Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whats Your Policy For Closing, Days Off, Vacation Rate Etc..??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My parents pay if their child comes or not unless and only unless I take the day off due to my illness, my own children's illness or my vacation. They pay for all major holidays meaning Memorial Day, 4th of July, Labor Day, Thanksgiing, Christmas Day and New Years Day.

I do not charge like I said if I take a vacation. Hats off to those of you that do, but I just don't get how people handle that. How can they afford to pay twice? I know that alot say that the parents plan to take their vacation at the same time so they don't have to pay double, but what if they can't. I've always wondered that. I seriously don't think that any of my people would go for it or be able to afford to pay say $280 for my full time which is 4 days because I'm not open on Fridays.

Comment

Originally posted by Texasjeepgirl View Post
      well. wow..

I do the same as all the other care givers on this site..

All the other care givers on this site?

I am not the only one on this site who chooses to run their business differently than you do. Since joining I've networked with several providers here who feel the same way I do but would never dream of speaking up for fear of the exact bullying you just displayed. This insinuation that one is uneducated, inexperienced, intimidated or some other insulting label and that causes providers across the world to be held back.....it's so hurtful, unnecessary and IMHO does a great disservice to our profession in general.

It's usually not worth getting into outside of chatter within pm's but when someone goes so far as to insult my integrity and professionalism in broad sweeping generalizations just because we believe differently.....I draw the line there.

Comment

I have already apologized ONCE for offending you.
        As I said.. it is NEVER my intent to offend or put off any provider.
        If I did that with my original post...
        I am sorry.
        I am in NO WAY attempting to bully anyone.
        Everyone on this forum comes here to find various opinions about how to handle various issues with their child care business..
        Some people are new.. some have been in this business for 15, 20, 30 years...
        Some of us are in large cities... some small towns or rural areas..
        We all have different types of competition... with our child care businesses..
        Some caregivers start out doing things a certain way.. for one reason or another...
        then gradually learn and adapt different policies as they gain experience and knowledge.

I do not know everything.... I learn new things from many of the providers here... and am often grealy impressed by the things I read..
        If I was too bold.. or well.. I struggle for proper terms to describe...
        then.. I am sorry it rubbed you raw...
        I am a busy caregiver...
        I sit down at this computer during naptime..
        I read.. sometimes I post.. sometimes I don't ..
        I never mean for anyone to be annoyed by what I have posted...
        You either AGREE WITH IT.. OR YOU DON'T...It either HELPS YOU.. or... it doesn't...
        It's always JUST MY OPINION..
        I MAKE SURE I ALWAYS PROOF READ... MAKE CORRECTIONS... AND DECIDE IF WHAT I'VE TYPED is what I want to say or not..
        But.. I'm usually distracted multiple times by small people...so.. I guess this time I got carried away and didn't realize that what I was typing was
        OVER THE TOP...for some people...

I was CERTAINLY not attempting to attack or bully ANYONE

Comment

Most daycares in my area charge for everyday whether the child is there or not. I totally understand why they do this, and respect their policies.

When making my contract, I tried to balance what I could feel comfortable with and what might attract parents to select my daycare.

I think the beauty of owning your own business is that you can choose how to run it. What is right for one daycare owner, may not be what is right for another.

I do not charge for days that I am not open. However, I am lucky in that I am basically never closed other than holidays. I have 2 wonderful subs that cover any sick, personal, or vacation days. I let the parents know when I will have a sub and they make the decision whether to bring their child or not. If they do not come for the sub day, they do pay, since my daycare was open.

I give each child 12 "free days" per year. They can use these as vacation days, sick days,... whatever. After their 12 days are used, they pay for everyday that I am open that they are scheduled to attend. I give these free days, because I am really picky about sickness. I send home even for simple colds or any sign of illness. I warn parents before they start with me that I will not watch sick kids.

Comment

Originally posted by LaLa1923 View Post
            But why?? I am just trying to get another prospective on the topic.....
            My first year I didnt have parents pay for any holidays, but they were supposed to pay for my vacation. I had that policy bc I was afraid I wouldnt get parents to sign up with me if they had to pay for vacation. They did not pay for sick days for me.

After one year of struggling through the holidays, especially thankgiving and Christmas, I decided to have most federal holidays off and paid for.

I am amending my handbook again this year, going on year 3, to include paid sick pays for myself. I had to close 3 times this year because parents knowingly brought their sick children, and got either myself or my children sick. (We're talking stomach flu-no way to work through the pain illness).

Each year I learn a little more. But to answer your "why," it was because I was afraid the parents wouldnt want to pay or sign up. I have not had any problems going forward with parents going along with my new policies, or signing up.

Comment

im in between.. i just started out and Thanksgiving has been my first real holiday and to be honest i just took Friday because most centers around here do as well. of course i take the regular national holidays because most ppl are off.. i have a sub thats really like a CO CAREGIVER so i didnt put sick days or personal days or vacation in my contract.

My problem would be parents not wanting to pay if they arent here and I know that when i was a parent paying for daycare i HATED to pay for winter break and such but on the other side i see its necessary for me anyway because of the whole ratio thing.. Right now i dont require they pay when they are not here, BUT i foresee changing it to requiring a certain fee to hold the spot for the week.

Comment

Originally posted by littlemissmuffet View Post
                I beg to differ. I have never once in all the years I have done home daycare had a parent complain or question paying for my sick time, vacation time or holidays. As a matter of fact, I once went over my 5 paid sick/emergency days and tried to reimburse the parents for the extra day and they all told me to keep it
                I make it so very clear in my interviews and handbook that when it comes to sick time, vacation or holidays parents simply pay and carry on (it might help that I am paid monthly as opposed to weekly or biweekly, however) - parents know there is zero room for negotiation when it comes to my policies or payments!
                Maybe not for you but I've read on here ALOT from providers where parents are trying to get out of paying for holidays/vacations and such.
                Each day is a fresh start
                Never look back on regrets
                Live life to the fullest
                We only get one shot at this!!

Comment

country kids for ppl like myself that i guess is gearing toward NOT charging when im not open.. what do you do if you are open and they are not planning to come? winter breaks, summer breaks, their vacay, extended sick days or more than one " i just dont feel like coming" day in the week LOL

Comment

They pay! If they are scheduled to be in attendance they are charged for it. I have it highlighted in my contract/PHB and make sure that its included in newsletters about every two months.

I have alot of teachers that have breaks off and they know from the beginning that they are charged when they are off if their child is not in attendance.

Now, I do not charge for summer breaks and never have had a problem with parents not returning. I think that is one of my perks and that is why my families (teachers) stay with me for so long.
                    Live life to the fullest

Comment

I charge a flat rate and parents pay the same amount 52 weeks per year, I take vacation and holidays paid. I have never had a single complaint. If I didn't do this I would not be able to pay my bills...I feel like I deserve the paid time off, it's a business, I set it up this way and parents can decide if I am right for them. I have never even had a interview where the parent decided to go with another provider because of this!!

Where I live, these paid holidays are the norm for most businesses and before I started daycare I worked at several different jobs where I got the holidays paid including 2 days for Thanksgiving and Christmas. I noticed a post where the provider says she was raised to only be paid for the work she will actually do. I understand every has different opinions on this subject but no way was I going to tell my boss I don't want my paid holiday because I won't actually be working.

Comment

Can someone tell me how the parents handle paying you (the provider) and also someone else when you take a vacation? If my fulltime parents that pay me $140 a week had to pay me that $140 while I'm on vacation and also pay someone else $140 for the same week would probably break some of them. I know alot of time my families take the same time off that I do because I give them my schedule in January, but there are some days that they don't. How can they afford to pay double for vacations?

Comment

Please remember also, when people have paid vacations/holidays/sick/personal time their boss is NOT paying an additional pay to someone else for the person taking the time off. That boss is not losing out on money like a parent would be. Co-workers may pick up the slack but they aren't making more money.

The person would be making their paid time off.

Then the co-workers make their money while possibly picking up the person that is off work.

The boss doesn't pay pay additional wages out.

Does that make sense?
                          Live life to the fullest

Comment

Originally posted by Country Kids View Post
                            Please remember also, when people have paid vacations/holidays/sick/personal time their boss is NOT paying an additional pay to someone else for the person taking the time off. That boss is not losing out on money like a parent would be. Co-workers may pick up the slack but they aren't making more money.

The person would be making their paid time off.

Then the co-workers make their money while possibly picking up the person that is off work.

The boss doesn't pay pay additional wages out.

Does that make sense?

If someone else is doing my job, I don't expect to be getting paid for that.

Comment

i gotcha! jus still trying to figure out what i feel is good for my business as well as fair.. set price for holding spot or full week's pay? yes i know FINE time to decide after 2 mnths in business.. it sounded nice to get paid when they are not here but i see parents are not really feeling this in this area and they have no problem switching day cares at the drop of a hat. ive gotten 3 from other places for SIMPLE stuff .. and i know i cant set my polices around my parents but at the same time, i do have to be smart and know the business climate i am in..

oh this is in reply to my question to country kids..

Comment

Originally posted by lovemykidstoo View Post
                                Can someone tell me how the parents handle paying you (the provider) and also someone else when you take a vacation? If my fulltime parents that pay me $140 a week had to pay me that $140 while I'm on vacation and also pay someone else $140 for the same week would probably break some of them. I know alot of time my families take the same time off that I do because I give them my schedule in January, but there are some days that they don't. How can they afford to pay double for vacations?
                                Most my families take vacation the same time as I do.

I also only charge 50% of regular tuition for my vacation weeks and most my parents begin adding a little extra to their weekly checks a few weeks before my vacation week.

I take my vacation weeks during a time when most people around here either have family members around for the holidays or have teenagers available to watch thier kids.

I charge for a total of 10 days per where I am not actually available to watch their children. NONE of my families have ever complained or said no. They know signing on that is my policy and recently I have even ahd a few parents tell me I should take more time off paid because they understand that a happy well rested provider makes a good provider.

If they weren't willing to pay on those 10 days that I charge, then I would have to work just to make ends meet financially and an over worked, tired stressed out provider isnt healthy for anyone.

I am grateful that my parents are all willing and understanding about my paid days off, I have good parents and good relationships with them all so I feel it is a compromise and a win-win for everyone.

This is just my opinion and how I personally do things. It is in no way the only way, the right way or the wrong way. It is just a way that BOTH provider and clients agree too and it works for all of us.

Comment

Working...
                                X