No announcement yet.

Incentives for Reading Parent Handbook?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Incentives for Reading Parent Handbook?

Do you offer any incentives for parents if they read your entire Parent Handbook? If so, how do you 'test' for it?

I've heard some providers putting coupons on monthly newsletters and they rarely get seen/redeemed.

Now, hear me out - I totally understand that parents shouldn't have to be treated like kids and offered rewards for doing what they should be doing anyways (even though society does this to adults all the time and it can be quite effective ). It's their responsibility to read my handbook regardless. I understand the argument for not needing to do this at all

This is something I'm just curious about doing for myself for several reasons. My handbook is lengthy, I have a knack for spelling things out in crazy detail, and I'm not even done yet. I'm expecting parents to read the whole thing before an interview, and it will take some time, so offering $30 off a week of care or something like that seems worth it to me. Most parents probably won't even do it but it could help weed out or reaffirm which parents may be a great fit. It could save some of my time and sanity by not having to email or post policy reminders as often.

Problem is... how do I 'test' to see if they read it all? I thought about including a weird symbol throughout my handbook and making it a non-searchable PDF (then having parents send an email listing where all the symbols are - making it more of a game instead of a test) but there are some downsides to that option (lower image quality, potential to convert it back to a searchable PDF).

I could do a quiz at interview time but that feels weird... . Or maybe it wouldn't be?

Originally posted by Max View Post
    Do you offer any incentives for parents if they read your entire Parent Handbook? If so, how do you 'test' for it?

I've heard some providers putting coupons on monthly newsletters and they rarely get seen/redeemed.

Now, hear me out - I totally understand that parents shouldn't have to be treated like kids and offered rewards for doing what they should be doing anyways (even though society does this to adults all the time and it can be quite effective ). It's their responsibility to read my handbook regardless. I understand the argument for not needing to do this at all

This is something I'm just curious about doing for myself for several reasons. My handbook is lengthy, I have a knack for spelling things out in crazy detail, and I'm not even done yet. I'm expecting parents to read the whole thing before an interview, and it will take some time, so offering $30 off a week of care or something like that seems worth it to me. Most parents probably won't even do it but it could help weed out or reaffirm which parents may be a great fit. It could save some of my time and sanity by not having to email or post policy reminders as often.

Problem is... how do I 'test' to see if they read it all? I thought about including a weird symbol throughout my handbook and making it a non-searchable PDF (then having parents send an email listing where all the symbols are - making it more of a game instead of a test) but there are some downsides to that option (lower image quality, potential to convert it back to a searchable PDF).

I could do a quiz at interview time but that feels weird... . Or maybe it wouldn't be?
    They don't read contracts either... I know most my families read the policies online because they question one or two each & every time I interview, but the contract - not so much

I actually have a sentence in my contract stating if a parent shows me the particular sentence that states the discount at the time they sign, I deduct $10 right then & there from first fee... haven't done it yet because the last 2 people didn't ask/show me the statement.

Comment

Here are several tips/suggestions and ideas I've used in the past quoted from an older thread:

Originally posted by Blackcat31 View Post
      I have those same statements at the end of the handbook and require parents to initial the statements. I also have the following (which they must also initial)

"Failure to read the handbook does not give me permission to violate policies or be free from the consequences of violating policies" _______

That line has saved me a ton of times. Especially when parents say "Well, I didn't know" or "I must have missed that part" or anything similar.
      Another great tactic for getting parents to read your handbook is to hide a "discount phrase" somewhere randomly in your pages.

I add something like "the discount word is 'toddlers'. Tell me this word and what page you found it on and you will receive a $10 discount on your next invoice. This discount is valid for the first 30 days of services."

I hide the phrase in different spots, use a different amount for a discount and use a different word each time. That way another family can't tell a new family where the secret discount is hidden.

Surprisingly only 1 parent in the last year did not find the word and take advantage of the discount.
      I don't print off ANY paperwork for clients. I send everything via pdf files in an e-mail. They can print out what they need or just keep it on their devices.

I had a mom once a few years ago (I posted about her) that would question my policies DAILY!

It got really old really fast.... so one day I once again was "refreshing" her memory as to what my handbook said and she could tell I was a bit miffed so she replied "Well, it's not like I keep a copy of your policies in my purse" (really snarky)

So me, being me I took my handbook (all 35 pages) and printed it off in a teeny tiny purse sized booklet and gave it to her at pick up.

She was not amused.

But myself and the parent who happened to catch the morning conversation exchange as well as the gifting of my teeny tiny purse sized handbook, pretty much laughed until we cried after the DCM left. :: ::

Comment

I add something like "the discount word is 'toddlers'. Tell me this word and what page you found it on and you will receive a $10 discount on your next invoice. This discount is valid for the first 30 days of services."

I hide the phrase in different spots, use a different amount for a discount and use a different word each time. That way another family can't tell a new family where the secret discount is hidden.
        Are the parents able to search the document (even if a PDF) for the discount word?

So me, being me I took my handbook (all 35 pages) and printed it off in a teeny tiny purse sized booklet and gave it to her at pick up.
        :: ::

Comment

Are the parents able to search the document (even if a PDF) for the discount word?
          Do you mean via a search app or Google function?

If so, I suppose they definitely could but they'd have to know the secret word ahead of time.

I use a different word and/or phrase each time so they don't know what they are looking for. When they find it, they realize what it is, but its random and never the same thing twice.

Comment

BC. I may have just wee'ed in my pants.

Comment

Originally posted by laundrymom View Post
              BC. I may have just wee'ed in my pants.

Back into Pull-ups you go!

Comment

As I started reading my thread this was my FIRST thought. I am continuously amazed on this forum at discussions where I initially go "Really, this is a question":confused:... then lots of people respond back with actual experience and I have to change my thought process to "Really?! This is something that is a possible actual issue."

Also, as pro procrastinator and document scanner for just the info I want, symbols would stick out like a sore thumb, a code word would blend in better.

And $30 off a week?! Ouch! Maybe a certificate for the local ice cream parlor, or a gift card for coffee or McDonald's. Something like that is a one time expense (you could keep a couple on hand) and they're getting something tangible. Tangible always seems to motivate.

Comment

I don't tell the parents that it is there, but I put at the end of a random sentence "if you have read this far, email me at daycaredays one two three at yahoo dot com for twenty five dollars off your next payment". I spell everything out so they will only see it if they are actually reading. Since starting this almost a year ago, one person out of 6 found it

Comment

Back into Pull-ups you go!
                    Rofl!!!

Comment

Don't know about incentives, but I have been tempted to add something insane in the middle of the handbook...

"Every Friday at pick-up clients are to strip naked and run around their car three times with a feather up their nose while singing The Wheels on the Bus. Then payment checks must be presented to the provider in a yellow envelope while standing on one leg"

I will for sure get it back with the bottom signed "I have read and understand the policies of the daycare and agree to follow such policies"

Comment

I read it with them...solved the problems. Most anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Meeko View Post
                          Don't know about incentives, but I have been tempted to add something insane in the middle of the handbook...

"Every Friday at pick-up clients are to strip naked and run around their car three times with a feather up their nose while singing The Wheels on the Bus. Then payment checks must be presented to the provider in a yellow envelope while standing on one leg"

I will for sure get it back with the bottom signed "I have read and understand the policies of the daycare and agree to follow such policies"
                          I don't remember the website, but a few years ago I came across one who's Terms and Conditions basically stated you would give them your first born. It was a humor site, and was being obviously funny, but... it was in there, and millions of people had agreed to it.

Comment

Families get one week vacation at half price per calendar year..... i never tell them about it...it's only in my handbook. It's only been used twice.

Comment

Originally posted by jenboo View Post
                              Families get one week vacation at half price per calendar year..... i never tell them about it...it's only in my handbook. It's only been used twice.
                              That's bloody brilliant

Comment

Working...
                              X