Had Anything Shocked You?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DaveA View Post
    That the parents will be the hard part of the job.
    Many of the posts after yours prove it.

Luckily for me, since I found this forum first, that won't shock me when I start. I've heard enough stories from many of you to have an idea of what I'm going to be seeing.
    Children are little angels, even when they are little devils.
    They are also our future.

Comment

Parents that think its okay to not sign their kid in/out.

Comment

Originally posted by much_lovee View Post
        Parents and grandparents that think it’s okay to turn around in my yard. My driveway is 100% straight with nothing blocking views while backing up. Why are you driving through my yard when no one is behind you?! I even had the food program lady driving through it!.
        They don’t pull through my yard, but are constantly using my neighbors drive to turn around. My neighbor hasn’t complained, but it drives me insane. I live at the end of an addition, just follow the circle around, it really doesn’t take any longer

Comment

Originally posted by Lil_Diddle View Post
          They don’t pull through my yard, but are constantly using my neighbors drive to turn around. My neighbor hasn’t complained, but it drives me insane. I live at the end of an addition, just follow the circle around, it really doesn’t take any longer
          No I just have parents flying down our 15mph subdivision roads and cuss my neighbors out when they were in the wrong! I am pretty sure my neighbors all hate my daycare.

Comment

Originally posted by amberrose3dg View Post
            No I just have parents flying down our 15mph subdivision roads and cuss my neighbors out when they were in the wrong! I am pretty sure my neighbors all hate my daycare.
            I can see why neighbors would hate our daycares with the way people act now. There is no "courteous, just do the right thing" among many people anymore. "SELF" has taken over. and unless providers (or anyone in any other profession) "TELL" people what they expect from them, people will too many times receive the "worst". I don't think only providers can fix that, it is an epidemic! :confused:

Comment

Originally posted by dreamer View Post
              What are some unexpected things you’ve encountered as a daycare provider?
              I'm shocked by:
              1) The level of disrespect that some parents can reach.

2) The childish excuses and lies parents constantly give us.
              3) The many hoops we have to jump to stay licensed.

Comment

1. parents. How oblivious, downright rude and obnoxious they CAN be. Eg. 2am 'child is sick' text. SERIOUSLY!? The lies omg the lies.

2. Kids- noooo respect. See ^. No model for respect. I haven't in the last 5 years or so, had a kid come in having basic manners, table or otherwise.

3. It's always daycare's fault. Behavior. Bedtimes. Illness.

4. The EXPENSES and wear and tear. I spend a small fortune on maintenance, supplies, food, activities.

5. The stress. Definitely a high stress job.

Comment

The lack of regard some parents have about their kids. When you think of neglected kids, you kind of think of low income. The amount of kids I see with parents who earn six figures who don't have coats, caps, socks, etc. Who never do anything fun on the weekends. The SAHMs who are perfectly ok with their kid missing a field trip because they are "too busy" to sign the form. The kids who never have a parent for Thanksgiving Dinner, holiday parties, Mothers and Fathers day breakfasts because their parents couldn't care less.

I've worked in a disadvantaged area and to see the same things on the opposite end of the spectrum but for different reasons was definitely an eye-opener.

Comment

Originally posted by amberrose3dg View Post
                    I actually had a policy about parents respecting the 10mph in my neighborhood (with speed bumps no less); i explained that because of one father who constantly sped thru here in 2015 had almost hit my elderly neighbor because he ran one of only 4 stop signs in the whole place & management of the mobile home community caught it on camera.

I got an earful from them threatening to shut me down if parents didn't respect park rules (private property - they had the right). 1st time was a warning, 2nd time immediate termination... last year,before I closed, was the only time I hadn't termed at least one family for ignoring the fact kids played in streets & that the speed limit was enforced - the one guy actually got ticked by Alcoa police his last day here - speeding thru the park.

The management here doesn't play games when it comes to safety. Police drive thru weekly

Comment

ive worked both in centers and as an assistant in an in home where the boss was not hands on so ive seen my fair share of shocks

parent wise: the best parents are the one who know their lo's are a problem. they always thanked you and always listened intently when you had issues during the day. they backed you up, paid on time, with little complaints. its a tie for worst parent between the golden spoon parent and the stay at home dad parent. those parents born with a golden spoon in their mouths literally treat you like the help from 1950. they dont care what you have to say or how their lo acted or how their day went or anything. they dont even look at art/paperwork before throwing it in the trashcan on the way out. they fight over payment for the 3 holidays that was contracted to pay. every other week they are trying "new things" sleep training ,no gluten, adkins diet etc and expected us to change everything around for their lo's new fad that would last the week and thats it. on the other hand stay at home dad always brought his lo's early no matter what and picked up late. hardly ever dresses lo or changes their night diaper. brings them with carnation shakes in their sippys, never prepared always forgetting outside gear and sometimes clothes, always paid late. then hangs out FOREVER.

payments: if the dcf was on state help its amazed me how many of them would think that care was fully paid by the $1.50/hr the state paid.

kids: poop. at one time it shocked me how many kids would stick their hands down their pants/in their diaper to grab their poop. like it was finger paint.

workers: idek how many coworkers/bosses ive worked with run across who claimed they loved kids but frequently lost their temper/would yell/berate/hit children. the worst was a coworker who brought vodka and pepsi into work everyday in her travel cup. AND how when any one noticed and alerted higher authority how many would STILL keep their jobs, for numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by LysesKids View Post
                        I actually had a policy about parents respecting the 10mph in my neighborhood (with speed bumps no less); i explained that because of one father who constantly sped thru here in 2015 had almost hit my elderly neighbor because he ran one of only 4 stop signs in the whole place & management of the mobile home community caught it on camera.

I got an earful from them threatening to shut me down if parents didn't respect park rules (private property - they had the right). 1st time was a warning, 2nd time immediate termination... last year,before I closed, was the only time I hadn't termed at least one family for ignoring the fact kids played in streets & that the speed limit was enforced - the one guy actually got ticked by Alcoa police his last day here - speeding thru the park.

The management here doesn't play games when it comes to safety. Police drive-thru weekly
                        Oh yeah we have 3 police officers that live in our development! No matter how many times. I ended up terminating people that I caught speeding. Not worth the headache.

Comment

Working...
                        X