Charging To Hold A Spot For Summer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charging To Hold A Spot For Summer

So one of my moms has changed her schedule four times in the past year. The changes have mostly been understandable: new responsibilities at work...grandma not being consistent on which day she wanted to watch grandkids...trying to work out care for dcb who is starting K in Fall.

But I'm a bit maxed out with the changes and I was thinking to go weekly with this family to cover the fact that they have not been coming consistently on Thursdays, but I have three families who want the two Thursday spots I have available in Fall.

But then today dcb says "I won't be coming here in the Summer." What??? I text mom and ask if she knows what days she wants in the Summer, and she tells me that she is doing nanny-share for the Summer, but would like to be here in the Fall.

Well with all the changes, I don't feel like I can take her word for it, and I feel like I need to protect myself. I immediately texted mom back and asked if she was willing to pay to hold the spot open for Fall, and she said she understood and asked how much.

So I need to think of how to cover myself for possible Fall no-show and also to cover myself now for the flaky Thursday thing. And what to tell the other two families? I was leaning towards giving this family one of my Thursday spots, but now I don't know.

I'm thinking to go weekly now (like NOW) and to ask for at least one month non-refundable deposit for Fall. What do you all think?

Originally posted by Mom2Two View Post
    So one of my moms has changed her schedule four times in the past year. The changes have mostly been understandable: new responsibilities at work...grandma not being consistent on which day she wanted to watch grandkids...trying to work out care for dcb who is starting K in Fall.

But I'm a bit maxed out with the changes and I was thinking to go weekly with this family to cover the fact that they have not been coming consistently on Thursdays, but I have three families who want the two Thursday spots I have available in Fall.

But then today dcb says "I won't be coming here in the Summer." What??? I text mom and ask if she knows what days she wants in the Summer, and she tells me that she is doing nanny-share for the Summer, but would like to be here in the Fall.

Well with all the changes, I don't feel like I can take her word for it, and I feel like I need to protect myself. I immediately texted mom back and asked if she was willing to pay to hold the spot open for Fall, and she said she understood and asked how much.

So I need to think of how to cover myself for possible Fall no-show and also to cover myself now for the flaky Thursday thing. And what to tell the other two families? I was leaning towards giving this family one of my Thursday spots, but now I don't know.

I'm thinking to go weekly now (like NOW) and to ask for at least one month non-refundable deposit for Fall. What do you all think?
    Personally I wouldn't want her back at all with all the confusion and schedule changes she has going on.

ANY time someone wants to short me money so they can save (using alternate care in the summer) money it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

I am not saying they need to be loyal to you no matter what but multiple schedule changes and temporary withdrawals is tooooooo much drama for me.

Comment

* CHARGING to hold spot.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackcat31 View Post
        Personally I wouldn't want her back at all with all the confusion and schedule changes she has going on.

ANY time someone wants to short me money so they can save (using alternate care in the summer) money it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

I am not saying they need to be loyal to you no matter what but multiple schedule changes and temporary withdrawals is tooooooo much drama for me.
        I know what you're saying. It's getting too much for me too. I'm writing a new contract right now to have her put her money where her mouth is. At least she can make a decision and let me get on with my life.

Comment

Next.
          - Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.

Comment

I would tell her the cost would be her normal rate of care as you do not hold spots. I would immediately try to fill that spot with another family ASAP.

I don't quite know what you mean by going weekly, do you current charge by the day? If so I would immediately switch that going forward for all families in your care.... I charge monthly but others charge bi-weekly or weekly - daily payments IMO encourage flakes who want to pay as a little as possible. I do know one local provider who has a by the day rate with a 3-day min per week, she adds all the scheduled days and charges them by the month in advance of care.

Comment

I agree with BC. If you don't need them, I'd either let them go, or would charge maybe 75% of your normal charge for the summer. If that's too much for her, then they go.

If you want to keep them, 1 month pay for the summer is ok, if you have the option to get summer care clients to fill in some of what you lose. If you're going to lose a full month of income by doing that, that's too big a discount. As many have said here, parents shouldn't be charged based on attendance, it's based on the space. It's not fair for you to lose money over the summer so she can save.

For Thursdays, if she's not normally there on Thursdays, I'd let others have that day and tell her it's not even an option, unless she wants to pay you for it EVERY time.

What it all comes down to is, you provide a service, they pay for it whether they use it or not. Any adjustments are solely at your discretion and should be determined by what you feel is fair to you.
              Children are little angels, even when they are little devils.
              They are also our future.

Comment

I would charge the full amount.

One of my families in passing said they would be gone all summer for a vacation and never asked about a discount. They understand that full monthly tuition is due regardless of attendance (they take at least a week vacation every two months) and never have asked for a discount. It is written in my contract and handbook, and verbally explained during the interview.

Comment

Yeah, I agree with all the above. And as I am thinking about it...I am realizing that no matter how big a non-refundable deposit was, it's no substitute for an on-going family.

I have actually charged hourly for the whole 4.5 years I've been doing daycare. The reason is that we've had a lot of demands in our family life with different things, and it's been a real squeeze for me to work at all. So part-time families have been great. But things are a bit more stable for us now, and I'm transitioning to working at daycare being more of a full-time profession for me rather than wanting bare-minimum earnings.

One of the things that really bites with this family is that the last time there was a schedule change, it was because they were trying out a different daycare part-time (still with me on Fridays), because it was close to where dcb would be starting kinder. Okay, fine. But then they didn't like it. There were so many SA kids and they didn't separate ages, so the dcg3 was getting pushed around and dcb4 was learning crude words etc.

So they came back and I felt like my great program and group of children was being recognized and appreciated. So I offered to transport dcb as well as my other two who are starting K in Fall. I worked out insurance for all this. And now she's going to give nanny-sharing a shot. Grrrr! Finding good care is NOT easy!!!!

Comment

Changes can complicate things, but in business, sometimes changes are needed.
                    Children are little angels, even when they are little devils.
                    They are also our future.

Comment

Originally posted by Mom2Two View Post
                      Yeah, I agree with all the above. And as I am thinking about it...I am realizing that no matter how big a non-refundable deposit was, it's no substitute for an on-going family.

I have actually charged hourly for the whole 4.5 years I've been doing daycare. The reason is that we've had a lot of demands in our family life with different things, and it's been a real squeeze for me to work at all. So part-time families have been great. But things are a bit more stable for us now, and I'm transitioning to working at daycare being more of a full-time profession for me rather than wanting bare-minimum earnings.

One of the things that really bites with this family is that the last time there was a schedule change, it was because they were trying out a different daycare part-time (still with me on Fridays), because it was close to where dcb would be starting kinder. Okay, fine. But then they didn't like it. There were so many SA kids and they didn't separate ages, so the dcg3 was getting pushed around and dcb4 was learning crude words etc.

So they came back and I felt like my great program and group of children was being recognized and appreciated. So I offered to transport dcb as well as my other two who are starting K in Fall. I worked out insurance for all this. And now she's going to give nanny-sharing a shot. Grrrr! Finding good care is NOT easy!!!!
                      Sadly, it wasn't being recognized or appreciated it was just the easiest thing or most workable option they have available.

DCM is showing you that by continually looking elsewhere (for WHATEVER reason) for cheaper or closer or easier that she doesn't value or appreciate you. She just knows you are their safety net. You will be there willing to take them (and go the extra mile...getting insurance) no matter what situation they have going on.

You are their "It will do for now until something better comes along".

I am sorry if that really is true....I doubt myself sometimes as it IS easy to become jaded in this business but so far based on what you've said about this family...they are using you and will leave in a heartbeat when they don't need you anymore.

Do what works best for YOU!!!
                      ....and do NOT feel bad about it! lovethis

Comment

Yup.

I would give notice at the end of this school year, and fill the space with a more stable family. Mom doesn't get to decide my enrollment or income, I do.

Comment

Sadly, it wasn't being recognized or appreciated it was just the easiest thing or most workable option they have available.

DCM is showing you that by continually looking elsewhere (for WHATEVER reason) for cheaper or closer or easier that she doesn't value or appreciate you. She just knows you are their safety net. You will be there willing to take them (and go the extra mile...getting insurance) no matter what situation they have going on.

You are their "It will do for now until something better comes along".

I am sorry if that really is true....I doubt myself sometimes as it IS easy to become jaded in this business but so far based on what you've said about this family...they are using you and will leave in a heartbeat when they don't need you anymore.

Do what works best for YOU!!!
                          ....and do NOT feel bad about it! lovethis

Yes to this!

I have no issue with parents wanting to change daycares, but i am also not an idiot. I know when they are looking for cheaper and trying to keep me on the hook, just in case. I dont like it and i dont let them come back when things dont work out (they rarely work out). Call me petty, but I value myself and know i would have a tough time looking past it, so it would be an awkward relationship...aint nobody got time for that!

Tell her that you will be filling the spots and wishe her the best of luck! And when she calls this summer bc the nanny share falls apart, dont answer your phone!::

Comment

1. Grandma care, 2. nanny share, 3. inconsistency, and 4. argues with your policies (illness especially) all tell me you will have a much better summer without this family. They seem to be the source of the majority of your job stress. :hug:
                            - Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.

Comment

Agree with the others!

She pays fulltime for the summer OR you get rid of her. She is using cheap student labor for the summer and sharing the expense with someone else while your family goes without?? Not only that but she didn't even tell you!?!

Um nope!!

Comment

Working...
                              X