WICC & Government Shut Down - HELP IMPORTANT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WICC & Government Shut Down - HELP IMPORTANT

My mom of special daycare toddler just called and told me that statewide WICC will be closed for 45 days, according to WICC due to the government shut down.

Problem is that the special toddler is tube fed, and her formula is supplied by WICC. It's special formula that can't be bought and she won't be allowed to pick up until mid November at the earliest.

Her newborn is also provided formula though this agency. Although his formula CAN be bought, it's special and xpensive.

The special toddler is also on SSI.

My question is how can they deny this child life saving tube fed formula because of this shut down. Without her formula, she will DIE. She doesn't eat by mouth, only is tube fed.

The mom has no idea how to get this baby her formula and of course, taking her inpatient just to receive her tube feeding isn't an option.

We have calls into several different avenues but none look hopeful. she has enough formula for a few more days but wasn't allowed to pick up her formula for October, even though it was ordered and received at the facility on September 30th

Ideas anyone??

Omg.......how horrible! I have no idea what to do. :confused:
    It can't be bought at full price? Just mind boggling, thanks Congress.
    If it was me, I would be on a street corner with a sign or blowing up my congressman's phone.

Comment

Tell her to contact the formula manufacturer directly to see if they can give her coupons/discounts. If she signs up for the new Health Care is it covered?

What a nightmare!

Comment

Originally posted by Cradle2crayons View Post
        My mom of special daycare toddler just called and told me that statewide WICC will be closed for 45 days, according to WICC due to the government shut down.

Problem is that the special toddler is tube fed, and her formula is supplied by WICC. It's special formula that can't be bought and she won't be allowed to pick up until mid November at the earliest.

Her newborn is also provided formula though this agency. Although his formula CAN be bought, it's special and xpensive.

The special toddler is also on SSI.

My question is how can they deny this child life saving tube fed formula because of this shut down. Without her formula, she will DIE. She doesn't eat by mouth, only is tube fed.

The mom has no idea how to get this baby her formula and of course, taking her inpatient just to receive her tube feeding isn't an option.

We have calls into several different avenues but none look hopeful. she has enough formula for a few more days but wasn't allowed to pick up her formula for October, even though it was ordered and received at the facility on September 30th

Ideas anyone??
        If it was received at the facility I think I'd be calling my congressman asap. There has to be a way to get it.

Otherwise contacting the manufacturer might work.

I wonder if there is some kind of charity that would pay for it or partially pay for it?

Laurel

Comment

Maybe call the child's doctor and see if he/she has any ideas.

Laurel

Comment

I just read that Mississippi WIC program is still running. It is a Fed program, but not affected, yet. Tell dcm to look into it through a state program, to get info at least. Good luck to her.

Comment

As PP said contact your Congressmen, both at the Federal and state levels. Your state Representatives especially should be able to get something done ASAP.

Comment

CALL PHARMACIES!!! I know that we special ordered formula all the time and had many different kinds available. With a prescription, they are usually covered by insurance. (if she has state insurance, it's almost a guarantee that they will cover it)

Comment

Call the child's pediatrician and have them rz the formula, then find a pharmacy to get it.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaddidle Care View Post
                    Tell her to contact the formula manufacturer directly to see if they can give her coupons/discounts. If she signs up for the new Health Care is it covered?

What a nightmare!
                    The child is on ssi so she gets Medicaid... And full price is like $200 a day. This is the mom that can't even afford diapers and whose kids aren't getting anything for Christmas... The mom who works two jobs and makes $25 too much for most assistance.

Comment

Originally posted by crunchymama View Post
                      Call the child's pediatrician and have them rz the formula, then find a pharmacy to get it.
                      She tried that yesterday. Medicaid won't pay for it if its prescribed because they say its provided by WICC

Comment

Originally posted by se7en View Post
                        I just read that Mississippi WIC program is still running. It is a Fed program, but not affected, yet. Tell dcm to look into it through a state program, to get info at least. Good luck to her.
                        We called the Wicc office yesterday. They told us they were closing today. And there's a sign on e door today.

Comment

She may need to just put it on a credit card. Sorry she is going through this but if it was my child I would go in deep debt so my kids' needs were met. This is my child - my responsibility. I couldn't afford it either but wouldn't expect the gov't to help me out. I would put it on a credit card with no delay.

Comment

Please, please tell her to go to the media! She needs to put a picture of who is being hurt by this shutdown. This is life and death! Local media to start and then national. She has to advocate for her child.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
                              Please, please tell her to go to the media! She needs to put a picture of who is being hurt by this shutdown. This is life and death! Local media to start and then national. She has to advocate for her child.

Comment

Working...
                              X