Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is It Any Of My Business What Time A Child Goes To Bed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JenNJ View Post
    It's their child -- anything having to do with their child is ALWAYS their business. As a daycare provider, you don't have those same rights that a parent has.

As daycare providers, we have NO RIGHT to tell parents how to parent. Unless a provider suspects abuse, I don't see how it is any of your business. If the child is always cranky and tired from lack of sleep, you have the right to terminate, talk with the parents, or give the child extra rest time. But telling someone how to raise their own child is stepping WAY over the line IMO.
    :confused: How is my asking whether or not their child slept well last night telling someone how to parent???

I must have missed something.

All my DCk's are 2 and under. When my kids are dropped off I ask:

1. When they last ate so I know when they will need to eat in case it is earlier than I had originally planned. (these are little guys, not old enough to tell me themselves)

2. How they slept so I know whether it will be a one or two nap day so I can plan activities.

3. If they have any boo-boos or medication changes for me to follow.

I really don't understand where you are coming from in saying this is not my business and is telling someone how to parent their child. :confused: How can I provide proper care without this information?? I have my kids 9.5 hours a day...5 days a week.
    - Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.

Comment

All my DC kids are just turned two or younger. Being on the same page with napping and sleeping issues is essential. I don't see that as telling them how to parent. They are always welcome to disregard any conversations and run the risk of being terminated if the situation doesn't resolve. No one is holding them and their kid hostage at my daycare. You don't like what I am saying and dont want to change anything or work together...okay theres the door, don't let it hit ya on the way out

Comment

Originally posted by cheerfuldom View Post
        All my DC kids are just turned two or younger. Being on the same page with napping and sleeping issues is essential. I don't see that as telling them how to parent. They are always welcome to disregard any conversations and run the risk of being terminated if the situation doesn't resolve. No one is holding them and their kid hostage at my daycare. You don't like what I am saying and dont want to change anything or work together...okay theres the door, don't let it hit ya on the way out
        exactly this!!!

Comment

I will admit that when I was not a daycare provider and a parent only my husband worked nights and I worked evenings and I LOVED my kids staying up late. I knew it could not last forever. But I wanted them to take a nice long afternoon nap so they were up when I got home from work. Of course our daughter wasnt in daycare. But I put her down for a nap, left for work,then my husband would get up when she did (cause he slept during the day) and then she would be up till 1130 or midnight and then we would go to sleep when daddy left for work. It honestly wasnt so that I could dump her off I wanted to see my baby and I wouldve rather her sleep while I was working I still love to spend as much time as I can with my kids. (thus starting a daycare )

Comment

thanks for all of the responses and input! I never did ask what time he went to bed. I decided it wouldn't make a difference in his bed time...they are going to do what works best for them or is easiest. I did tell her he had a very challenging day, and was overtired and went down for a nap at 12pm and slept for over 3 hours.

He has been much better today, thank goodness. if this continues to be an ongoing issue, I will address it for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Catherder View Post
              :confused: How is my asking whether or not their child slept well last night telling someone how to parent???
              Sorry -- I suck at making myself clear over the internet.

I wasn't aiming that at you. I was saying to you that of course parents have a right to know when and how long the kids nap when in our care.

Originally posted by MamaJ View Post
              is it even withing my rights to bring it up and ask that they put him to bed at a reasonable hour, or is that getting too much into their business?
              I was saying to the OP that it's not her right to tell her clients how to parent and that by requesting and earlier bedtime, she is stepping on their toes.

Comment

::::, JenNJ

OK, I thought I must have fallen into a trap somewhere....
                - Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.

Comment

Originally posted by JenNJ View Post
                  I was saying to the OP that it's not her right to tell her clients how to parent and that by requesting and earlier bedtime, she is stepping on their toes.
                  I think it's all in the approach. While I don't think she has a right to tell clients how to parent, I do think she has a right to sit down with a parent and have a frank discussion about how the child's behavior impacts her and the other kids in her care.

I think it's also reasonable for her to ask the parent if there is a way they could work together to help the boy improve his behavior. One of her suggestions could be an earlier bedtime if that's possible. It may not be something his family wants to do; they have their reasons for keeping him up late, but to me, it would be worth discussing with the parent.

If they don't want to make changes, like I said before, the OP then needs to decide what behavior she's willing to try to deal with and for how long.

Comment

Working...
                  X