Having Trouble With Getting People Enrolled

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Having Trouble With Getting People Enrolled

Having trouble getting people enrolled. Here's my website: http://www.hollyspetitemaison.com/ anything on there that might be driving them away?

What things have you noticed that keep parents from making that step to tour and then enroll?
    Last edited by Michael; 07-03-2017, 11:04 PM.

Your website did not link....

I find what makes a parent decide or not decide to enroll is often personal and individual to what they are looking for and what you offer, but some universal deal breakers:
    • unclean environment
    • safety concerns
    • personality between provider and parents don't meld
    • cost
    • policy conflicts

I will say it takes longer to fill spaces in my program because I only accept children 2-5 years, I only offer part-time hours and my tuition is high. If I had to critique my program I was say my outdoor space leaves more to be desired but I attempt to make up for that with the park being directly across the street..... and us visiting daily weather permitting. I am okay taking a bit longer to fill a spot to have what I want though.

Comment

Comment

And do you mean policy conflicts as in, they don't agree with them?

Comment

After every walk-through I e-mail parents and thank them for meeting with me. I tell them I will get back to them in X amount of time if I decide to offer them the spot. If I do, and they say no, I usually send a follow-up e-mail saying something along the lines of "I am sorry we are not a good fit for your family, I do hope you find the right place for you! May I ask what your deciding factor was?" Usually it comes down to hours for us, but if it is something you wish to change you will know for the future!

Comment

2 things that I think may be turn offs: On your "Mission" page-the font is difficult to read (it's cute, I get it, but I doubt many are reading it). I'd try to find another font that is easier on the eyes.

Your photos: I COMPLETELY understand what's going on, but parents may not: the one with the kids in highchairs-I'd retake that with ZERO clutter in the background. Move the dog crate, make sure that it looks PERFECT. My own house can look like a tornado hit during daycare, so please don't feel insulted, but for photos-I'd make everything look absolutely neat as a pin.

Comment

Pics are worth a thousand words! Even though the children in your pics are probably only in the high chairs for meals, in some clients minds they are "confined all day". That is a question I get alot and I don't even have alot of confining furniture. One of my selling points is that my children are only in their PNPs to sleep, nothing more. Most clients want their children to be allowed to explore...so, even if you use the high chairs for routine use, I, personally, would not post a pic with kids in those. I would post some open-ended exploration. Just my opinions!

Comment

Originally posted by Leigh View Post
                2 things that I think may be turn offs: On your "Mission" page-the font is difficult to read (it's cute, I get it, but I doubt many are reading it). I'd try to find another font that is easier on the eyes.

Your photos: I COMPLETELY understand what's going on, but parents may not: the one with the kids in highchairs-I'd retake that with ZERO clutter in the background. Move the dog crate, make sure that it looks PERFECT. My own house can look like a tornado hit during daycare, so please don't feel insulted, but for photos-I'd make everything look absolutely neat as a pin.
                I have to agree on both points.
                We all know what chaos ensues with daycare. Your virtual tour IS daycare life in action.
                However, with a web presence, you really want to set the stage and put yourself out there in the best possible light.
                They KNOW it's not always going to look spotless, but clean/tidy IS what they look for.
                During your virtual tour, all I focused on was the piled high toys, clutter and too much to focus on.

Honestly, I would take off the whole house tour. Put some really great pictures that show off the strengths in your environment instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Leigh View Post

I agree. Us providers know what goes on but parents seem to really prefer the "nice, tidy, organized" space. As a parent, I would worry about my child having access to a diaper bag with who knows what in it (even though I'm sure it was perfectly fine, just thinking like a new client). Same with an older child holding a bottle. I would be like um wait, is she letting bigger kids give babies bottles? Stuff like that. Cute pic, but could turn people off.

The not having rates or giving a quote before a tour, I know personally that would be a turn off. I would want to at least have a baseline price before we both wasted each other's time if it wasn't something I could afford. I definitely get that quality care IS priceless, but lots of parents are on a budget so that could be a deterrent.

And last thing, don't bad mouth other care. Even saying you provide higher quality care then others and you've seen it first hand. It could be true, but it makes it look like your worried about them. Don't be. Talk up all the good about your program, what you have to offer and leave everyone else out of it. I always tell parents I'm more concerned with it being a good fit, and please do interview others. My main concern is you find the absolute best place for your family and if that's with me, that's great. Parents have responded really well to that. You come off looking professional, confident, and it shows you know your program is awesome. So much so you don't even worry about the competition

But yeah, minor stuff, overall it looked nice! Enrollments here tend to pick up in the next month or so and hopefully that's the case for you!

Comment

It was a lot to read and process all at once... is there a way to incorporate some great photos that allow you to trim some of the written information? When I worked on the advertising for my former employer the goal was short and sweet and to the point. Pictures are great because they show your program in action and with a follow up email you can go into more detail. Also, I may have missed it, but since your menu is something you are passionate about, have you taken photos of prepared meals?

I know my house looks messy at points during the day because I stay child focused and then clean during naps and in the last 30 minutes before pick up. When I have taken business photos I've tried to keep in mind staging the photos like you would when selling a house.

I also agree on focusing on you and your wonderful program and not putting down other providers. Stay on the positive side of things.

And for full disclosure my daycare advertising is strictly word of mouth ( I am in my 12th year of business ), my advertising experience was when I worked at a multi-doctor practice. My advice might totally miss the mark when it comes to advertising for daycare.

Comment

Originally posted by trix23 View Post
                      And do you mean policy conflicts as in, they don't agree with them?
                      Yes. It could be the policies of a program that parents don't agree with, it could also be the tone of a program's policies...

In example, my program contract allows for ample family breaks and holidays throughout the year - this obviously would not work for every family. My program also requires children to bring lunches from home which also would be a deal breaker for some families, etc. - those are examples of potential policy conflicts.

Also, I also have found the tone of some contract / handbooks to be negative in tone and that can be off-putting.

In example, a provider can say:

"We provide all inclusive care including diapers, wipes, supplies and all meals so no additional items are needed. For the safety of all children please do not bring individual items or bags from home."

alternatively a provider could say:

"We do not allow any outside food or supplies from home."

Both convey a similar message but the tone is different. I personally do not feel either is wrong. I will say you have to know your community and clients. In my community the second wording would be off-putting but my best friend who is a lawyer would rather that wording so you have to know your audience.

(These comments are not specific to you.... just general feedback from moms in circles I know in regards to their experiences.)

Comment

I didn't read the other comments. Your website is very pleasing to the eyes and has a nice, colorful feel to it.

My only suggestion is to remove the videos and use more photos. Sometime people have a greater expectation with videos. Photos leave more to the viewer's imagination (which will be better than what you can produce on video).

Comment

The echo the providers above who commented on the fonts, quality of photos and wording on the site, etc. Looking at your site you do have a lot to offer however one has to dig to find it. Instead of listing potential changes to your site I would suggest you do some market research to see if your program would be in demand as a French Immersion Daycare... I could see that being a unique hook especially if paired with organic food and green practices!!

Personally your menu would be a deal breaker for me. As mentioned before, I am the parent of a child with a life threatening allergy and seem to live in an area where allergy concerns are common (two of our three public elementary schools are 100% peanut free) and an area where parents have different dietary practices i.e. kosher, or vegetarian, etc. one universal items is a lack of processed foods. Your menu is filled with red flags for an allergy parent - but that is also a good way to weed them out if you do not want to appeal to that group.

Comment

First of all, I love your space, the fact you have a door leading right to the backyard, and your website is really nice. But yes, the pictures show some things that would be a turn-off for me. The high-chair picture, slides on the cement blocks, dirty bowls on the table with toys. Things that are definitely a part of dc life but like pps have mentioned, you don't really want to portray as an introduction. Set up each space in an almost pristine way, snap a picture, and you're good.
                            I like your mission statement, it tells how I feel too. Your menu would be okay for me but things such as fruit cocktail would get a frown. If you had mixed fruit salad it works better.

How many dcks do you have and how many more do you need to be filled?

Comment

I would get rid of the child sitting up in a rock n play (safety) and the photo after of the child playing with toys on the table and a dirty bowl right next to him.
                              Some of the other photos I would crop in to feature more of the kids and less of the environment if there is anything that isn't perfectly neat (like another poster mentioned).

The easiest way to get GREAT photos of your place is to take them when the children aren't there. You could then stage a few photos where the environment is PERFECTLY neat/clutter free to include if you feel you need children in them. I've found that I don't need any photos with children in them, however. Photos of the environment for a tour is more than enough.

Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                              X