WICC & Government Shut Down - HELP IMPORTANT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by momofboys View Post
    She may need to just put it on a credit card. Sorry she is going through this but if it was my child I would go in deep debt so my kids' needs were met. This is my child - my responsibility. I couldn't afford it either but wouldn't expect the gov't to help me out. I would put it on a credit card with no delay.
    I agree. If I didn't have a credit card, I would be selling my furniture or anything else I had to in order for my children to have their needs met.

I certainly wouldn't be waiting around for some government agency to help me out.

Comment

UPDATE::::: the wic office in my county is still open, half the day today. They say they don't know what tomorrow holds t they are transferring the tube fed formula kids to them and she can pick it up there right now. So she's on the way up there right now. Hopefully they'll get it over there for her to pick up and it goes as planned.

Wish her luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackcat31 View Post
        I agree. If I didn't have a credit card, I would be selling my furniture or anything else I had to in order for my children to have their needs met.

I certainly wouldn't be waiting around for some government agency to help me out.

Comment

She still needs to make a big deal about it to the media. The wic office went out of their way to find a solution for her and the others. Seems there is some old law that can actually fine or put people in jail for working during a shutdown. She needs to say how thankful she is for the local people and has no idea what will happen next month if congress does not get their act together.
          It:: will wait

Comment

Wow! How scary for her! At least if she's able to get it today she should be set for the rest of the month and they can put next month's on a credit card or something but I doubt it will last that long

I have 2 parents on WIC here, both got email notifications and text messages that WIC will be operating as normal until further notice thankfully! Ours must work differently because our WIC doesn't provide anything in the office (or maybe I'm misunderstanding what she's getting), even specialty/rx formulas, just vouchers that parents use as cash for the items and they give them 3 months worth at a time. Maybe that's why ours is still open, it doesn't have that expense?

I've heard that Montana is on the verge shutting down as well but that the state will step in and provide the funds.

I saw this in the news feed http://www.wsfa.com/story/23600511/w...hrough-october

Comment

Originally posted by Cradle2crayons View Post
              UPDATE::::: the wic office in my county is still open, half the day today. They say they don't know what tomorrow holds t they are transferring the tube fed formula kids to them and she can pick it up there right now. So she's on the way up there right now. Hopefully they'll get it over there for her to pick up and it goes as planned.

Wish her luck.
              good luck! I worked in pharmacy for YEARS. Her pediatrician can request an emergency waiver for ANYTHING not covered and they have to cover it initially. Don't get me wrong, it most likely will bounce back as not covered and Mom would get the bill, but it's an option if this falls through.

I have been there, done that and it took us YEARS to get out of credit card debt and fix up our credit scores (low 400 to over 750 now) when I had 2 sick kids.

Comment

I would let my bills past due to pay formula for this child. Where is the father? He should pay formula for his child!

Comment

The child is on ssi so she gets Medicaid... And full price is like $200 a day. This is the mom that can't even afford diapers and whose kids aren't getting anything for Christmas... The mom who works two jobs and makes $25 too much for most assistance.
                  IF that is the case then she needs to work $25 less so that she can qualify- simple fix there. How sad.

Worse comes to worse, she will have to give her baby a different formula until she can get back on the other one. I would call all the above as mentioned first and see what can be done.

Bunch of programs to make sure the kids get something for Christmas too, you may need to find out what resources are available but there are programs that will help if true need is there.

I would call your licensing agent and ask them how you can best direct this parent to services that can help her. Ask for fliers, brochures, phone numbers ect.... of what is available to people that are in need of help.

best-

Comment

She tried that yesterday. Medicaid won't pay for it if its prescribed because they say its provided by WICC
                    true normally but explain that wic is not providing it right now, because of the shut down.

Wic is a separate program from medicaid so I am surprised by this-

eeeeh what a mess.

Comment

I agree with this too, but I am gathering that this women has exhausted all efforts already that way and does have a true need. My response was off of that being a given. I totally agree that I would do everything I possible could before asking for help, hand outs etc... but so many people today don't. They just want everything handed to them, and some people do enable this form of thinking. I feel programs should be run this way, with the thoughts of giving a hand up to help others not as a lifestyle choice for people who don't want to work, look for work or help themselves. Everyone can do something- unless you are no more then a vegetable. These programs should incorporate that into their programs, because it gives the person that is receiving motivation, and self worth to do better and try to get off of these programs................anyway.......this is as far as I go on this subject for now, not a train I want to hop on right now, because I could go far with it and it takes me to a place I don't want to be. I started off positive and I want to try to stay that route.

Comment

Originally posted by My3cents View Post
                        IF that is the case then she needs to work $25 less so that she can qualify- simple fix there. How sad.

Worse comes to worse, she will have to give her baby a different formula until she can get back on the other one. I would call all the above as mentioned first and see what can be done.

Bunch of programs to make sure the kids get something for Christmas too, you may need to find out what resources are available but there are programs that will help if true need is there.

I would call your licensing agent and ask them how you can best direct this parent to services that can help her. Ask for fliers, brochures, phone numbers ect.... of what is available to people that are in need of help.

best-
                        The child is tube fed. There IS no different formula for her. This is the ONLY formula she can get through her J tube.

And for pp, she doesn't have a credit card. She doesn't own a home or have furniture to sell. E only thing she owns is her car and it has to get her to work.

Unfortunately here there are very few programs that can help everyone. I have contacted a local agency I work with to help with Christmas I hope.

I'm not licensed so there are no authorities except my NHI lady and I've got a call into her about a few of the issues.

Comment

Originally posted by My3cents View Post
                          I agree with this too, but I am gathering that this women has exhausted all efforts already that way and does have a true need. My response was off of that being a given. I totally agree that I would do everything I possible could before asking for help, hand outs etc... but so many people today don't. They just want everything handed to them, and some people do enable this form of thinking. I feel programs should be run this way, with the thoughts of giving a hand up to help others not as a lifestyle choice for people who don't want to work, look for work or help themselves. Everyone can do something- unless you are no more then a vegetable. These programs should incorporate that into their programs, because it gives the person that is receiving motivation, and self worth to do better and try to get off of these programs................anyway.......this is as far as I go on this subject for now, not a train I want to hop on right now, because I could go far with it and it takes me to a place I don't want to be. I started off positive and I want to try to stay that route.
                          This woman is a single mom working two jobs to support her family. She doesn't accept handouts. Her kids get wic but that's it besides ssi for her daughter.

She has a terrible time asking for help, but when it comes to her kids, she'll do what's necessary.

It's easy to say sell possessions but when you only have the clothes on your back what are you supposed to sell.

It's easy to say charge it but if you don't have a credit card how exactly do you do that??

This woman isn't asking for any help for Christmas... And every day I watch her out in the same pair of jeans... Seven days a week... That doesn't have a button so she uses a safety pin... Wearing shoes that have holes... Her bra is in five pieces that my sewing machine out back together because she refused to let me help her buy a bra and a pair of jeans.

I think you guys are simply throwing her into the profile of her expecting something for nothing and she is far from that profile so please don't go there.

Comment

The child is tube fed. There IS no different formula for her. This is the ONLY formula she can get through her J tube.

And for pp, she doesn't have a credit card. She doesn't own a home or have furniture to sell. E only thing she owns is her car and it has to get her to work.

Unfortunately here there are very few programs that can help everyone. I have contacted a local agency I work with to help with Christmas I hope.

I'm not licensed so there are no authorities except my NHI lady and I've got a call into her about a few of the issues.
                            So where does the money go that she earns? No home, no furniture, normally gets her kids' food through WIC, medical expenses to medicaid... I don't understand where the money goes. I've been in some tight situations too, but I gave up cable and cell phone, didn't buy clothes or entertainment items. I just spent money on the VERY basic items. Food and diapers for MY KIDS was at the absolute top.

I do feel bad for her situation, but sometimes parents need to think ahead a little and their kids need to come first.

Comment

Originally posted by butterfly View Post
                              So where does the money go that she earns? No home, no furniture, normally gets her kids' food through WIC, medical expenses to medicaid... I don't understand where the money goes. I've been in some tight situations too, but I gave up cable and cell phone, didn't buy clothes or entertainment items. I just spent money on the VERY basic items. Food and diapers for MY KIDS was at the absolute top.

I do feel bad for her situation, but sometimes parents need to think ahead a little and their kids need to come first.
                              She pays utilities where she lives, groceries, car insurance, gas money to drive an hour one way to daycare and then back to work... She also pays some money towards rent for her and her kids to stay with family. Don't get me started on her family.

She also has expenses Medicaid don't pay. For instance, they never get her all of her supplies and some months she has to buy extensions for the Mickey j. She also buys diapers for two kids. Also buys formula that wic doesn't provide for the baby.

When her toddler is inpatient sometimes she misses work also.

Her kids DO come first. I've seen this lady go without food for more than a few days to get something her kids need.

She doesn't have cable. She has to have a cell phone because her child is medically fragile.

Comment

Originally posted by butterfly View Post

It doesn't sound like this woman is going home and watching cable TV and chatting on her cell phone. I know that a lot of you on here have seen many people abuse the system, but I really think the woman the OP posted about works hard and is just poor. There are huge numbers of WORKING POOR people, especially single moms. Please stop judging her!
                                Last edited by Leanna; 10-03-2013, 12:57 PM. Reason: fix grammar

Comment

Working...
                                X