COVID-19 and It’s Potential Spread in the Childcare Setting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• COVID-19 and It’s Potential Spread in the Childcare Setting

Here’s a new report from the CDC where Children aged ≥10 years have been shown to transmit SARS-CoV-2 in school settings.

Children transmit coronavirus to their family members following exposure at child care facilities, according to a Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) report

Reports suggest that children aged ≥10 years can efficiently transmit SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19).

They had an article about this on my local news app and people commented and said it was the most stupidest thing they've ever saw because they said that it was common sense and criticized the news people for posting such an article

Comment

Come on, November.
      - Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.

Comment

Not surprised. We have known kids are less likely to show symptoms. We know clustering spreads it like wildfire.

I had an inquiry for a preschooler a couppe of days ago-and I have nobody enrolled so I would really love clients-and aside from a couple of other possible red flags anyway, she mentioned her daughter attending the special ed preschool. I said I am not taking kids going to dual preschools during covid.

Comment

One of my DCM's called yesterday and said her oldest child was needing to be picked up from school because someone in the child's class tested positive for COVID-19.

No symptoms from my understanding and no idea why they were even tested but they sent the entire class home and aren't allowing them to return for 2 weeks.

Odd thing is IMHO, they only sent that child's class home, NOT the other classes. It's a K- 5th grade school with 3+ classrooms for each grade level but ONLY this child's class is being quarantined/excluded none of the other grades or classrooms. :confused:

Thankfully my DCM is super proactive and is bringing her youngest who attend daycare here in to be tested before returning here. I appreciate that she understands the risks and is willing to do whatever it takes to keep peace of mind for everyone.

I think it helps that she is also a small business owner herself and does NOT want to have to shut down her business any more than I do.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackcat31 View Post
            One of my DCM's called yesterday and said her oldest child was needing to be picked up from school because someone in the child's class tested positive for COVID-19.

No symptoms from my understanding and no idea why they were even tested but they sent the entire class home and aren't allowing them to return for 2 weeks.

Odd thing is IMHO, they only sent that child's class home, NOT the other classes. It's a K- 5th grade school with 3+ classrooms for each grade level but ONLY this child's class is being quarantined/excluded none of the other grades or classrooms. :confused:

Thankfully my DCM is super proactive and is bringing her youngest who attend daycare here in to be tested before returning here. I appreciate that she understands the risks and is willing to do whatever it takes to keep peace of mind for everyone.

I think it helps that she is also a small business owner herself and does NOT want to have to shut down her business any more than I do.
            Hopefully, her older child will be ok and your dc child will test negative. How are YOU feeling about the news?

I know in our case, the board of health nurse only wanted the names of kids/parents who were in close contact with the child who tested positive. Close contact was defined as having spent more than 15 minutes with and less than 6' from the child. They also had to be in my care with the child during the 2 days prior to the child showing symptoms. They must have determined that the student in other classes didn't meet the criteria for being in close contact. Even though the child who tested positive was in my home, I'm the only one in my family who had contact with him so while I have to quarantine, my family members don't have to unless I come down with symptoms.

Comment

This is how they are doing it here, too. Let me know how it plays out. Our schools have went from attending two days to attending four days this week...I'm anxious to see how this plays out.

Comment

Originally posted by e.j. View Post
                Hopefully, her older child will be ok and your dc child will test negative. How are YOU feeling about the news?
                I dunno....Im hating the fact that there is such a process to deciding things now... What's right, wrong thing to do....:confused:

I am playing it by ear I guess and just making sure all my families know that ANY/ALL symptoms equates to exclusion.

I don't care what they say the root cause it...none of them (except one..!) are doctors so unless COVID is actually ruled out, the root cause is simply a guessing game.

Better safe than sorry.

Originally posted by Annalee View Post
                This is how they are doing it here, too. Let me know how it plays out. Our schools have went from attending two days to attending four days this week...I'm anxious to see how this plays out.
                The school said that they are following all safe protocols so the likelihood of the case spreading is low. The kids are all required to wear masks, rotate using large rooms such as gyms/cafeterias etc... washing hands, using hand sanitizer and excluding any one with ANY symptoms so crossing my fingers it helps.

I'll keep you posted as to how it plays out.

Comment

I don't care what they say the root cause it...none of them (except one..!) are doctors so unless COVID is actually ruled out, the root cause is simply a guessing game.

Better safe than sorry.
                  I agree! The situation we have here began with one child who developed a fever and cough during the night. That child was called out sick the next day and subsequently was tested. The results were negative so we all relaxed. Within a day or so, all of the kids had fever and coughs. All were tested and their tests came up negative, too. The last child to develop symptoms - a cough but no fever - got tested out of an abundance of caution. That's the child whose test came back positive! You never know!

Comment

I agree! The situation we have here began with one child who developed a fever and cough during the night. That child was called out sick the next day and subsequently was tested. The results were negative so we all relaxed. Within a day or so, all of the kids had fever and coughs. All were tested and their tests came up negative, too. The last child to develop symptoms - a cough but no fever - got tested out of an abundance of caution. That's the child whose test came back positive! You never know!
                    Exactly, you never know! I just KNEW my sisinlaw did NOT have it. Her temp was 101 and the temp to look for is 100.4. I have three nurses as clients and all of them said she DOES NOT have it, cause her temp is too high. She even tested positive for the flu as well so we just KNEW the covid test would be negative but it was positive and I was so glad I closed awaiting the results....it caused me some ulcers dealing with clients but 'it is what it is' and it was out of my control.

Until the government changes protocol, I cringe at the word covid. I sense the state is pulling away from the "help-assistance" and that scares me because the 14-24 day quarantine depending on the situation is still in place. Maybe that protocol will change with the election, I don't know. I kind of hope it does because worrying about closing your business is not fun!!! Maybe they will treat it like the flu....I don't know!

I do agree with the article and it makes sense, but still cringe at the thought of that as I will have to close for long lengths of time as of right now...I do feel that will change, though, and become less worrisome or so I hope it does!

We are told here the school choice of remote or in-person will become the new normal. I think covid has forever changed school, work-place, child care, colleges, etc. My brother works for a large insurance company and he flies all over the southeast US but he has been home since March and his company has saved so much money and have learned it works and the employees like it so it will remain in large part in that format with a few tweaks.

Look at NAFCC, the national conference was on a zoom format. Look at our licensing visits being virtual since March and it works. Look at the training/workshops that multiple child care personnel have been a part of.

Right or wrong, I see it remaining in large part?? AND I am so excited QRIS has been changed forever...the best thing yet.

Comment

Maybe that protocol will change with the election, I don't know. I kind of hope it does because worrying about closing your business is not fun!!! Maybe they will treat it like the flu....I don't know! \
                      I think it's going to be quite a while before we can treat this virus like the flu and before protocol can change. I'm ok with closing when I need to but I am concerned that it may become financially impossible to stay in business if I have to close too often this fall/winter.

Comment

I think it's going to be quite a while before we can treat this virus like the flu and before protocol can change. I'm ok with closing when I need to but I am concerned that it may become financially impossible to stay in business if I have to close too often this fall/winter.
                        I agree!

I have closed twice for fourteen days and once for a few days waiting on dh covid test which was negative.

There have been grants in place up to this point to pay child care providers or reimburse clients if they paid in advance during the closing but these grants end at the end of this month and clients/providers know what CAN happen with just the word "covid" so it is a gamble every day.

Comment

I have closed twice for fourteen days and once for a few days waiting on dh covid test which was negative.
                          Do parents bring you the test result, or do you just take their word for it?

Comment

Originally posted by Gemma View Post
                            Do parents bring you the test result, or do you just take their word for it?
                            I closed due to my own family members having covid. No enrolled families have been positive thus far.

Comment

Siblings at dayhome, and sickness policy

If a child is home sick with covid symptoms and requires a covid test do you allow their sibling (with no symptoms) to come to dayhome?

Comment

Working...
                              X