conversations wants to be strictly about facts lets stop making assumptions and do the research.... Do you know if this mother was looking for this kind of attention. Could she possibly wanted to share this with family and friends because she had previously wrote about it and finally wanted to get this on camera.

The point of my original post was to point out no one has room to judge therefore lets be polite and non judgmental when responding to different parenting styles. One day you might be on the other end of mean comments that don't need to be said out loud. IJS

Comment

I watched it one time. Wanting to go right through the video and take over where mom has obviously failed IMO. So many thought it was cute and funny.....as a DCP and mom for 29 years, I did not see the humor in it. I can only imagine what he will be like as he gets older......

Comment

Originally posted by Sereetta View Post
            Starburst the key phrase was, "Teachers are good at predicting which of THEIR STUDENTS..."
            Now unless I missed a thread or comment above no one has stepped up claiming to be this child's teacher. Therefore it is utterly ridiculous to make statements about this child's future. Teachers spend day in and day out with their students for months and build relationship with them.. I've been a classroom teacher for several years now so I'm speaking from experience. With that being said unless one of us are claiming him as our student I again say utterly ridiculous.
            Just because you don't agree doesn't mean you have to be rude by calling my statement and opinions 'ridiculous'. You don't know me, you don't know what kinds of expierince if have with children (or people in general), I happen to be very good at reading people (their personalities and intentions) ever since I was young without knowing much about them; when I was a teen I once predicted that one of my roommates (who I only knew for a few months and hardly ever saw) would leave his wife (who I also rarely saw) after they decided to move out of state.

When I said that I was referring to the fact that you saying that no one should be assuming and predicting a child's future- that was my major point. And for someone who talks a lot about not being judgmental calling my statements "ridiculous" (and stating originally that other's posts where 'obnoxious'- which I'm sure you were referring indirectly) seems rather judgmental IMHO. But apparently I can't even joke or say the first thought that comes to my mind without being blasted and having my thoughts referred to as "ridiculous" .

@Laural: Again I was only talking about his behavior in the video; NOT him in general and talking about if someone who was older depicted his behavior if people would consider the behavior "cute" and "smart", not the child specifically.

Comment

Ok so I saw this video on facebook today and it reminded me of the video that Meeko posted... I didn't want to start a new thread and be annoying so here I am bringing up a similar video here. I was so annoyed that mom let her carry on her sassy lies for so long. UGH!

MUST SEE - Get Outta My Way..Rally Car Driving Too Fast For Cyclist! - http://youtu.be/Vx6rs9Q8u4s

Comment

Originally posted by Laurel View Post
                I wonder what really happened. In the article it says the child demanded money but then I watched the actual clip (link at the bottom of the article) and the child barely said two words to Ellen and nothing was said about money. As a gift Ellen gave them $10,000 to help out cause they were living with grandma in a tight situation I guess. Also gave mom a spa certificate.

If you just read the article then it sounds bad but unless we didn't see all of the video (which might be the case cause there is something that says 'original video' and it is taken off) the article is distorted.

Who knows?

Laurel
                The problem I see is how many other moms are going to prompt their kids into doing something similar to see if they can get on Ellen and get $10,000?

As far as the ghost thing, young children don't understand lying like an adult does. At 4 the child is telling a story the way she wishes it had happened, the way she imagines it happened, etc. That's not to say she isn't trying to get out of trouble, but they just don't lie the same way as adults until they're older. IMO the mistake is mom arguing with her. "There's drawing on the fish tank - how are you going to clean it up?" End of discussion.

Comment

You are absolutely right. I encourage children her age to have imaginations, but I also discourage lying. My kids know the difference. As adorable as it was that she was able to curate such an elaborate story, I still would not let her antics fly. My mouth fell open when she started the "I'm not 'bout to do anything about this, I'm not 'bout to get no ghost, I'm not bout to clean it up..." Unfortunately, parents condone children's behavior when they think it's cute, so this girl will be talking to people like that for the rest of her life. Her mom will regret it when she's a teen ::

Comment

The common theme is that the parents in both cases are drawing out undesirable behavior instead of making short shrift of it.

I'm not saying that there isn't an age-appropriateness to the ghost girl's behavior, but assuming that she has not yet figured out the line between fantasy and reality, it is that parent's JOB to help her figure it out.
                    This was not the way to go about that.

In my opinion, both parents gave far too much attention to their child's undesirable behavior, thus reinforcing it.

Comment

I prefer my child to question, debate, and express himself than just blindly follow along because some adult told him to do something. Just because someone is an adult doesn't mean they are right or should just dictate to a child something because they can. Compliant children are easier to care for but also at more risk for abuse.

Comment

Originally posted by KidGrind View Post
                        Depends on who he grows up to be. I’m not willing to insinuate the boy based on one video will grow up to be disrespectful or emotionally abusive to a potential girlfriend.

I stole a candy bar at the age of 6 years old. Maybe there was video tape of me and those who saw it labeled me a thief and bad kid. My behavior was unacceptable. I don’t steal as an adult. My poor, illegal behavior as a kid didn’t dictate who I became as an adolescent or adult. A kid trying to score a cupcake from his mother with poor reason and antics does not lead me to believe he will grow up to be a disrespectful or emotionally abusive person. His mother finding his antics funny and deciding to record it doesn’t make her less smart.
                        Speaking of parents, and as a parent, I think the overall message of the video is "If you don't give me something, grandma will". I'm pretty sure the grandmother is LAUGHING in the background. This is why I have very limited contact with my mil. She lets my biological children act a fool in her home. My sil, her bio daughter, has her children in that environment, as mil has offered to babysit for her for free, all the time. They are older than my children, and I already see them not being productive. My nephew FAILED the first grade and they had a party for him because he wanted one, because his friends who passed got one. I think the people criticizing the mom are looking at the wrong party. Honestly, some grandparents are very bad and foster bad habits.

Comment

Originally posted by Scribbles View Post
                          That was my first thought too. It seems we see kids every day that talk to their parents like this little one did and we see lots of kids who try to reason with or debate why they can or can't have something.

I have a 4 year old daycare boy who is a master negotiator. Everything that happens during our day is dissected and negotiated by him. He doesn't do it to be disrespectful but more so because he is trying to come to terms with the why. I think he is a really deep thinker.....not the boy in the video...but my daycare kid.
                          Please don't take this the wrong way, but he is probably manipulative. Children at four usually don't have the skills to think that deep about an issue. Also, why is he questioning "everything"? I'm assuming you guys have routines. For example, is he questioning everyday "Why is lunch at 11:30"? That's not deeper thinking, especially if it's something that's happening every day.

Comment

Working...
                          X