Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whats Your Policy For Closing, Days Off, Vacation Rate Etc..??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats Your Policy For Closing, Days Off, Vacation Rate Etc..??

To the providers whose parents don't pay when they close...
    Why? Why don't you have the parents pay? Like on black friday for instance...

Why do you give parents "free" days?

What do you do about your vacation? Paid or not??

I was thinking about changing my rate to include vacation time and then they wouldn't pay when I'm closed. BUT my rates will be higher than other providers around here....

Right now my contract says I get 2 "half charge" weeks, 6 holidays, day after thanksgiving, and the day after christmas. I also get 7 sick/personal days, and I close at 4pm on holloween and dec 31st.

Here are some threads: https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.p...acation+policy

Comment

I have just opened so I am giving each child 2 free weeks per year based on # of days they attend per week. holidays are paid only if the child is normally there on that day of the week. vacations are unpaid & when i close due to illness they also dont pay. they can use free days for holidays as well.

Comment

Originally posted by aprilsfool77 View Post
        I have just opened so I am giving each child 2 free weeks per year based on # of days they attend per week. holidays are paid only if the child is normally there on that day of the week. vacations are unpaid & when i close due to illness they also dont pay. they can use free days for holidays as well.
        But why?? I am just trying to get another prospective on the topic.....

Comment

I don't charge for my days off (personal, sick) or vacation days.

I charge a daily rate but the parents pay when the child isn't here.

I figure when I'm sick or off the parents have to pay someone else to watch their child why pay double when only one person is working for the pay. If a store is closed for the day, they make no money. I don't pay them for the product that day but go somewhere else and pay them.

It also seems like a fight with most providers/parents when it comes right down to it. I know the parents sign up for it but it always seems like a fight all the time-no matter who the provider is.

I guess I'm taking the day off not my clients so why have them pay me for work I'm not doing.
          Each day is a fresh start
          Never look back on regrets
          Live life to the fullest
          We only get one shot at this!!

Comment

Originally posted by Country Kids View Post

I figure when I'm sick or off the parents have to pay someone else to watch their child why pay double when only one person is working for the pay. If a store is closed for the day, they make no money. I don't pay them for the product that day but go somewhere else and pay them.

It also seems like a fight with most providers/parents when it comes right down to it. I know the parents sign up for it but it always seems like a fight all the time-no matter who the provider is.

I guess I'm taking the day off not my clients so why have them pay me for work I'm not doing.
            I understand this.. do your parents pay for a slot or hours??
            Most people get these days at a regular job though...I'm not sure if I should change it or not...

Comment

They pay for a slot
              Each day is a fresh start
              Never look back on regrets
              Live life to the fullest
              We only get one shot at this!!

Comment

Originally posted by LaLa1923 View Post
                I see a lot of providers have the parents pay whether or not the kids are there.when kids are sick and I figured 2 weeks free should stop them from having to do that, which should be a good selling point. The holidays are paid because most of my parents have paid holidays off & don't need to pay someone else & they probably get paid so why whouldnt I?. Vacations are unpaid because it is my choice to take time off & they,need to find other care so I wouldnt feel right charging them. So basically thay get 1 mo free this year, which may change next year.

Comment

Right now my policy is three pd holidays IF they fall on a weekday, and a weeks paid vacation. I added this because I found most providers around here did this and it is almost impossible for me to take a week's vacation with no pay. Working with children 12 hours a day, I feel I need that week to spend with my family or go somewhere on a trip. I feel it refreshes me and, as a result, I do a better job with THEIR children.

I am adding free days for parents this year. I did not change that when I changed my policies about 3 months ago, but I think I will. I just feel that it's a nice thing to do. I haven't decided exactly how I'm going to work it yet, tho.

Comment

I see a lot of providers have the parents pay whether or not the kids are there.when kids are sick and I figured 2 weeks free should stop them from having to do that, which should be a good selling point. The holidays are paid because most of my parents have paid holidays off & don't need to pay someone else & they probably get paid so why whouldnt I?. Vacations are unpaid because it is my choice to take time off & they,need to find other care so I wouldnt feel right charging them. So basically thay get 1 mo free this year, which may change next year.

Comment

Originally posted by Country Kids View Post

I beg to differ. I have never once in all the years I have done home daycare had a parent complain or question paying for my sick time, vacation time or holidays. As a matter of fact, I once went over my 5 paid sick/emergency days and tried to reimburse the parents for the extra day and they all told me to keep it
                      I make it so very clear in my interviews and handbook that when it comes to sick time, vacation or holidays parents simply pay and carry on (it might help that I am paid monthly as opposed to weekly or biweekly, however) - parents know there is zero room for negotiation when it comes to my policies or payments!

Comment

I am a FIRM BELIEVER in PROFESSIONALISM in my DAYCARE.

Frankly.. I feel that those caregivers that DO NOT VALUE THEMSELVES...are the providers that do not charge their clients for sick days... personal days... and vacation time... as well as NATIONAL HOLIDAYS...

Home CHILD CARE is a brutal business if you don't develop some professional policies... conduct your business as though you are the C E O of a major corporation.
                        When you don't charge for sick days... vacation days...
                        you are basically setting yourself to be a 'glorified' babysitter....

If you love your child care business... if you love the fact that you are your OWN BOSS...then be a good boss to your NUMBER 1 employee...
                        YOU...
                        Chief bottle washer... diaper changer... window washer... boo boo fixer...
                        YOU DESERVE VACATION... PAID VACATION..YOU DESERVE SICK DAYS AND PERSONAL DAYS.

I've said it before.. and I will continue to say it..

Put some thought and research into your PARENT HANDBOOK...
                        When you have a potential client... provide them with your parent handbook.. and MAKE SURE they read and agree to it...
                        If you have a client that doesn't want to pay for your sick days.. personal days... and vacation time.. then you don't need to have them as a client.
                        I agree with the post immediately before mine...
                        I don't have ANYONE COMPLAIN about my fees.. my closing dates... vacation... etc..
                        Why..?
                        Because they agree to it all when they choose me as their caregiver...
                        I make sure that my clients CLEARY understand and agree to all of my policies.. or I suggest they seek other care.

5 years ago I didn't charge for vacation time.
                        I needed a hysterectomy. My school teacher sister 'lead me to believe' that she would come run my daycare for me so that I could have the surgery.
                        (it was summer time.. she was out of school).
                        She arrived at my home on Monday evening... I had surgery Tuesday.. while she and my teenage daughters ran daycare. I returned home from hospital on Thursday.. and that evening her young son began to throw up...
                        I sent her home... and the following day.. Friday.. I ran my daycare.. with the assistance of my daughters and husband...
                        The daycare NEVER CLOSED..
                        Why.. ???
                        Because I didn't charge my clients for vacation time.. and I could not afford to close down and loose the income.
                        My daughters helped me for 2 weeks.. lifting the babies on to the changing table so that I could change them.. cooking and serving meals.. and basic supervision assistance... but I was on my feet every day... from 3 days after surgery...
                        IF I had paid vacation time back then.. I could have closed.. atleast 1 week...without suffering an income loss...

Comment

Texasjeepgirl - I cannot tell you how disgusted and beyond offended I am by many of your statements.

Just because I operate my personal business differently than you do doesn't mean I don't value myself or am unprofessional. I can't put to words how angry those sentiments make me........

You don't know me. You have no idea who I am as a person, the way I was raised, what I've experienced in my life to come to the conclusions I have......

To imply I am unprofessional, selling myself short, not taking care of myself or my family and haven't researched or put thought into my parent handbook simply because I have a different set of ethics is shocking.....just..........UGH.

I don't care what others do or if they believe otherwise. That is NOT. MY. BUSINESS. Nor is my business any of yours. I could spout all I wanted to about what I think of your policies but you know what? I won't. Why? Because it's rude and I believe we as providers should be supporting each other above all else.

Frankly, I believe you should keep your opinions to yourself if you are that hell bent on putting other providers down simply because they hold different beliefs than you do.

I LOVE my business.
                          I AM a professional.
                          I TAKE CARE of my family.
                          I TREAT MYSELF well.

None of that has anything to do with charging people for off days or not.

Comment

well. wow..

I apologize for stepping so solid down on not just a few.. but ALL of your toes..

I certainly didn't mean to OFFEND..
                            I do the same as all the other care givers on this site..
                            I throw my opinion out there...
                            As I said..
                            MY OPINION..

I just hate to see caregivers.. as you stated.. sell themselves short...

Allot of the caregivers on this site are looking for someone to guide them.. encourage them to improve their child care business.. and that is what I try to do.. but if I offended you that much with my bold opinion.. I apologize.
                            It is never my intent to PUT OFF other caregivers.. but rather to help them have more confidence ....

Comment

To the providers whose parents don't pay when they close...
                              Why? Why don't you have the parents pay? Like on black friday for instance...

Why do you give parents "free" days?

What do you do about your vacation? Paid or not??
                              I don't charge for any of my days off, holiday or not.

Why? Because my parents raised me to believe you get paid for the work you DO.

To me that's not giving parents free days. Often times parents need to find alternate care for my days off if they are still scheduled to work, so they should have to pay two providers that day if that's the case simply because I'm not available?I don't believe so. And if they have the day off I'm still doing nothing for their family and they may or may not be getting paid themselves....but I should still feel good about pulling money out of their pockets regardless? I'm sorry, but I just don't.

There are many professions, particularly for those who are self employed, that do not get paid for holidays or time off. In my heart and mind (and not meaning to offend anyone who has come to different conclusions) it is not some sort of inherent right to require payment for services not provided...in any profession.

I believe the cost of living for the masses would greatly decrease if everyone could get on board with that belief.

That said, if you chose to require it, that is entirely your business. You need to decide FOR YOU what you feel is fair. At the end of the day you need to be able to close shop and feel like what you're doing is benefiting is you and your family, you need to feel good about the way you run your daycare.

That gut feeling, is the only one that should matter.

Comment

Working...
                              X