New Regs For NYS...Thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Regs For NYS...Thoughts?

Recently NYS passed some new regulations. They go into effect May 1, 2014. Here are some of them:

1) We must now have a strategy for sheltering in place; and how the health, safety and emotional needs of children will be met in the event it becomes necessary to shelter-in-place; and a plan for notification of the children's parents.
    Each program must hold two shelter-in-place drills annually during which procedures and supplies are reviewed. Parents must be made aware of this drill in advance.

The registrant must maintain on file a record of each shelter-in-place drill conducted, using forms provided by the Office or approved equivalents.

2) It is now required that: The phone used at the family day care must remain in a designated visible location during all hours that children are in care. I am interpreting this as a requirement to have a landline...no cell phone as the only phone available.

3)A new requirement: When care is provided to infants less than six months of age, the daily schedule must include short supervised periods of time during which the awake infant is placed on his or her stomach, back or side allowing them to move freely and interact socially, thus developing motor skills and social skills. Well, duh. Sad that this has to be spelled out for some.

4) Children may not sleep or nap in car seats, baby swings, strollers, infant seats or bouncy seats. Should a child fall asleep in one of these devices, he or she must be moved to a crib/cot or other approved sleeping surface.
    I know a lot of you already have this reg...it is a new reg in NY.

5) Sleeping surfaces, including bedding, which is the removable and washable portion of the sleeping environment, must not come in contact with the sleeping surfaces of another child’s rest equipment during storage. Mats and cots must be stored so that the sleeping surfaces do not touch when stacked.

6)If television or other electronic visual media is used, it must be part of a planned developmentally appropriate program with an educational, social, physical or other learning objective that includes identified goals and objectives. Television and other electronic visual media must not be used solely to occupy time.

7) The use of any type of device for social or entertainment purposes, listening to music on headphones, playing screen games, using the Internet, or making personal calls by caregivers while supervising children is prohibited. Use of any devices for brief and necessary communications or purposes directly related to the child care program such as communication with parents or the Office and its representatives is allowable.

8) This is new and follows the section outlawing physical restraint.
    Physical intervention is permitted. Physical intervention is the act of using bodily contact as a short- term immediate response to prevent children from incurring substantial or serious injury to themselves or injuring others. It may involve: picking a child up and moving him or her away from danger or conflict, holding the child’s hands or gently touching the body to direct their movement, rocking a child to soothe them, blocking a child’s path when they are about to injure themselves or others or destroy property. This technique allows the child to regain self-control as quickly and safely as possible. A consultation with a child’s parent is required if the child is not receptive to physical intervention.

9) The initial medical statement for providers, assistants, and substitutes must include the results of a Mantoux tuberculin test or other federally approved tuberculin test performed within the 12 months preceding the date of the application. Thereafter, tuberculin tests are only required at the discretion of the employee’s health care provider or at the start of new employment in a different child care program. This used to be an annual or biannual requirement.

10) Children must be kept clean and comfortable at all times. Diapers must be changed when wet or soiled. The diaper changing area must be as close as possible to a sink with soap and hot and cold running water. This area or sink must not be used for food preparation. Diaper changing surfaces must be cleaned and disinfected after each use with an Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) registered product that has an EPA registration number on the label Only the bolded part is new. Sounds like we have the choice to use something other than bleach.

What do you think about these new regs? Are they similar to things already on the books in other states?

I am furious about 7. I totally understand the fact that some people need it spelled out that they shouldn't be playing Candy Crush during dc hours, but making personal calls? So if my child's school calls, I can't answer? Or make a doctors appointment? Or call the repairman? How do they plan on monitoring this?

I've said before this reg reads more like something a BOSS would hand to their EMPLOYEE. In that case, I want state health insurance and retirement!!!

Oh, and when we were given the regs to review this summer, I didn't see this at all!!!

Comment

Sounds to me like the new regs are aligning with what've heard about QRIS (star ratings etc) and the NATION-wide change that IS coming for EVERYONE.

Most of these new rules are ALL great in theory but absolutely ridiculous in practice!

Comment

#7 annoys me as well. Too much micro-managing by the state. But, I turned in my registration last week and will no longer be providing registered care after Dec 20th, so I don't have to worry about following these regs if I don't want to. I have only had 1 dck all year and the surprise inspections were stressing me out (not that I was doing anything wrong, but who wants a surprise inspection every couple of months)! I am looking for something to do outside the home, as much as I don't want to. But, my DH lost his job a couple of weeks ago and hasn't been able to find anything yet, and we are going to get desperate vey soon for an income!

Comment

Holy holy number 7!!!!!!!!!!!

Wha?

I don't know of any state that has that.

That needs to be challenged all the way up the courts. We are NOT employees.

Wha?
          http://www.amazon.com/Daycare-Whispe...=doing+daycare

Comment

I'm not in NY but I'm sure changes are coming my way as well ...and although I agree to certain rules and regulations for the safety and well being of the children, I can't help but thinking "ENOUGH ALREADY"

Comment

Originally posted by slorey View Post
              #7 annoys me as well. Too much micro-managing by the state. But, I turned in my registration last week and will no longer be providing registered care after Dec 20th, so I don't have to worry about following these regs if I don't want to. I have only had 1 dck all year and the surprise inspections were stressing me out (not that I was doing anything wrong, but who wants a surprise inspection every couple of months)! I am looking for something to do outside the home, as much as I don't want to. But, my DH lost his job a couple of weeks ago and hasn't been able to find anything yet, and we are going to get desperate vey soon for an income!
              I WISH I could be legally unlicensed, but only being able to have two dck's wouldn't do it for us.
              The storing of bedding bothers me - I'm an in home. Every week I wash the child's bedding, fold it and store it in my linen closet until Monday...So now I can't do that?

Comment

Here is another change:
                The regs used to say: For children unable to nap, time and space must be provided for quiet play. During day and evening care, children must not be forced to rest for long periods of time.
                Ok...so children who didn't nap could play quietly on their mats. This was my policy...always has been.Works great for me.

Now the regs say: Children unable to sleep during nap time shall not be confined to a sleeping surface (cot, crib, etc.) but instead must be offered a supervised place for quiet play.
                So now we can't have them play on their cot? We have to allow them to be up and about? How is that supposed to work when other kids are sleeping? We are required direct visual supervision so it's not like we can send Johnny into the playroom all by himself.

Comment

Health insurance, retirement and paid sick days!!!

We already have to have a land line.

I hope #4 doesn't mean if you are out walking a baby and they fall asleep in the stroller that you have to wake them up. Not that I would but still.....

Here we have some 'proposed' changes for screen time but nothing mandated so far.

I am just so glad I am close to retirement age. Well at least we don't have that star rating system yet. They have been trying to work on it for YEARS so they don't move very fast here with all their dumber rules....thank goodness!

Laurel

Comment

Originally posted by Blackcat31 View Post
                    Most of these new rules are ALL great in theory but absolutely ridiculous in practice!

Comment

Originally posted by Maria2013 View Post
                      I'm not in NY but I'm sure changes are coming my way as well ...and although I agree to certain rules and regulations for the safety and well being of the children, I can't help but thinking "ENOUGH ALREADY"

Comment

Originally posted by Leanna View Post
                        Recently NYS passed some new regulations. They go into effect May 1, 2014. Here are some of them:

1) We must now have a strategy for sheltering in place; and how the health, safety and emotional needs of children will be met in the event it becomes necessary to shelter-in-place; and a plan for notification of the children's parents.
                        Each program must hold two shelter-in-place drills annually during which procedures and supplies are reviewed. Parents must be made aware of this drill in advance.

The registrant must maintain on file a record of each shelter-in-place drill conducted, using forms provided by the Office or approved equivalents.

2) It is now required that: The phone used at the family day care must remain in a designated visible location during all hours that children are in care. I am interpreting this as a requirement to have a landline...no cell phone as the only phone available.

3)A new requirement: When care is provided to infants less than six months of age, the daily schedule must include short supervised periods of time during which the awake infant is placed on his or her stomach, back or side allowing them to move freely and interact socially, thus developing motor skills and social skills. Well, duh. Sad that this has to be spelled out for some.

4) Children may not sleep or nap in car seats, baby swings, strollers, infant seats or bouncy seats. Should a child fall asleep in one of these devices, he or she must be moved to a crib/cot or other approved sleeping surface.
                        I know a lot of you already have this reg...it is a new reg in NY.

5) Sleeping surfaces, including bedding, which is the removable and washable portion of the sleeping environment, must not come in contact with the sleeping surfaces of another child’s rest equipment during storage. Mats and cots must be stored so that the sleeping surfaces do not touch when stacked.

6)If television or other electronic visual media is used, it must be part of a planned developmentally appropriate program with an educational, social, physical or other learning objective that includes identified goals and objectives. Television and other electronic visual media must not be used solely to occupy time.

7) The use of any type of device for social or entertainment purposes, listening to music on headphones, playing screen games, using the Internet, or making personal calls by caregivers while supervising children is prohibited. Use of any devices for brief and necessary communications or purposes directly related to the child care program such as communication with parents or the Office and its representatives is allowable.

8) This is new and follows the section outlawing physical restraint.
                        Physical intervention is permitted. Physical intervention is the act of using bodily contact as a short- term immediate response to prevent children from incurring substantial or serious injury to themselves or injuring others. It may involve: picking a child up and moving him or her away from danger or conflict, holding the child’s hands or gently touching the body to direct their movement, rocking a child to soothe them, blocking a child’s path when they are about to injure themselves or others or destroy property. This technique allows the child to regain self-control as quickly and safely as possible. A consultation with a child’s parent is required if the child is not receptive to physical intervention.

9) The initial medical statement for providers, assistants, and substitutes must include the results of a Mantoux tuberculin test or other federally approved tuberculin test performed within the 12 months preceding the date of the application. Thereafter, tuberculin tests are only required at the discretion of the employee’s health care provider or at the start of new employment in a different child care program. This used to be an annual or biannual requirement.

10) Children must be kept clean and comfortable at all times. Diapers must be changed when wet or soiled. The diaper changing area must be as close as possible to a sink with soap and hot and cold running water. This area or sink must not be used for food preparation. Diaper changing surfaces must be cleaned and disinfected after each use with an Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) registered product that has an EPA registration number on the label Only the bolded part is new. Sounds like we have the choice to use something other than bleach.

What do you think about these new regs? Are they similar to things already on the books in other states?
                        Do you have a state child care association? You can fight things you don't like as a group. You don't just have to sit down and take these things. A group will need to be organized obviously.

Laurel

Comment

Yes, number 7 is bothersome. The problem is if you go against it, you sound like someone who sits on Facebook all day
                          SO if I take three minutes to call my sister while the kids are happily playing to confirm that my nephews birthday party is at 3 at the bowling alley I will be given a violation? How are they going to monitor this - the honor system? Hello, yes I'd like to report that I used the telephone??????

The bedding also bothers me. Each child's bedding is laundered weekly and we keep it stacked with their cots...not anymore I guess. Not quite sure how I am going to organize it now:confused:

Comment

Does anyone's state have a reg like 7?
                            http://www.amazon.com/Daycare-Whispe...=doing+daycare

Comment

Reg 7 is stupid. Just call on your CP and not a landline. I mean unless they're gonna ask you for your phone and monitor your calls (how much time/money would that take?) there's no way to "prove" that you answered a phone call from your kids' school or that you got into your email.

Ridiculous.

As far as cots, I assume most store AFTER daycare hours. I'd not do ANYTHING different. Seriously, they are NOT allowed in your home anytime they feel like, it's just during your hours of operation, so IDk how on Earth they'd ever know you stacked the cots. I'd unstack them every morning about 10 mins prior to open time too. Sorry, but some regs are stupid.

Also, I would NEVER EVER move a sleeping baby from a stroller when I'm out or a carseat as I'm driving so how do they plan on "catching" you on that? What am I gonna do, stop my walk or pull over on the road? RIDICULOUS!

Landlines, I do get. It's in our regs that landlines are a 100000% must.

Comment

Working...
                              X