A situation...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Thank you all, that is sort of what I was expecting. The computer was shut OFF, so I don't really consider that making adult content accessible. It happened during the time when I was cleaning up from lunch in the kitchen and putting the toddlers down for a nap in the other room. And the 10 year old girl has a cell phone that she is allowed to call and text on all day long.
    With the surveyor, I want to be up front of course, I don't feel like I have anything to hide. My error was human, and my intentions were completely innocent. But should I call her now, wait until she contacts me, write her an email explaining what happened, or just wait and see what happens?
    Why the world you allowed this 10 year old girl have cell phone during your daycare hours?? She shouldn't have cell phone because she is not a teenager yet. I would never allowed anyone to bring the cell phone in my house whether parents like or not.

I wouldn't give my 10 years old and 9 years old to have cell phone at all because they don't need to be spoil! I taught my kids "respect."

Comment

All other aspects aside...password lock your computer. If you have Windows, go to Control Panel, User Accounts and set up and Administrative user with a password so that only you can log on to the computer. This works when booting it up and when it comes back from sleep/hibernation. Your whole problem would have been avoided.

Good luck.
      Hee hee! Look, I have a signature!

Comment

Originally posted by SilverSabre25 View Post
        All other aspects aside...password lock your computer. If you have Windows, go to Control Panel, User Accounts and set up and Administrative user with a password so that only you can log on to the computer. This works when booting it up and when it comes back from sleep/hibernation. Your whole problem would have been avoided.

Good luck.
        Good advice!

Comment

Originally posted by nannyde View Post
          I don't think the state will have a problem with what was said between two adults after hours. I think they will have a problem with the child having access to that conversation during hours.
          I agree. However, like a pp said, not all states have requirements that say all children need to be within sight at all times. In my state, if a parent signs off, children age 7 and over can play on another level of the house, behind closed doors, even play outside without supervision. They must be checked on every 15 mins. That's long enough to boot my computer up, long onto FB, read a couple of messages. Should the provider have known this girl was not capable of being left unsupervised, yes. But if similar regs are in place, I doubt licensing can really do anything about it.

Something else bothers me about this whole situation. When does the child become responsible for entering an area that was off limits, turning on a piece of electronics that was off limits, and going on a website that was off limits? I would expect to have to lock doors to prevent a preschooler or toddler from entering my bedroom which is right off our play area. But a 10 year old? No I'm sorry. If this child was at school and she went into a teacher's room or desk, what would happen? Why should her consequences at home daycare be any different than that at a school or center? At 10 she'd be allowed to walk to the nurse or restroom alone at school and would have access to all sorts of things she shouldn't. But the expectation is that she would not do those things. I don't know why we has home daycare providers feel that we have to settle for less than stellar behavior from these kids just because we're in a HOME. My kids have the same rules everywhere they go. Don't touch things that aren't yours without permission, Please, Thank you & You're welcome, hold doors, wait your turn. These rules apply ALWAYS, not just in my house or at a store or at school. I don't think the content of what she saw negates her actions being completely wrong. Yet, what is she getting? Mean daycare lady said something mean so it doesn't matter what I did. SHE was the one who did wrong, not me.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackcat31 View Post
            Supervision, liability and risks I am no longer willing to assume for the exact reason the OP is posting. I do not want to deal with all the "stuff" that comes a long with a 10 year old child who in this day and age is NOTHING like the 10 year old I was.
            Exactly why I don't take school-agers either. It's too much risk.

I agree with Crystal, it's not out of line. She's basing her opinions on what is required in her state. I live in CA just like her and if this situation were to have happened to me licensing would be looking at it exactly like she said.

And like Nan said, they'll probably focus more on the fact that the 10yo was left "unsupervised" and not really on the fact that she said something mean about the DCG. The comment wasn't made directly towards the child so I doubt that it can be considered verbal abuse. Without knowing where the OP is from and what the regulations are there it's difficult to say how harsh the punishment will be if any.

Comment

Originally posted by safechner View Post
              Why the world you allowed this 10 year old girl have cell phone during your daycare hours?? She shouldn't have cell phone because she is not a teenager yet. I would never allowed anyone to bring the cell phone in my house whether parents like or not.

I wouldn't give my 10 years old and 9 years old to have cell phone at all because they don't need to be spoil! I taught my kids "respect."
              My dd is 8 and has a cell phone...not because she is spoiled but because she is at gymnastics between 12 and 15 hours per week and I want her to be able to reach me...and I don't want to sit at gymnastics for three times per week for upwards of 4 hours each time. I also want her to be able to reach me without having to rely on somone to allow her to use the phone. My kids are taught respect too.

You are making way too big of assumptions on this one. You don't know why that parent felt that this child needed a phone. I could care less if my school aged daycare kids bring a phone here as long as the parents know I am not responsible if they loose it or it gets broken.

Comment

Originally posted by MG&Lsmom View Post
                I agree. However, like a pp said, not all states have requirements that say all children need to be within sight at all times. In my state, if a parent signs off, children age 7 and over can play on another level of the house, behind closed doors, even play outside without supervision. They must be checked on every 15 mins. That's long enough to boot my computer up, long onto FB, read a couple of messages. Should the provider have known this girl was not capable of being left unsupervised, yes. But if similar regs are in place, I doubt licensing can really do anything about it.

Something else bothers me about this whole situation. When does the child become responsible for entering an area that was off limits, turning on a piece of electronics that was off limits, and going on a website that was off limits? I would expect to have to lock doors to prevent a preschooler or toddler from entering my bedroom which is right off our play area. But a 10 year old? No I'm sorry. If this child was at school and she went into a teacher's room or desk, what would happen? Why should her consequences at home daycare be any different than that at a school or center? At 10 she'd be allowed to walk to the nurse or restroom alone at school and would have access to all sorts of things she shouldn't. But the expectation is that she would not do those things. I don't know why we has home daycare providers feel that we have to settle for less than stellar behavior from these kids just because we're in a HOME. My kids have the same rules everywhere they go. Don't touch things that aren't yours without permission, Please, Thank you & You're welcome, hold doors, wait your turn. These rules apply ALWAYS, not just in my house or at a store or at school. I don't think the content of what she saw negates her actions being completely wrong. Yet, what is she getting? Mean daycare lady said something mean so it doesn't matter what I did. SHE was the one who did wrong, not me.
                I agree with you. BUT, the provider knows that the child is a problem child, so, as the adult child care provider, she never should have left the child alone long enough for this to happen. In all honesty, if you have a child that you know might one day put your business and your license in jeopardy, you quit providing services for said child so it is a non-issue. Forget about the money from this current client and think about future income that you won't recieve when said child messes everything up for you.

Comment

OP you were completely inappropriate

on every level.

Close. DO not seek the fees. Get another job.

If you could even think, much less write such things about a child, you do not belong in this field.

If you insist you are a good provider, get some counseling about your anger and spend some time on your dialect. If you live in an area where it is 'ok' to call children names that I would consider profanity, I'm sorry. If I were this mom I would sue. Did the girl send a screen shot to her mom on the phone? Did she take a picture with her phone?

There is no excuse for ever even thinking such things about a child, in your own care or down the street.

The rest of you, seriously, how could you miss that?

Comment

Did the girl send a screen shot to her mom on the phone? Did she take a picture with her phone?
                    Yes

If you allow cell phones in your day care by staff or children you must understand that they have a video recorder and camera. They can record images and sound. Once they have recorded it they can do as they please with it.

I would never allow a child to have a video recorder and camera in my home. I would also never allow a phone for texting or calling. The technology is getting cheaper and cheaper so the age of child who has one is getting younger. In the next five years it won't be unreasonable to have four to five year olds with them.

As far as calling the child the B word... well that's not a great thing to say about a little kid but is it enough to rock someones world when it's said between two adults in private? I don't think so.

The problem here is that even though legally this child may not have to have her own adult to supervise or direct visual supervision at all times... CLEARLY she really DOES need intense supervision every second AND all electronic/internet/recording devices removed.

Just because the law allows for something it doesn't mean it's sound business policy. My State allows a home child care to be completely full of state paid children but it's not a good business decision to offer that. It's low pay and it's an at risk population.

I think kids in child care over the age of five require constant visual proximal supervision IN the child care setting. I think they can do a significant amount of damage to your business and even your ability to care for kids pretty easily and pretty quickly. I think they are the highest level supervision care for birth to twelve.

I also think that the allowance to have kids outside and physically away from an adult supervising directly will go away bit by bit over the next five years or so. I don't think there are too many states that allow it and I'm sure there aren't too many insurance companies that would cover it. It will take some national news stories on kids tourching a building or shoving each other off of high fall zones and a kid getting killed or a broken neck to get it on the radar of ones who make licensing decisions.

I just can't see it gong on for too long.
                    http://www.amazon.com/Daycare-Whispe...=doing+daycare

Comment

Originally posted by safechner View Post

What's does respect have to do with cell phones? Or being spoiled for that matter? My 12 year old has been riding a public bus for the past year home from school and to dance classes so she has a cell phone so we can keep in touch with her. If keeping my child safe makes her spoiled then spoiled she is.

My stepdaughter has had a phone since she was 7...the day her mom and dad split up he got her a phone so they could talk and text whenever she wanted. Not only did it help her through the transition but it to this day keeps her from tying up her mom's phone.

Cell phone rant done.

Comment

a child of 10, with a phone

May be left alone in some states, at home alone with parents at work.

I know this because a family I quit as a nanny took that option and CPS said they could.

The problem is the B word, the A word and the absolute disrespect for the child, who is a person (and obviously an angry one at that).

Comment

So...

I guess that nobody here has ever had a bad day and made a mistake that they wish that they could take back?

I think that the OP could use a little bit of support right now instead of hearing from various posters over and over again about how she was totally out of line. She admitted that she messed up, so why all of the reminders?

OP, I hope that it all gets better for you soon!

Comment

May be left alone in some states, at home alone with parents at work.

I know this because a family I quit as a nanny took that option and CPS said they could.

The problem is the B word, the A word and the absolute disrespect for the child, who is a person (and obviously an angry one at that).

I'm thinking...reading these posts that you're the angry-rigid one. You told her to close right away, not seek fees....your world must get rocked a lot.

Comment

Working...
                            X