No announcement yet.

Who Thinks He's Cute?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I saw this on Facebook! Everyone was saying how smart he is, cute and would make a great lawyer. I wanted to say am I the only one that sees something wrong here ?!?

Comment

I thought it was funny...from afar. I wouldn't want to be his caregiver.
      Btw, about using his mother's first name, there are probably lots of good reasons but here's one...our neighbours are a two-mom family. The children call the one who carried them Mom and the call the other one by her first name.

Comment

I thought the video was cute-hilarious. Would I want that child at MY house? No. I think even the naughty stuff is cute when the kid isn't MY problem!

Comment

I've seen this around facebook but refuse to watch it. I'm glad I'm not the only one!

Comment

I had to laugh. I thought it was funny.

To me, it really depends on how the rest of their relationship is. It does seem like the mom was still refusing and not giving in. I would guess she is just arguing to see if he will argue back to make a cute video. If that isn't the case and she really argues with him all the time then there is a problem.

Laurel

Comment

Honestly- this is comparable to the new ban bossy thing for girls IMO. Yes his speech is great, his vocabulary is excellent and using words in their proper usage is above many kids his she but he is simply imitating someone else and sees a desirable reaction and continues it. I had a DCB who was talking well at 18mos BUT it was not because he's so smart but has a jabbering 3-4yr old sister who talks constantly. He picked up sassy talk, lack of manners and demanding things. "I wan water, I wan water, I wan water..." "I wan get out, I wan get out" "I wan cracker, I wan cracker" like 10x in a row. It got REALLY annoying. He is still a 2yr old in every other way (hitting, possessive, tantrums, yelling, etc) but can talk well. So what!
              This mom is gonna have her hands full when she tries to tell him no on something she can't give him right then even if she wanted to. When he wants a new laptop at the store TODAY, when he wants a new bike NOW and it's going to be public humiliation for everyone to witness that. Mom has no authority, she can't tell him no now. He will argue like this when he REALLY wants something. Even if she doesn't give in, I'm sure someone will (grandma, dad, aunt, uncle) and that will only make it worse.

Comment

Also- the story said the child refers to his parents by their first names now after going on a trip and they taught him their names in case he got lost instead of just "I lost my mom" not knowing mom is Linda Smith. I understand the concept but continuing it is weird.

Comment

I couldn't even watch the whole video, I'm like practically screaming "Just discipline him already! Put down your phone/camera and be the parent!"

What really irritated me was that he called his mom by his first name in an patronizing tone! If that is not an outright sign of disrespect I don't know what is!

Maybe that's why one of my pet peeves is when people use my name like that when trying to talk to me. People say "use the person's name" when you talk to them, but when people do that to me it only irritates me and feels like they are trying to gain control of the situation.

Comment

Originally posted by nannyde View Post
                    I've been debating this video on another board.

I hate it. I even watched it twice which was torture to see if I missed something in it being cute.

What makes me so sad is how it is perceived as intelligent or smart.

It would take me forever to write out but there is a lot to be learned watching him. What he does can be deconstructed and used as a template for new providers to be able to identify and stop the behavior at the root. He is seasoned but each thing he does is very predictable and a pattern. Breaking down that pattern would be a bit of work but you could get it stopped.
                    I looked at the comments on the board and everyone was saying how "cute", "smart", and "independent" he was. I'm thinking "no, he's disrespectful. and this doesn't show that he is necessary 'smart', only that he is smarter than his parents- which in this situation, isn't saying much!".

I bet those people who think he's "cute and smart" won't be thinking that when someone like that is dating their daughter and being that disrespectful to her (possibly even emotionally abusive if he's parents let this pattern continue).

Comment

Originally posted by Starburst View Post
                      I looked at the comments on the board and everyone was saying how "cute", "smart", and "independent" he was. I'm thinking "no, he's disrespectful. and this doesn't show that he is necessary 'smart', only that he is smarter than his parents- which in this situation, isn't saying much!".

I bet those people who think he's "cute and smart" won't be thinking that when someone like that is dating their daughter and being that disrespectful to her (possibly even emotionally abusive if he's parents let this pattern continue).
                      Depends on who he grows up to be. I’m not willing to insinuate the boy based on one video will grow up to be disrespectful or emotionally abusive to a potential girlfriend.

I stole a candy bar at the age of 6 years old. Maybe there was video tape of me and those who saw it labeled me a thief and bad kid. My behavior was unacceptable. I don’t steal as an adult. My poor, illegal behavior as a kid didn’t dictate who I became as an adolescent or adult. A kid trying to score a cupcake from his mother with poor reason and antics does not lead me to believe he will grow up to be a disrespectful or emotionally abusive person. His mother finding his antics funny and deciding to record it doesn’t make her less smart.

Comment

Originally posted by KidGrind View Post
                        Depends on who he grows up to be. I’m not willing to insinuate the boy based on one video will grow up to be disrespectful or emotionally abusive to a potential girlfriend.

I stole a candy bar at the age of 6 years old. Maybe there was video tape of me and those who saw it labeled me a thief and bad kid. My behavior was unacceptable. I don’t steal as an adult. My poor, illegal behavior as a kid didn’t dictate who I became as an adolescent or adult. A kid trying to score a cupcake from his mother with poor reason and antics does not lead me to believe he will grow up to be a disrespectful or emotionally abusive person. His mother finding his antics funny and deciding to record it doesn’t make her less smart.

I know. I think we are overanalyzing this a tad....

Laurel

Comment

Originally posted by Laurel View Post

I know. I think we are overanalyzing this a tad....

Laurel
                          That was my first thought too. It seems we see kids every day that talk to their parents like this little one did and we see lots of kids who try to reason with or debate why they can or can't have something.

I have a 4 year old daycare boy who is a master negotiator. Everything that happens during our day is dissected and negotiated by him. He doesn't do it to be disrespectful but more so because he is trying to come to terms with the why. I think he is a really deep thinker.....not the boy in the video...but my daycare kid.

Comment

The mom and child were on Ellen. Shutterfly have the family $10,000

Comment

Originally posted by mountainside13 View Post
                              The mom and child were on Ellen. Shutterfly have the family $10,000
                              Rewarding someone for video taping their child acting completely obnoxious?!?

Yep.

Good grief! *sigh*

Comment

Oh, wow
                                that was painful to watch

I think I just had an anxiety attack!

His little mannerisms are probably like his dad.
                                His closing his eyes and tipping his head up, that was about the only cute thing I saw
                                Everything else was a train wreck
                                We have a saying at our house
                                " say what you mean and mean what you say"
                                yikes
                                ::::::

Comment

Working...
                                X