How Long Should 4 Year Old Nap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    That IS really all it comes down to, that I need to find a provider who fits the needs of my child. But a lot of providers have these nap requirements, or "lay there for up to 3 hours" requirement. It made it difficult to find one that really didn't require that she take a long break. I understand that this is your business and you make the rules, I just don't understand how you expect to have happy customers, happy people that are willing to pay you and keep paying you, when you do not offer any services for children who do not need naps. No, my son does not need a nap. He will eventually fall asleep if he is made to lie quietly for such a long time. I would even do that, I guess I should make time at work for my three hour nap. I know you need time to clean up, do your paperwork, etc. But that should not take 2-3 hours, and you do not require that children sleep so that you can have that time. You make time as you go along. I actually have hired a nanny to care for my son while I am at work, I ended that because I realized that I wanted my son to be around other kids, and get used to playing with kids his age. I completely understand that you need to take care of other things, but sometimes (all of the time, for me) these things need to be taken care of after work, or on the weekends. I take my work home with me every day; I work on it after I'd had time with my son, after he goes to sleep. On the weekends, I can stay up later after he falls asleep, because I do not have work the next day. I have worked 12 hour shifts. Before my son was born, I was at my office until 9pm sometimes. (I am an attorney and sometimes extensive research is required). I DID NOT take a 2-3 hour break. That is absurd. How would it be a 12 hour shift if I am taking a 3 hour break? That makes this a four hour shift, a long break, and then a five hour shift. It is not required in my state that every child under a certain age have this quiet time. It is truly very difficult to find a provider that does not need this large break. I liked the "home-setting" and wanted an in-home daycare for him. This is not an option for us due to the nap thing, I refuse to change my son's great sleep schedule to accommodate a daycare. It is hard work to get a child on a sleep schedule, I will not be ruining that for the sake of someone's break. I am your client, you are not mine. I have my son in enrolled in a center now, as you know, this was not my first choice, but I am happy about it now. This center has a four year old class where the children do not have to rest quietly if they do not need to. My son does not get cranky and irritable due to the lack of a nap. He truly does not need a nap. I don't appreciate anyone telling me that my child needs a nap after I have told them that he doesn't. I just want providers to PROVIDE what a child needs. This is the job you choose, you need to do that job. If you are unable to do that, your services are useless to me and I do not need you. Meaning, you will lose a client and lose money.
    But we are happy to loose the money when you leave. That's the part you don't get. If we don't provide the "no nap" service then we KNOW when you say your child doesn't need a nap (whether as an infant or a five year old... same difference to us) then we KNOW you are going to move onto what works for your kid.

You want home providers to offer a service but you couldn't find one that did. That should tell you something right there. Just because YOU don't believe the provider should have a three hour break mid day doesn't mean the majority of the people on the ground actually DOING child care don't believe it. You are looking for something in the market that precious few provide.

Believe me you... if you were a provider who was willing to do a twelve hour haul without a BIG break mid day... you would be killing it in your business. Providers KNOW that we loose kids once the parent believes the child no longer needs a nap. We GLADLY have them move on..... it doesn't bother us a bit and it doesn't matter to us to what AGE your child is.

I would give up this business TODAY if I couldn't find customers that had children who needed a FULL afternoon nap every single day.

I can't do it so I don't offer it. It's not personal. Doesn't have a single thing to do with you... your kid... what your kid needs. I don't do nap for the sake of the children. I do nap for the sake of me.

You have a right to believe that I am wrong. You have a right to believe that my needing this long break is bad business.

I have the right to believe I'm doing it right for the last eighteen years and making bank doing it right. My money hasn't been affected a single thin dime over nap in 18 years. You saying it does or it should doesn't affect my bank balance at the end of the month.
    http://www.amazon.com/Daycare-Whispe...=doing+daycare

Comment

• The whole "I have the right to believe/you have the right to believe" does not fix the fact that it is DIFFICULT to find a provider to care for a child for a full day, without naps. I just wish that providers were a little flexible. And yes, it took me a good deal of time to find a provider (had to be a center) that did not need the children nap so they could get a large break.

Let me show you an example of why I think this is wrong: You hire a landscaping crew to work on your yard for 5(about half your day, correct?) hours every Tuesday(9:00 am to 2:00 pm). You come home and find that they are taking a 1.5 hour break in the middle of their 5 hours(about half your break, correct?). This means that they are not working on your yard for 5 hours. They claim that they need this 1.5 hours to clean their equipment, eat some lunch, and just chill a little bit and get prepared for the next 2 hours of yard work. You would say "What?!" And you would fire them and hire a crew that actually worked on your yard for 5 hours.

Yes, perhaps this landscaping company would stay in business because some of their clients are still happy with the overall result of the yard work, and they don't mind the break. But, some people would NOT be happy about paying this company for 5 hours, when they only actually work on the yard for 3.5 hours. The company that needs the extra-long break would not be nearly as profitable as the company that worked 5 hours. All that other company would need to do is advertise "We Do Not Take 1.5 Hour Breaks When We Are Being Paid To Work 5 Hours". And they would win more clients.

I KNOW you need a break. But 3 hours, really? Maybe you could put in a 30 minute or an hour long movie for the older kids and take your break then. Parents are paying you A LOT of their hard-earned money because they think you are working equally as hard. I am just asking that some of you consider the needs of 4-5 year olds who are not yet in school and also are old enough to stay awake during the day.

This was truly a horrible issue with every in-home provider I considered. Why does it have to be so difficult to find someone to accept $600-$900 a month on the grounds that my child be cared for and NOT be told to lie on a cot for 3 hours? This is really a limited service, it SHOULD NOT be this difficult to find a provider to provide service to the mother of a normal four year old who doesn't need a nap. He is starting school next year, he will not be allowed to nap then. He does not need it, he functions great without it. He is happy, healthy, active and he is tired at 8:30pm. Can't any of you be willing to accommodate these children?

The center my son is at now is expensive, compared to the average price in my area. I know there are older children, who are not in school, who do not need naps. And I know that not all of the mothers of these children can afford to pay for this center my son attends. It would be such a great thing if you considered other options for children who do not nap. If you've been banking on the MUST TAKE LONG BREAK policy, maybe you should try banking on things for older kids to do during little-kid-nap-time. You make like the result of your efforts. I would guess it would make for an even better bank account and happier clients.
      Last edited by Blackcat31; 11-03-2011, 09:26 AM.

Comment

• Oh my goodness! What is WITH THIS THREAD!? Do parents really get their answers from this thread regarding 4 year old nap times? Everyone sing it with me!!!: This is the thread that doesn't end....yes it goes on and on my friend! ::

Comment

I have worked 12 hour shifts. Before my son was born, I was at my office until 9pm sometimes. (I am an attorney and sometimes extensive research is required). I DID NOT take a 2-3 hour break. That is absurd. How would it be a 12 hour shift if I am taking a 3 hour break? That makes this a four hour shift, a long break, and then a five hour shift.
          Obviously your mind can not encompass the thought that having 6-10 children around CONTINUOUSLY, is not the same as having QUITE time alone doing research on a case. I could handle 12 hours of ME time ANY DAY with no break. It's a no brainer, But add 10 kids in to the mix who need CONSTANT attention, diaper changes, feedings etc, and it's a WHOLE DIFFERENT BALLGAME. Why on earth you would compare childcare to quite time researching a case is beyond me. They are NO WHERE NEAR the same and do not require the same mental commitment.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
          I don't appreciate anyone telling me that my child needs a nap after I have told them that he doesn't. I just want providers to PROVIDE what a child needs. This is the job you choose, you need to do that job. If you are unable to do that, your services are useless to me and I do not need you. Meaning, you will lose a client and lose money.
          And I don't appreciate anyone telling me how to run my business. Plain and simple. Read my policies and take them or leave them. That's up to you. I assume you DO know how to read? Choose the childcare facility that works for you and your child after you have read and agreed to their policies.

Comment

• Question:

Family daycare providers, who really gets a 3 hour break? I mean when I have infants I have no break ( for the last 6 years actually, this is the first time in a long time that ALL my kids are sleeping at one time, and in a few months another newborn starts, so there goes that "break")

And when I am not taking care of infants, or checking on the kids, changing poop that happens while they sleep ( a big one this month!?) I am getting art set up for next art, preparing snack and dinner. I also email parents, upload pictures to website from morning FOR parents, and then maybe I can go pee by myself, put my feet up and relax for 30 minutes of a 12 hour day.

Now I know parents work, lets say 8 hour days with 30 minute lunch. After work for these parents, who preps for the next days work, cleans up their work station, and does work related things at night? MOST leave after 8 hours, go pee during day whenever they want, eat lunch in silence, maybe even go out to eat, then work a few more hours, and head home. They DO NOT however, stay after work, not getting paid to clean their desk, get things ready for next day, etc. If these are things us as providers should do after work, then really I would work 13-14 hour days.

Just a thought.

Comment

The whole "I have the right to believe/you have the right to believe" does not fix the fact that it is DIFFICULT to find a provider to care for a child for a full day, without naps. I just wish that providers were a little flexible. And yes, it took me a good deal of time to find a provider (had to be a center) that did not need the children nap so they could get a large break. Let me show you an example of why I think this is wrong: You hire a landscaping crew to work on your yard for 5(about half your day, correct?) hours every Tuesday(9:00 am to 2:00 pm). You come home and find that they are taking a 1.5 hour break in the middle of their 5 hours(about half your break, correct?). This means that they are not working on your yard for 5 hours. They claim that they need this 1.5 hours to clean their equipment, eat some lunch, and just chill a little bit and get prepared for the next 2 hours of yard work. You would say "What?!" And you would fire them and hire a crew that actually worked on your yard for 5 hours.
              Yes, perhaps this landscaping company would stay in business because some of their clients are still happy with the overall result of the yard work, and they don't mind the break. But, some people would NOT be happy about paying this company for 5 hours, when they only actually work on the yard for 3.5 hours. The company that needs the extra-long break would not be nearly as profitable as the company that worked 5 hours. All that other company would need to do is advertise "We Do Not Take 1.5 Hour Breaks When We Are Being Paid To Work 5 Hours". And they would win more clients.
              I KNOW you need a break. But 3 hours, really? Maybe you could put in a 30 minute or an hour long movie for the older kids and take your break then. Parents are paying you A LOT of their hard-earned money because they think you are working equally as hard. I am just asking that some of you consider the needs of 4-5 year olds who are not yet in school and also are old enough to stay awake during the day. This was truly a horrible issue with every in-home provider I considered. Why does it have to be so difficult to find someone to accept $600-$900 a month on the grounds that my child be cared for and NOT be told to lie on a cot for 3 hours? This is really a limited service, it SHOULD NOT be this difficult to find a provider to provide service to the mother of a normal four year old who doesn't need a nap. He is starting school next year, he will not be allowed to nap then. He does not need it, he functions great without it. He is happy, healthy, active and he is tired at 8:30pm. Can't any of you be willing to accommodate these children? The center my son is at now is expensive, compared to the average price in my area. I know there are older children, who are not in school, who do not need naps. And I know that not all of the mothers of these children can afford to pay for this center my son attends. It would be such a great thing if you considered other options for children who do not nap. If you've been banking on the MUST TAKE LONG BREAK policy, maybe you should try banking on things for older kids to do during little-kid-nap-time. You make like the result of your efforts. I would guess it would make for an even better bank account and happier clients.
              Your analogy isn't right.

Let's say you hired a landscaper for five hours of work on Tuesday and he said to you.... I'm going to do the five hours but I will do it between 9-12 .. take a three hour break... and then do it from 3-5. Same amount of money but we will take a big break in the middle of it.

You pay for the five hours and you get five hours of work.

The part you don't GET is that we are NOT charging for the kids to be up during that time. My rates are based on a NINE hour max day with a 2.5 hour break in the middle. So I figure the break into the rate just like the landscaper in my analogy. I'm willing to "house" and supervise your child during that time but I am not willing to do the intense supervision and interaction during that time like I do when everyone is up.

You say " I am just asking that some of you consider the needs of 4-5 year olds who are not yet in school and also are old enough to stay awake during the day."

Friend the four and five year olds are a small small amount of the "keep my kid up at nap" requests. You think that's the age but MANY parents believe it is actually their infant or toddler who doesn't need a nap. There's NO age limit to it. I've had this request with a six month old. (I tell you no lies) Your child being four isn't any more of a special request then the parent with a 14 month old who is requesting it. It's all the same to me... it means no breaky breaky and Nan needs her breaky.

This is really a limited service, it SHOULD NOT be this difficult to find a provider to provide service to the mother of a normal four year old who doesn't need a nap.

Friend... you believe that but I think maybe you haven't actually cared for children who were from mulitple families of multiple ages. It's NOT the same as caring for your own kid or your friends and family kids. You think it's a really limited service.... but really it's a lot of hard work. I've been at it for 18 years and I haven't missed a day of work in 17 years cept my vacay and holiday.

I KNOW how hard this is... It might be something you think is limited and most likely you could manage to do it on a schedule like you suggested... but what you are seeing in real life is that there are few like you who can manage it. The real reason you can't find it is because it's too hard to do for MOST.

Can you tell me why you think the providers you are asking to do this won't? Do you have any insight of why provider after provider would rather not have your money then have your money and have your kid up for ten straight hours a day? You are saying it's incredibly difficult to find. Why if it's as easy as you suggest and it's really being paid for in regular day care pay.. why can't you find someone who is willing to do it? Why did you have to hire a Nanny or put your child into a Center to find it?

Comment

The whole "I have the right to believe/you have the right to believe" does not fix the fact that it is DIFFICULT to find a provider to care for a child for a full day, without naps. I just wish that providers were a little flexible. And yes, it took me a good deal of time to find a provider (had to be a center) that did not need the children nap so they could get a large break.

Let me show you an example of why I think this is wrong: You hire a landscaping crew to work on your yard for 5(about half your day, correct?) hours every Tuesday(9:00 am to 2:00 pm). You come home and find that they are taking a 1.5 hour break in the middle of their 5 hours(about half your break, correct?). This means that they are not working on your yard for 5 hours. They claim that they need this 1.5 hours to clean their equipment, eat some lunch, and just chill a little bit and get prepared for the next 2 hours of yard work. You would say "What?!" And you would fire them and hire a crew that actually worked on your yard for 5 hours.

I KNOW you need a break. But 3 hours, really? Maybe you could put in a 30 minute or an hour long movie for the older kids and take your break then. Parents are paying you A LOT of their hard-earned money because they think you are working equally as hard. I am just asking that some of you consider the needs of 4-5 year olds who are not yet in school and also are old enough to stay awake during the day.

This was truly a horrible issue with every in-home provider I considered. Why does it have to be so difficult to find someone to accept $600-$900 a month on the grounds that my child be cared for and NOT be told to lie on a cot for 3 hours? This is really a limited service, it SHOULD NOT be this difficult to find a provider to provide service to the mother of a normal four year old who doesn't need a nap. He is starting school next year, he will not be allowed to nap then. He does not need it, he functions great without it. He is happy, healthy, active and he is tired at 8:30pm. Can't any of you be willing to accommodate these children?

The center my son is at now is expensive, compared to the average price in my area. I know there are older children, who are not in school, who do not need naps. And I know that not all of the mothers of these children can afford to pay for this center my son attends. It would be such a great thing if you considered other options for children who do not nap. If you've been banking on the MUST TAKE LONG BREAK policy, maybe you should try banking on things for older kids to do during little-kid-nap-time. You make like the result of your efforts. I would guess it would make for an even better bank account and happier clients.
                It seems to me you are saying that you want to pay the lower rates offered by home providers, but you want them to offer the same service (i.e., no rest or nap time required) of the larger, more expensive centers.

As Nan said, my rates reflect the fact that I require a rest period each day. If I were going to accomodate children who did not need that rest period then I would have to raise my rates to the same rates that the larger, no nap required, centers charge.

It does seem that the majority of conflicts between providers and parents always comes down to money.

Comment

I don't like older children. My business is not set up to accomodate them because... duh duh duh daaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh They don't take a full afternoon nap.

If I did the options for kids that did not nap I would have to hire out nap time every day. The parents would have to pay the price you pay now for the expensive center. Your center charges more money so they have adults there to cover the "no nap" part of their service.

What you can't find is the cheap home day care that offers the expensive "no nap" service your center offers. You landed in a place where you paid more money. If you believe that this service would be a benefit to the public then feel free to open a home child care at home child care rates and market towards the kids you feel are so underserved.

If you REALLY believe in it then do it. You see a place in the market for the service. Put your belief to work. You will be full quicker than you can say "no naps here". There's a TON of people wanting their baby to five year old up all day. They will be knocking down your door trying to get in as long as it's cheap or at most the price of a regular home child care that doesn't offer a no nap service.

You think the service will be for four and five year olds but soon enough you will have parents coming to you with infants, toddlers, and three year olds saying "my child is perfectly healthy... fine... happy and in bed by 8:30 every day if they don't have a nap. Take my baby... my toddler.. my three year old... do it for the sake of the children"

Comment

• I love novels!
                    Each day is a fresh start
                    Never look back on regrets
                    Live life to the fullest
                    We only get one shot at this!!

Comment

• Originally posted by nannyde View Post
                      Can you tell me why you think the providers you are asking to do this won't? Do you have any insight of why provider after provider would rather not have your money then have your money and have your kid up for ten straight hours a day? You are saying it's incredibly difficult to find. Why if it's as easy as you suggest and it's really being paid for in regular day care pay.. why can't you find someone who is willing to do it? Why did you have to hire a Nanny or put your child into a Center to find it?
                      That is EXACTLY what I am asking. Why is this so difficult? I think they need break from all the kids, yes. But why is it not possible to turn on a movie for the older kiddos, or give them a quiet activity, while you take your break? I sincerely DO NOT want my child to lie on a cot for that long. It is boring, and it disrupts his already established sleep patterns at home. He can watch a movie or play quietly while others sleep. He knows what it means to be quiet, because others are sleeping. As far as the landscaping example goes, your analogy is incorrect. If I were paying you to care for my son for nine hours, then you are being paid to care for him for nine hours. You are saying that I would pay you for nine hours, however my son would actually be in your home for 12 hours. (9+3=12). But no, he is in your home for 9 hours and you are taking a 3 hour break during this 9 hours. Meaning that you really are only caring for my son for 6 hours, because you have told him to lie quietly on his cot for 3 hours. (9-3=6).
                      & Mandy Jane, I don't think it is necessary to attempt to insult me with your sarcastic remarks. "I assume you DO know how to read? " What is up with that? If you want me to edit your grammar on that post, I can and will. Just let me know. I will be all over that.
                      I am not trying to insult anyone here, and I would like it very much if you did not insult me.
                      I appreciate that you all care enough for children to open your home up to them. But you are running a business, you are providing a service. You need to stop being so selfish and look at what your clients need, and compare that to what you need. There needs to be a good balance. And with most of the providers I looked at, the needs of the provider were put well above the clients. They wanted a break, no exceptions. They would try to explain to me that my child DOES need a nap. They would try to tell me that yes, they are negotiable. But when I questioned them in detail what my child would be doing during "nap time", they failed to prove that my child would not be lying down doing nothing at all.

I am obviously not finding any answers here. I had to put my son in a center, when I preferred the "home-setting" and the personalization you get with a home provider. I was not able to find any provider willing to actually budge on this nap time/break time thing. That is a very large break. And yes, your job is quite different then mine. But why did you choose this kind of work if you cannot keep up with children for a full 8 hours, even? I could not do that, so I chose to NOT open a daycare in my home. If I thought that I could handle 6-8 kids (homes that I looked at had this # of kids, I definitely do NOT want my son in a home with more children than that. That is a chaotic mess) in my home then I would consider the fact that I would need to actually care for them for at least 9 hours. Meaning, that I would need to tend to children who were old enough to stay awake during the day. I would require that children who get cranky have naps. I would consult with the parent about their child's crankiness and there would be a solution. I would not "drop" the family because a child functions well w/out a nap. That IS bad business. That is cruel to the child. If they get used to a daycare, love the kids they play with, love the providers, why would you drop them because they do not need a nap?
                      Like I said, I am getting no answers here.
                      Based on the info you HAVE provided, this is my conclusion:

My son will stay in a center. In-home providers are unable to fully care for my child because they cannot handle children who do not require a nap. They would much rather disrupt his sleeping habits rather than disrupt their break.

Comment

• Originally posted by nannyde View Post
                        I don't like older children. My business is not set up to accomodate them because... duh duh duh daaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh They don't take a full afternoon nap.

If I did the options for kids that did not nap I would have to hire out nap time every day. The parents would have to pay the price you pay now for the expensive center. Your center charges more money so they have adults there to cover the "no nap" part of their service.

What you can't find is the cheap home day care that offers the expensive "no nap" service your center offers. You landed in a place where you paid more money. If you believe that this service would be a benefit to the public then feel free to open a home child care at home child care rates and market towards the kids you feel are so underserved.

If you REALLY believe in it then do it. You see a place in the market for the service. Put your belief to work. You will be full quicker than you can say "no naps here". There's a TON of people wanting their baby to five year old up all day. They will be knocking down your door trying to get in as long as it's cheap or at most the price of a regular home child care that doesn't offer a no nap service.

You think the service will be for four and five year olds but soon enough you will have parents coming to you with infants, toddlers, and three year olds saying "my child is perfectly healthy... fine... happy and in bed by 8:30 every day if they don't have a nap. Take my baby... my toddler.. my three year old... do it for the sake of the children"
                        I love nannyde!

Priceless

Comment

• My naptime. Break is 1 hour 40 minutes. If noone calls, knocks, poops, or cries. This is the time I fill out paperwork, clean off tables, wash any gooey toys, wipe down the bathroom. Finally pee myself, toss a sandwich to my stomach, and lotion my hands. With the remaining 7 1/2 minutes I sit and stare at the sleeping angels.

Comment

• It isn't about the money...

I was willing to pay for good care. I was actually paying the previous provider well above the average rate. I am not looking for "cheap" ways to keep my son up all day. You guys are STILL not getting it. I am not asking that you keep him awake while I am at work, so that when I get home, I can just put him straight to bed. I spend time with my son in the evenings, and I thoroughly enjoy it. I hate that I even have to work; I love my job, but I love my little boy wayyy more. I am not wanting an in-home daycare provider so that I can save money. I will pay what I paid at the center, or actually even more, because I LOVE the personalization you get at the in-home daycare, and the stability. I love that I know that Ms. Sally will be there like she always is and will care for my son, and not a 20 year old girl who was just fired from her waitress job so she thought she'd work at a center and see how that is.
                            I am willing to pay for that kind of thing. I just couldn't find one who could meet the needs of my very normal son. He didn't fight, he didn't scream, he gets along well with others, he doesn't get cranky. He just didn't need the nap. It messed up his sleeping habits at home, and I worked so hard to get him on a great schedule. Being told to lie on a cot for 3 hours will mean that he will eventually fall asleep, therefore not fall asleep at home until 10pm or later.

Comment

• I have had 4-5 year olds in the past that don't nap. They do however have a cot, blanket and lay down after lunch. If they are awake after about 30 minutes, I do get them up out of the room and let them read or sit quietly with me. This being said, I have had 4-5 year old parents NOT want them to watch tv during this time. So I do not even turn on the TV, even for me. If they are loud then I lay them back down and they know this. Usually they will color, read or something quiet.

Sometimes they will fall asleep on the cot, and I think the at least 30 minutes of laying down is good for anyone! I wish I could just "lay" there for 30 minutes.

BUT during my "break" if the child is loud, or rude, he will lay down. SOMETIMES i had the older 4-5 year olds entertain the infants ( not hold or feed, just be by) and that was nice for a 2 minute potty break!

So maybe these providers that don't allow the older kids up, have had issues with parents wanting their kids to be "doing" something during this time, or the kids ARE not quiet and respectful??

Comment

I was willing to pay for good care. I was actually paying the previous provider well above the average rate. I am not looking for "cheap" ways to keep my son up all day. You guys are STILL not getting it. I am not asking that you keep him awake while I am at work, so that when I get home, I can just put him straight to bed. I spend time with my son in the evenings, and I thoroughly enjoy it. I hate that I even have to work; I love my job, but I love my little boy wayyy more. I am not wanting an in-home daycare provider so that I can save money. I will pay what I paid at the center, or actually even more, because I LOVE the personalization you get at the in-home daycare, and the stability. I love that I know that Ms. Sally will be there like she always is and will care for my son, and not a 20 year old girl who was just fired from her waitress job so she thought she'd work at a center and see how that is.
                                I am willing to pay for that kind of thing. I just couldn't find one who could meet the needs of my very normal son. He didn't fight, he didn't scream, he gets along well with others, he doesn't get cranky. He just didn't need the nap. It messed up his sleeping habits at home, and I worked so hard to get him on a great schedule. Being told to lie on a cot for 3 hours will mean that he will eventually fall asleep, therefore not fall asleep at home until 10pm or later.
                                I am sorry your experience with family child care did not work out for you. From your posts, I gather you are the rare parent that really is trying to work WITH your provider to find a happy medium or at least some sort of compromise to your situation.

Most parents are not willing to put in the face time with their child and would never be willing to pay for the type of care they really want.

If you were a parent who came to me and discussed this issue, I would be more than happy to try and accommodate you. I do ask that all my daycare children nap/rest during the day...but NEVER for 3 hours at a time. I have a 90 minute rest period. I used to offer the TV/movie option for the older ones but I no longer have a TV (a whole other topic) but most my older kids would not be quiet so the younger ones could nap and licensing requires ALL the children to be in one room or one area so loud older kids wouldnt work for me.

I do have a couple 4-5 year olds now who do not sleep. They do rest however and listen to the audio books I play for the 90 minutes of rest time. In the summer months, I have a helper who takes those non-sleepers outside for the rest period. In the winter months I cannot afford to hire a helper and do not have that option.

I'd love to have parents pay me $600-900 per month for one full time child that is over age two. For me, that would be fantastic. Heck, I would take any age kid if the parent paid me that rate.

I do try very hard to be flexible for parents but if one parent's requests become too disruptive for the group, then I can't do it. I know in my area, there are lots of providers who offer care without naps/rest times. I am just not one of them. At least not all the time.

I also think Nan is just trying to point out that SHE personally does not offer a no nap service but others out there somewhere probably do. It costs more sometimes but I am sure it is out there.
                                Last edited by Blackcat31; 11-03-2011, 10:37 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X