Very Serious Question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very Serious Question...

Can we talk toilet paper and paper towels?

With 16 little ones (3/4's are toilet trained or in the process of toilet training), my assistants, and my family - we go through a TON of toilet paper and paper towels each month. It has become VERY costly.

Does anyone use the (commercial type) toilet paper and paper towels that you see in public restrooms? If so, do the rolls/paper towels last a long time? Is it worth the investment to buy the dispensers and paper products? Lastly, if any of you use this type of toilet paper/paper towels, where do you order them from?

Thanks for your input.

I use scott tissue cause it is gentler on our septic system. I know that northern and the other "soft" ones can clog it to easily. I do use the commercial towels and get them and the scott tissue from our local Warehouse club and GFS. They sell the dispensers too.
    I see little people.

Comment

You usually don't have to order these products. Find a warehouse in your area like Sam's or Costco.

I refuse to downgrade in the TP department but I use generic paper towels and they work great! If I had more kids I might even consider getting an air dryer!

Another good alternative is to buy a bunch of washclothes. Walmart usually has a bulk pack of 10 for $2 or $3. Let the kids use the washclothes as a towel to dry their hands and toss in a basket to wash. I'd rather wash, dry and fold washclothes everyday.

Comment

I just buy Sams Club brand in bulk and try and teach the children that they don't need one roll per bathroom visit.....sigh......

Comment

Originally posted by Childminder View Post
          I use scott tissue cause it is gentler on our septic system. I know that northern and the other "soft" ones can clog it to easily. I do use the commercial towels and get them and the scott tissue from our local Warehouse club and GFS. They sell the dispensers too.
          When you say Warehouse club, do you mean Costco or Sam's? If so, I've never thought of looking there. Thank you for the suggestion.

Comment

When I have a little one going into the bathroom I take the tissue off first and put it within their reach. That has worked wonders for us! Same with the papertowels-I give them what they need. Little ones really only need about 1.
            Each day is a fresh start
            Never look back on regrets
            Live life to the fullest
            We only get one shot at this!!

Comment

Originally posted by wdmmom View Post
              You usually don't have to order these products. Find a warehouse in your area like Sam's or Costco.

I refuse to downgrade in the TP department but I use generic paper towels and they work great! If I had more kids I might even consider getting an air dryer!

Another good alternative is to buy a bunch of washclothes. Walmart usually has a bulk pack of 10 for $2 or $3. Let the kids use the washclothes as a towel to dry their hands and toss in a basket to wash. I'd rather wash, dry and fold washclothes everyday.
              I LOVE the air dryer idea. I am going to do a web search and see what that would cost. I also like the idea of having a basket of wash clothes sitting in both restrooms that the children can use to dry their hands. I think I need to head off to Walmart this weekend. Thanks for the suggestions!

Comment

Originally posted by Meeko60 View Post
                I just buy Sams Club brand in bulk and try and teach the children that they don't need one roll per bathroom visit.....sigh......
                That is a frequent problem here. I've had to unclog many a toilets over the years. LOL!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Country Kids View Post
                  When I have a little one going into the bathroom I take the tissue off first and put it within their reach. That has worked wonders for us! Same with the papertowels-I give them what they need. Little ones really only need about 1.
                  Great idea. Just give them the amount they need and not let them help themselves. I think that alone will save me a ton of money. Thanks.

Comment

I just switched to the commercial brand from sams club and am very happy. If I recall I bought a box of 4000 paper towels for $25 and a dispenser for $20. The paper towels have lasted in the bathroom and kitchen for 3 months now and I still have half left. We are a total 12 using them. My assistant is also very wasteful with them and I still think im saving.

The prices above were for the 3 fold towels you see in restrooms. Hope this helps

oh and I am also thinking about getting the commercial toliet paper from there to. Prices are similar. But I do like the idea of putting the tp out prior for the kids

Comment

Originally posted by DaycareMama View Post
                      I just switched to the commercial brand from sams club and am very happy. If I recall I bought a box of 4000 paper towels for $25 and a dispenser for $20. The paper towels have lasted in the bathroom and kitchen for 3 months now and I still have half left. We are a total 12 using them. My assistant is also very wasteful with them and I still think im saving.

The prices above were for the 3 fold towels you see in restrooms. Hope this helps

oh and I am also thinking about getting the commercial toliet paper from there to. Prices are similar. But I do like the idea of putting the tp out prior for the kids
                      3 months??? Wow!!! That's awesome!!!

Sadly, there isn't a Sam's Club in my state and the nearest Costco is fairly far away. I think I will have to make the drive to see what they have.

Comment

You can actually shop samsclub.com - they have more online than they do in the stores - and prices are very reasonable:-))

Like PP I use Scott tp that I buy at Sam's. Any other brand seems to clog the pipes

I gave up using paper towels about a year ago. I was going thru about a roll/day - even the Bounty Select-A-Size ones! I use all cloth towels that I got at IKEA. Each towel has an attached colored hanger-hook - every child has their own color in the bathroom. I put a fresh set out each morning, and take them down after closing each afternoon. I have 5 sets - one for each day of the week - and then wash/bleach them on the weekends:-))

Comment

Originally posted by Pammie View Post
                          I gave up using paper towels about a year ago. I was going thru about a roll/day - even the Bounty Select-A-Size ones! I use all cloth towels that I got at IKEA. Each towel has an attached colored hanger-hook - every child has their own color in the bathroom. I put a fresh set out each morning, and take them down after closing each afternoon. I have 5 sets - one for each day of the week - and then wash/bleach them on the weekends:-))
                          This is exactly what I do too! I love those little washcloths! And I put up those little Command hooks and labeled each one so the kids just hang up their little towel when done.

We do use Bounty Select a size in the kitchen tho. I tried using cheaper ones and you end up just using 2-3x more towels to do the same job.

Comment

Originally posted by Pammie View Post
                            I use all cloth towels that I got at IKEA. Each towel has an attached colored hanger-hook - every child has their own color in the bathroom. I put a fresh set out each morning, and take them down after closing each afternoon. I have 5 sets - one for each day of the week - and then wash/bleach them on the weekends:-))
                            Wow! I'm surprised licensing lets you do that. We have to use 1 use towels. We can wash them and re-use, but we can't leave one hanging to use over and over. Really not sure I'd want to.

Comment

Originally posted by MissAnn View Post
                              Wow! I'm surprised licensing lets you do that. We have to use 1 use towels. We can wash them and re-use, but we can't leave one hanging to use over and over. Really not sure I'd want to.
                              Massachusetts licensing says single user for 1 day per cloth towel. If they get too wet or really dirty I change them during the day.

Comment

Working...
                              X