Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Feel Like Some Parents Are Toooo Reliant On Daycare...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mummy101 View Post
    I wish I could! But I work with an agency for some of my spots and they apparently see no issue with this. They basically make the policy for "their" children. I felt like it is a loophole at best.

Sorry if my post is redundant and makes some of you tired, I am new here.
    No worries. :hug: It is a topic that is discussed a lot because it is so important.

Some subsidy programs require the child to attend full time because it is lobbied/funded by those who believe a universal approach to "raising" children will create an equal class system and more perfect society.

The old "quality early childhood education can wipe out cultural and financial issues and bring equality to the classes". Short version: Equal start = Equal outcome.The best chance is for children to be out of their home environment for the majority of their waking hours.

It has been disproven many times, but a better solution simply isn't available. Check out the 2 history books I posted, this discussion has been going on before my great-grandmothers time. No end in sight.
    - Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Mad_Pistachio View Post
      . My DC doesn't give a hoot what I do while my daughter is there, as long as I break no policies. And in the last 2 years my opinion hasn't changed.
      I also agree with you. lovethis

As long as my clients pick up before closing, I don't care what they do. I strongly encourage them to take some days off with their spouse, only. I offer parents nights out as well. I believe in supporting the marriage, since I feel THAT is what provides the best outcomes for children.

Luckily, it works for me. ::
      - Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Cat Herder View Post
        No worries. :hug: It is a topic that is discussed a lot because it is so important.

Some subsidy programs require the child to attend full time because it is lobbied/funded by those who believe a universal approach to "raising" children will create an equal class system and more perfect society.

The old "quality early childhood education can wipe out cultural and financial issues and bring equality to the classes". Short version: Equal start = Equal outcome.The best chance is for children to be out of their home environment for the majority of their waking hours.

It has been disproven many times, but a better solution simply isn't available. Check out the 2 history books I posted, this discussion has been going on before my great-grandmothers time. No end in sight.
        Thank you for the input! Most parents WANT to be with their children. I guess I just get overly offended by the ones that do not.

Comment

Originally posted by Mummy101 View Post
          Thank you for the input! Most parents WANT to be with their children. I guess I just get overly offended by the ones that do not.
          Many do, it is a natural response for someone who wants to be with their kids more BUT must work.

Try to think of it as a good thing the kids are with you. If the parent does not want them underfoot, the kid feels it. The child will have a much better day that is planned around them, with you. Kidcentric.

Comment

It does kind of make sense that it puts them on an equal footing....but even school closes at 3pm 10-12 hours is unnecessary even if you're following that line of thinking right? The people who thought that way, way back when, also advocated family dinners and early bedtimes. So I guess kids would get home from child care or school, have an early dinner, then to bed by 7pm? I remember reading some very similar things about the origin of Waldorf education.
            Last edited by hwichlaz; 07-12-2017, 03:20 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by hwichlaz View Post
              It does kind of make sense that it puts them on an equal footing....but even school closes at 3pm 10-12 hours is unnecessary even if you're following that line of thinking right? The people who thought that way, way back when, also advocated family dinners and early bedtimes. So I guess kids would get home from child care or school, have an early dinner, then to bed by 7pm? I remember reading some very similar things about the origin of Waldorf education.
              It is better for conditioning children to become "workers". Indoctrinate them early. Studies have proven over and over that by grade 1 kids who stayed at home with parents were on equal footing to peers so in the end the "head start" didn't really help much.

The biggest difference they saw is when children attended school all year round. Especially for low income families who cannot afford extra schooling or camps during the summer months. They found that low income families started in September well below their richer classmates and spent many months trying to catch up.

Comment

Originally posted by Ariana View Post
                The biggest difference they saw is when children attended school all year round. Especially for low income families who cannot afford extra schooling or camps during the summer months. They found that low income families started in September well below their richer classmates and spent many months trying to catch up.
                Not to mention the nutritional, emotional and social stability year round school provides. For some it can be literal physical safety that makes the difference. Being in a secured school building the majority of waking hours can be the difference in life or death in some neighborhoods or families. It is heartbreaking to think about.

Blanket approaches across all regions and families can't work, though. EX: Year round school at 50 hours a week here (rural agricultural town) would simply prevent families from bonding across the generations. Our youth would no longer see the value in family farms and our heritage. It would break down our culture in one generation.

Comment

Originally posted by Cat Herder View Post
                  Not to mention the nutritional, emotional and social stability year round school provides. For some it can be literal physical safety that makes the difference. Being in a secured school building the majority of waking hours can be the difference in life or death in some neighborhoods or families. It is heartbreaking to think about.

Blanket approaches across all regions and families can't work, though. EX: Year round school at 50 hours a week here (rural agricultural town) would simply prevent families from bonding across the generations. Our youth would no longer see the value in family farms and our heritage. It would break down our culture in one generation.
                  Agree completely not to mention school being only one small parametre by which to measure success. I often feel that most of the research is conducted to bolster low income families because they really have it so tough and need all the help they can get but it is certainly not a one size fits all scenario across the board, absolutely.

Comment

Working...
                  X