COVID-19 and It’s Potential Spread in the Childcare Setting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MsJen View Post
    If a child is home sick with covid symptoms and requires a covid test do you allow their sibling (with no symptoms) to come to dayhome?
    No - at least not until the sick child is tested and found to be negative for COVID. Since you don't know yet if the sick child has COVID or not, the assumption has to be that he is positive and that the sibling has been exposed. It's my understanding that the sibling should be quarantined and not at day care. If the child who is sick tests positive, the sibling would have to quarantine for 14 days from the date of last exposure. If the child who is sick tests negative, then you can take the sibling back into care, assuming he has no symptoms.

Comment

Originally posted by Gemma View Post
      Do parents bring you the test result, or do you just take their word for it?
      I may be jaded after doing day care for as long as I have been doing it but I would require a note from the doctor stating he was tested and the results were negative.

Comment

Originally posted by e.j. View Post
        I may be jaded after doing day care for as long as I have been doing it but I would require a note from the doctor stating he was tested and the results were negative.
        This. My kid had mono recently! Everyone freaked "OMG COVID" because she also had a small cold at the same time. I don't even allow testing for Covid UNLESS there is literally NO other diagnosis/explanation for symptoms. All respiratory illnesses resemble each other, so it is hard to say. A note is reasonable so that if it is a different diagnosis, then we are being fair about how to proceed.

Comment

We have to keep rewriting our covid protocols as it seems like they keep changing.

We had a teacher whose husband got tested because he called into work sick and they required a test before he could return. We let her continue to come to work as our previous policy had said a doctor had to order the test and his was randomly ordered by work. He got tested Monday and got positive results on wednesday. We sent her home and informed all the parents. Most of them wanted her to get a test so we sent her for one. She had no symptoms but did receive a positve result on Monday. We had to report to the health department and they required us to quarantine anyone who had close contact with her 2 days before the test. 12 kids and 1 teacher are now in quarantine and parents are not happy.

We had to update our COVID protocols to say that if any family member is getting a test you must stay home until you receive the results.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
            This. My kid had mono recently! Everyone freaked "OMG COVID" because she also had a small cold at the same time. I don't even allow testing for Covid UNLESS there is literally NO other diagnosis/explanation for symptoms. All respiratory illnesses resemble each other, so it is hard to say. A note is reasonable so that if it is a different diagnosis, then we are being fair about how to proceed.
            I would not have allowed attendance even with a doctors note for active cold symptoms and positive mono.

Fever/symptom free, without medication, for a minimum 48 hours would be my requirement.
            - Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.

Comment

Originally posted by satcook View Post
              We have to keep rewriting our covid protocols as it seems like they keep changing.

We had a teacher whose husband got tested because he called into work sick and they required a test before he could return. We let her continue to come to work as our previous policy had said a doctor had to order the test and his was randomly ordered by work. He got tested Monday and got positive results on wednesday. We sent her home and informed all the parents. Most of them wanted her to get a test so we sent her for one. She had no symptoms but did receive a positve result on Monday. We had to report to the health department and they required us to quarantine anyone who had close contact with her 2 days before the test. 12 kids and 1 teacher are now in quarantine and parents are not happy.

We had to update our COVID protocols to say that if any family member is getting a test you must stay home until you receive the results.
              If I were a parent and I found out that a provider had someone in their household test positive for covid and my child had been around them, I wouldn't be happy either!!! Why did she not quartine when he was waiting for test results?????

Comment

A DCD just tested positive.
                I’ve had no direct contact with him as mom does all drop offs/pick ups.
                They have two full time kids (age 1 and 3) here
                Now I am nervous....

Comment

Originally posted by Blackcat31 View Post
                  Now I am nervous....
                  :hug::hug:

Comment

Now I am nervous....
                    I'm sorry; I remember you saying this was one of your greatest fears. I hope the fact that dcm does the drop off and pick ups will be enough to keep you and the others from getting the virus. I'm returning the favor and will keep you in my prayers. Has dcm been tested yet? :hug:

Comment

Originally posted by e.j. View Post
                      I'm sorry; I remember you saying this was one of your greatest fears. I hope the fact that dcm does the drop off and pick ups will be enough to keep you and the others from getting the virus. I'm returning the favor and will keep you in my prayers. Has dcm been tested yet? :hug:
                      Thank you!

Yes DCM got tested immediately after her DH's results came back as positive. She is a nurse practioner so I am hoping/praying she continues to take the precautions she knows. I am concerned about whether or not she is planning to have the kids tested or not. If not, I worry they could potentially become infected while they are all in quarantine and then return to care after the 14 days and give it to others.

I am debating on "requiring" a test before readmittance. Not sure how effective or helpful that is/isn't. I am just more anxious about this now that it seems to be getting awfully close to my own family.

The DCK sibling I previously mentioned that got sent home from school with a high temp was tested and found not to have it so that was good!

Thank you for the prayers... my DH is freaking out so they are definitely needed. lovethis

Comment

Now I am nervous....
                        Prayers to you and your family BC. This is a scary time and things just don't seem to be getting better.

Comment

Originally posted by Valerie928 View Post
                          Prayers to you and your family BC. This is a scary time and things just don't seem to be getting better.
                          Thank you! :hug:

Comment

Thank you!

Yes DCM got tested immediately after her DH's results came back as positive. She is a nurse practioner so I am hoping/praying she continues to take the precautions she knows. I am concerned about whether or not she is planning to have the kids tested or not. If not, I worry they could potentially become infected while they are all in quarantine and then return to care after the 14 days and give it to others.

I am debating on "requiring" a test before readmittance. Not sure how effective or helpful that is/isn't. I am just more anxious about this now that it seems to be getting awfully close to my own family.

The DCK sibling I previously mentioned that got sent home from school with a high temp was tested and found not to have it so that was good!

Thank you for the prayers... my DH is freaking out so they are definitely needed. lovethis
                            I was told by my county health department if my husband contracted the virus that I would have to wait until his 14 days of quarantine is up. Then my 14 day quarantine begins. So were talking about possibly 28 days. So I would think in this situation the children would have to wait until the end of the parents quarantine time (14 days) and then the children's 14 day quarantine begins. Reason being is you don't know when the children might possibly contract the virus during the parents quarantine period.

Comment

Originally posted by Reimel61 View Post
                              I was told by my county health department if my husband contracted the virus that I would have to wait until his 14 days of quarantine is up. Then my 14 day quarantine begins. So were talking about possibly 28 days. So I would think in this situation the children would have to wait until the end of the parents quarantine time (14 days) and then the children's 14 day quarantine begins. Reason being is you don't know when the children might possibly contract the virus during the parents quarantine period.
                              That makes sense but it's not how our department of health outlines how it works.

The whole family is suppose to quarantine for 14 days and the parent with COVID is suppose to isolate themselves from the rest of the family for those 14 days as well.

I am calmer now and not as freaked out but still it's such a scary situation and being that no one really knows exactly how to handle it, it makes the anxiety lever rise for sure.

On a good note, the first thing the DCM did last night was Zelle me the payment that covers the 14 days of quarantine.

Comment

Now I am nervous....
                                Stay safe!:hug:

Comment

Working...
                                X